Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Stages

jealma
April 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I would have thought Abby would have started loosing teeth by now? She's 4 1/2 months. Also after reading much I realized her slight knawing on us was how she was to learn what is too hard and what is not,, but at what point do I put my foot down ,, no more. I don't want her doing this all the time. She's small but I don't want her jumping up on people either,,, we love her and don't mind,, but not everyone is going to appreciate her zellous greetings. When I take her over to my mom's she gets so excited that when my mom tries to pick her up and lover her a bit, she can't even get a hold of her to show her affection. Abby wiggles and squarms and trys so hard to lick ( which sometimes turns into slight nips) Mom is not use to dogs and trys so hard to show Abby affection,, but even when I make abby sit,, and mom tries to pet her,, abby can't control her excitement and breaks into joy when mom lowers her hand.;
When my grandchildren come in the door,, I pick Abby up so she doesn't get out the door, don't know why I do this,, cause she squarms and wiggles so hard ,,( I"ve actually almost dropped her myself) trying to get down to attack the children with jumping affection...... She's so sweet,, she's so loving,, but how do I get her to slow down on the I love ya stuff, :-) Wow, I need a lot of help

jessi76
April 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM
biting.... she's exploring, learning bite inhibition, and testing boundaries. but it should be stopped each time she does it. teach her NOT to bite or nip people. (not even playfully) a stern NO BITE, and redirection to a toy should be enough.

greetings... don't pick her up. prevent her from running out the door another way. i.e. use a leash; crouch down and hold her collar gently; block the door; crate her, etc.. but picking her up when people come in doesn't teach her to not get excited. it teaches her that she'll get picked up and all the attention when guests arrive, and actually enforces the behavior. personally, i'd ignore her completely for a few minutes, let her settle, then say hello (with her ON the floor)

snuggling... as much as we want to snuggle and nuzzle them, it's best to try that when they are good and tired and are READY to be snuggled. Your mom should just wait for the pup to settle, and let the pup initiate the close contact. "affection" doesn't always have to be in the form of picking up and cuddling. simple praise is also affection for a dog.

Harley's_Mom
April 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I've found with Harley and Tova that it's best to have people get down to the dog's level when petting them. My two are much more apt to start dancing around and jumping when people are dangling their hands above them.

jealma
April 24th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Thank you,, I"ll try a few of these and see how we make out.

hazelrunpack
April 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
As for the teething age, we had one dog start as late as 6 months, and we had a few that lost teeth so gradually between 4 and 6 months that we hardly even noticed that they were teething. It definitely varies by individual. :dog:

tenderfoot
April 27th, 2008, 04:17 PM
True teething is what human babies do when they are breaking through gums with a new tooth. Puppies already have a hole ready for the new tooth so they really aren't teething. Often you won't even see the baby tooth pop out - they either swallow it or it just gets sucked up in the vacuum. You might be surprised if you really look into their mouth how many teeth have already changed over. Usually they are done getting their new teeth by 6 months, but sometimes smaller breeds get 'double teeth'. The baby tooth never got pushed out so there are 2 teeth right next to each other - this needs to be fixed by the vet.

Wiggling too much in your arms - everytime you let her down again she learns that wiggling works. So you need to start when there aren't any big distractions and simply hold her in your lap or arms and gently keep her there. DO NOT let her down for any squirming behavior. You have to be patient until she settles for just a few seconds and then let her down. Try to stay relaxed during this process but do not give in. You are trying to teach her that calmness works - so each time she is calm she gets released. Then the next time you are going to keep her still for twice as long. Each time you are increasing her ability to stay calm and to be patient.

Sounds like she could use some better leash manners and greeting manners. Again you need to practice with less exciting distractions, and she needs to learn to sit patiently for attention. But everytime she gets attention for leaping about like a bucking bronco then she learns that what she does to get attention.

Start with her on the leash and have someone come through the door. You just lock down the leash to your side and don't move. Let her leap about to her hearts content - but she is not to get 1 inch closer to the person until she settles down. If she is off the charts with energy then you walk away from the person and take her with you - or have the person walk away. Then see if you can stand further away and she can settle down. This is very much like the 'post' drill we do to teach no pulling. As she calms down she is permitted to get closer to the person. She needs to learn that the rules are set by you and not by her crazy behavior.

Don't be shy to ask people to cooperate with your training process. Most peope are thrilled to help out.

jealma
April 27th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Sounds like a lot of great idea's tenderfoot. I will have to get her into a better greeting behaviour for sure. It is hard because she is a cute little thing, ( well I think so) and people tend to ignore the bad behaviour, thanks again.