Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange day at the Pet Fair

Lucky Rescue
June 26th, 2004, 09:34 PM
I think we better change our name to "Lucky Bunny Rescue"! Two bunnies we had for adoption got snapped up right away, while our gorgeous cats, including 4 purebred and scrumptious Manx kittens languished. Two of them did get adopted towards the end of the day though. Go figure. The bunns were very cute though!

I got to meet all the rescue people I have just known through email and that was nice.:) Such dedicated and wonderful people they are too! They even handed out Krispy Kreme donuts. :p

Seeing so many beautiful and sweet dogs and cats in one place - all unwanted and dumped - was very sad, and these are the lucky ones!:(

Oh, well - better luck next time!

Sorry, just rambling..... :D

chico2
June 27th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Lucky,I'm glad the bunnies got a new home....too bad about your beautiful cats.Was there a big turn-out?
It's sad you had to lug them all back,but at least they are in a safe place and maybe next time it will be their turn :)
I've never heard of a pet-fair here in Oakville,but HS sometimes has open house with reduced adoption-fees.

Luba
June 27th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Ahh LR thats sad about the cats.
What happened to them?

Lucky Rescue
June 27th, 2004, 02:21 PM
You mean our cats, Luba? Most of them went back to their cages at the vet.:(

BTW Luba - what do you know about hormone deficiency? One of the little Manx kittens had no hair when he was dumped and the vet says she believes it's a hormone deficiency. The hair is growing in now, but he is very thin and pitiful looking.:( The vet doesn't want to do anything other than see if he will grow naturally now.

Luba
June 27th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Ohhhh do you have any applications though that look promising?

Lucky Rescue
June 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM
I just added something. Please take a look!:)

Luba
June 27th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Hormone deficiency in kitty hmmm... maybe because of being altered?
There must be a herbal remedy to help this... I'll do some poking around and see what there is. BRB ;)

Luba
June 27th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Ok this is what I got LR

Quote:
Feline endocrine alopecia is a skin disorder that results from a hormone imbalance in the cat. The hair loss may be significant causing symmetrical bald spots on the abdomen, thighs and underside of the tail. Normally, cat hair is shed and is readily replaced with new hair. A cat suffering from feline endocrine alopecia is unable to grow new hair. A cat's endocrine system (the system which controls a cat's chemical balances) regulates hormones that are associated with hair growth. It is thought that an imbalance in a cat's thyroid hormone, estrogen and testosterone play a part in endocrine alopecia in the cat and hair loss. When a cat's hormone levels fall below normal, hair loss is a symptom of that condition. Treatment of feline endocrine alopecia involves hormone supplements to bring levels back to normal. Hair growth should return as a result.

A build-up of toxins from various environmental sources, and even food, can cause feline hair loss. The toxins come from chlorine in water, fluorides, cleaning materials, carpets, and pesticides. The contaminants get circulated in the cat's blood over time and become lodged in the cat's organs and skin. In order to correct the problem, it is necessary to address the cat's organs that cleanse the blood of such contaminants, like the liver, kidneys and lungs. There are products that can help detoxify a cat. Veterinary advice is important to determine and verify that the cat's hair loss is toxin related.

Feline hair loss can also be the result of an underlying skin problem. Excessive scratching, skin biting and licking, causing hair loss, may be due to a skin problem. Excessive grooming by a cat can also cause hair loss. Hair loss on the abdomen and inner thighs are areas that might be areas of irritation from fleas, parasites or allergies. Careful observation can help distinguish between a behavioral problem and a medical problem.

Karin
June 27th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Mmmmm..Krispy Kreme Donuts!

This weekend, an Adopt-A-thon for cat's is being held in Gainesville. The official talley is not in yet but they rocked yesterday! University Of Florida's "Operation Catnip" team is on hand offering low cost (or free, depending on income) exams & vaccinations. This is also a pet fair and dogs are welcome too.
Fiesty Acres, a cat rescue which is called home for over 240 cats has adopted 23 cat's and kittens so far. *Go Edna!*
Cash donations were very high yesterday too. I work weekends so I could not attend, but being the nosey person I am, I am still getting some details. I can't wait for the final results. Alachua county's animal control merged with Gainesvilles Humane Society a few years ago...with great success. I think it's wonderful when government and a non profit organization that stuggles can join forces... all animals benefit.

Not bad for a college town with school out, I like to see high numbers but every ONE adoption counts.