Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dandruff Question

Winston
April 24th, 2008, 06:57 PM
So Winston has been on the Orijen Fish for a long time. I have noticed lots of improvements since on the food. However he has bad dandruff..I have been brushing him more frequently and trying to make sure I get the undercoat off but he is literally all flaky when I do this? I guess I thought he would get enough of the oils in the fish food. The other thing he has put on an extra probably 10 pds...it has to be somewhat diet related and the winter we did do less exercise. I have been putting a couple of teaspoons of yogurt in his food about twice a week as well. I have to be careful what I add to his food because it is affected at the other end! :laughing: I have tried the safflower oil but it must be too rich for him.

I have been thinking that I should change the food to something with less protein too? Any thoughts?

Cindy

TKW
April 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
My SIL blamed her two dogs skin trouble on high protein diet. I could believe her b/c she's been feeding them human grade food sometimes better than we feed ourself.

My lab used to have dry skin. I took advice from one forum and bathed him with Selsun Blue and worked. And he's now on Head & Shoulder b/c that's what I use.

BTW, don't bath your dog too frequent! It'll do more harm than good.

luckypenny
April 24th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Penny used to be pretty dandruffy too. I can't speak for Orijen because our dogs are fed raw but all their coats are really healthy now. I do add safflower and organic extra virgin coconut oils to thier meals every second day or so.

How often do you bathe Winston, Cindy? I was just reading something in the April Issue of the Whole Dog Journal about the uses of Calendula. This is a rinse you can make.

"Combine equal parts calendula, chamomile, and lavender flowers (about a handful in all) and let them steep in (1 quart) just-boiled water for 15 minutes. Add this tea to a gallon of water. As you pour it over the dogs coat, work it in with your fingers or a comb. Blot with a towel...All three of these herbs are soothing to the skin, calming, relaxing, and cleansing..."

Perhaps it would help with dandruff :shrug: .

Do you need a list of other available grain-free foods?

Ford Girl
April 25th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Is it just me or is this time of year the worse for it? I mean one minute its spring and they start to shed a bit, then we get more snow, then warm days, then cold...I know Dazy's flakey right now, so we add unscented cod oil in the am feeding. It helps. :)

Winston
April 25th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Penny used to be pretty dandruffy too. I can't speak for Orijen because our dogs are fed raw but all their coats are really healthy now. I do add safflower and organic extra virgin coconut oils to thier meals every second day or so.

How often do you bathe Winston, Cindy? I was just reading something in the April Issue of the Whole Dog Journal about the uses of Calendula. This is a rinse you can make.

"Combine equal parts calendula, chamomile, and lavender flowers (about a handful in all) and let them steep in (1 quart) just-boiled water for 15 minutes. Add this tea to a gallon of water. As you pour it over the dogs coat, work it in with your fingers or a comb. Blot with a towel...All three of these herbs are soothing to the skin, calming, relaxing, and cleansing..."

Perhaps it would help with dandruff :shrug: .

Do you need a list of other available grain-free foods?

LP Winston only really gets a bath if he needs to be, but I would say 2-3 times a year? I think it may be partly the food...I tried in the past giving the safflower oil and I also have the 100% pure coconut oil. With the any kind of liquid oil given it affects his poops, I have not noticed it with the coconut oil but I honestly forget to give him that all the time.

I guess I expected the fish oils in the food to be adequate but I think I am wrong on that one?

LP where do you buy Calendula? health food store?

Cindy

luckypenny
April 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I guess I expected the fish oils in the food to be adequate but I think I am wrong on that one?

LP where do you buy Calendula? health food store?

I can't answer your first question because I don't know enough about the ingredients in kibbles.

I buy organic at a local health food store but it ought to be available at a Herbalist-type store as well (chamomile and lavender too). Here's a link about it's many uses http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/Canada/HealthInformation/Encyclopedias/Calendula.htm

It makes a great mild tasting tea for us as well and is easy to grow in your own garden. This is what mine looks like.