Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Electric fence collars for cats

kathryn
April 24th, 2008, 05:58 PM
MY MOM IS MAKING ME ASK THIS.

My cat Maxwell keeps opening the back door (glass door and screen) and busting everyone out. It's ridiculous. The glass door has a handle that is not a knob but one of the ones you pull down.. so he either a. yanks on that and gets the door open or b. he somehow gets the door open when it does not close properly.

for the screen door and digs his nails into it and just slides it open.

My mom will not shut up about putting a zap collar on him so that if he steps outside he gets zapped.. like for dogs. I told her he's NOT a dog and she needs to knock it off with wanting to go buy one at petsmart and end up electrocuting my cat!

So, can you guys help me out with figuring out how to keep the cat inside and making my mom stop with her nonsense of wanting to zap my cat?

We do keep the door locked most of the time but when we go outback to yaknow, do yard work or whatever we of course can't lock the doors from the outside, so he busts out and tries following us.

Help please. I have 6 cats inside and it's so annoying to have to chase them all down. Also, Maxwell is the only one opening the door.

He's a 8lb Russian Blue and I've tried EVERYTHING to train him. I scare him back in and I squirt him with a water bottle and give him a smack on the butt... it's not like I want to beat him or scream at him.

14+kitties
April 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Simple........change the doorknob to one he can't open.

aslan
April 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM
lol, 14+ i was gonna say the exact same thing, and the knob is cheaper than the zap collar.

14+kitties
April 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Not to mention a whole heck of a lot kinder!

duttypaws
April 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
what about changing the knob to a twist one rather than a push down one? may stop him opening it.

kathryn
April 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah they won't listen though it's lame. They are the ones who had the original door knob changed (he had a harder time opening the last one). So basically my parents are being dumb dumbs and wanna zap my kitty.

Hm, anyone here know how to like, child proof the stuff so he can't get out ??

Someone help me out to tell my mom to knock it off XD It's seriously 2-3 times a day she wants to zap my cat for opening the back door. She's ... not always reasonable and doesn't always think and just to clarify, if she goes out and buys a zap collar for dogs, it will more then likely kill my cat or something bad right? Because I am just imagining her to run out and buy one for a golden retriever or something and then my cat gets fried!!

Argh parents!! :frustrated:

ancientgirl
April 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Locking the door seems like the only solution if they won't change the knob. Lock the door, the cat can turn the latch/lever or whatever all he wants and nobody gets out.

onster
April 24th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Im sure with 6 kitties ure mom really does care for the cats, especially since she tries to keep them indoors....she's probably just aggrevated. Having said that I agree with changing the door knob. Or maybe looking into those childproof lock things?

As for the zap teaching the kitty something, my cat chews wires and zapped himself yet continues to chew and zapped himself again- in one sitting. Perhaps my guy isn't the brightest but still its not a sure thing that it would work (and its cruel, but u know that :))