Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

FDA requires Evangerís to get emergency permit

sugarcatmom
April 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2008/04/24/fda-requires-evangers-to-get-emergency-permit/

April 24, 2008

News release just in from the FDA:

Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA Orders Pet Food Maker to Obtain Emergency Operating Permit

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an order requiring that Evangerís Dog & Cat Food Co., Inc., in Wheeling, Ill., obtain an emergency permit from the FDA before its canned pet food products enter interstate commerce.

A recent inspection revealed significant deviations from prescribed documentation of processes, equipment, and recordkeeping in the production of the companyís thermally processed low acid canned food (LACF) products. These problems could result in under-processed pet foods, which can allow the survival and growth of Clostridium botulinum (C. botulinum), a bacterium that causes botulism in some animals as well as in humans.

ďAs outlined in the Food Protection Plan, the FDA uses a risk-based approach to locate the areas of greatest risk for foods, and targets preventive controls and inspections to those areas, ď said Dr. Stephen Sundlof, director, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. ďThe FDAís authority to issue an order requiring an emergency permit is an enforcement tool designed to prevent unsafe foods from reaching consumers.Ē

The FDA issues an ďOrder of Need for Emergency PermitĒ if the agency determines that a company fails to meet the regulatory requirements to process a product that does not present a health risk. For Evangerís to resume business, the company must document that corrective actions and processing procedures have been implemented to ensure that the finished product will not present a health hazard.

Botulism is a powerful toxin that affects the nervous system and can be fatal. The disease has been documented in dogs and cats. Signs of botulism in animals are progressive muscle paralysis, disturbed vision, difficulty in chewing and swallowing, and progressive weakness to the body. Death is usually due to paralysis of the heart or the muscles used in breathing.

In light of human botulism illnesses and recalls that occurred due to under-processed hot dog chili sauce, and potentially under-processed canned green beans, FDA has urged all LACF processors to review their operations and the apply scientific principals and regulations that have been established to provide a safe product.

While FDAís Center for Veterinary Medicine has authority over animal feed and foods, CFSAN is responsible for regulating all human and animal LACF processing. The two centers are collaborating on this enforcement action.

LifeIsMyDog
April 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hi, I heard about the statement so I am new to these blogs. I was concerned so I got on the company website and this is what I found. Sounds like the emergency email was worded poorly:

April 25, 2008

To Our Valued Customers:

The US Food & Drug Administration conducted a routine inspection of Evangerís Dog & Cat Food Co., Inc. during February & March of 2008. As a result of the inspection, the FDA raised questions regarding recordkeeping. Neither Evangerís nor FDA has received ANY customer complaints questioning the safety of Evangerís products relating to this minor recordkeeping issue.

The FDA has not raised any questions as to the safety of any of Evangerís products.

Although FDA has raised these questions about recordkeeping, Evangerís continues to make and distribute its products with FDA approval. Evangerís is working closely with expert process consultants, TechniCal Inc., which has already fully addressed many of FDAís inquiries, and we expect to have all FDA concerns fully satisfied shortly.

Evangerís is committed to providing high quality, safe, and nutritious all-natural and organic pet food, as it has done since 1935.

Respectfully,

Joel Sher
Vice President
Evangerís Dog & Cat Food Co., Inc.

rainbow
April 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM
This was just released this afternoon...

http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/story/PRNEWS.20080425.AQF512/GIStory

tswtdbc
July 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Hi, I'm interested in thoughts/opinions on the "He Said, She Said" Evangers story.

This is really concerning as I still have about 20 cans of Evangers sitting around and really believed it was one of the healthiest dog foods you could buy.

I don't know who or what to believe as I really don't have much faith in the FDA (MHO) and wonder if they're using Evangers as a scapegoat or what .... :confused:

Any thoughts? Is anyone continuing to feed their dogs Evangers or should I throw out the food???!

Shaykeija
July 1st, 2009, 07:36 PM
when in doubt.... throw it out...

Love4himies
July 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
That is my motto too. Don't risk it.

tswtdbc
July 16th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Hi, apologies for the delayed "thanks"! :)
I couldn't actually bring myself to ditch all the cans, but did stash them away in my basement!
Has anyone heard an update? I was at my local petstore yesterday and asked about it and the guy said they had got their license back and everything was cleared up. Hmmmm ... I dunno ... I haven't been able to find anything about that?