Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thunderstorm

luckypenny
April 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
This being the first thunderstorm we've had (ocurring right now) since Ava has come to live with us, I've noticed she's a little frightened. She just climbed under the desk and has her face pressed hard against my legs. She's not whimpering or anything but she is drooling quite a bit. I'm not reacting to this behavior for now but is there something I should be doing to help make it a bit easier for her?

rainbow
April 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Geeze, you certainly don't need this. :grouphug: You are right to act like there is nothing happening. Is this the first thunderstorm since she has been with you? What are Lucky and Penny doing?

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
LP , the storm isn't here yet , just a bit of rain , but Bailey has been freaking out for the past 2 hours ! Panting a lot and following me everywhere. I tried everything with him and Daisy , ignoring the storm , putting music , dance , sing , nothing worked. I read somewhere if you put a blanket on them , they don't feel it as much (the electricity from the storm) but it didn't work for mine. I got some kind of remedy rescue from the vet , a natural one , but have to give it to them an hour before , and it's kind of hard to predict when the storm will hit so that never worked either :frustrated:

The only thing I haven't try yet is to run naked in the house :rolleyes:

luckypenny
April 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Penny's making the rounds of the house and Lucky, at first, ran to the front window and then just came in to the room I'm in and flopped down onto the floor. Surprisingly, no real reaction from him.

luckypenny
April 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM

Don't :yell: !! You'll turn fear of thunder into real pshychological damage :D .

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
LP , the storm isn't here yet ,

Holy crap it's here ! And now Bailey is beside me pushing my hand. :sad:

luckypenny
April 23rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Is this the first thunderstorm since she has been with you?

Sorry, yes, it is.

The thunder has stopped for now and she just left the room to see Penny frantically ringing the bells to go out :rolleyes: .

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Don't :yell: !! You'll turn fear of thunder into real pshychological damage :D .

:laughing:

poor dogs = http://bestsmileys.com/sick/9.gif

aslan
April 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM

hmmm someone needs a smack for that frenchy. Quincy is a big wuss for thunderstorms too. why is it its the big guys that are weenies.

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Sorry, yes, it is.

The thunder has stopped for now and she just left the room to see Penny frantically ringing the bells to go out :rolleyes: .

Penny wants to go out during the storm ? :crazy:

dmc123
April 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
None of my dogs like storms, but are ok unless really loud thunder....except for Simon...he is very, very afraid. He can hear the storms approaching and runs to us to comfort.

Not sure there is anything to do, but let him cower a little. We just tell him we are here, it is ok, etc....

Diane

rainbow
April 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
They pick up on your vibes so what if you guys just went and laid down until it's over? :o

luckypenny
April 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Now that I think of it, Lucky was awfully clingy during the afternoon but nothing too unusual.

Well, I completely ignored Ava other than to say, "Hey Ava" in a happy tone when she put her head on me.

Lucky and Penny just went out to play. She walked back to the door, back to me, and now back to the door again. I think she can't make up her mind if she wants to join the other nuts outside.

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
They pick up on your vibes so what if you guys just went and laid down until it's over? :o

Tried that , watched tv on the couch , very relaxed .... :shrug:

aslan , Sam and Nelly don't mind , only Bailey :shrug:

luckypenny
April 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Well that seems to be working for Ava, Rainbow.

Another great big bang and Lucky nearly flew through the patio door to get back in. Good thing dh was standing there and saw him coming :D .

If it keeps up, I'll just go downstairs and sit in front of the tv with them :shrug: .

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
LP , you could try the blankie with Ava ?

luckypenny
April 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
LP , you could try the blankie with Ava ?

She's ok now. She's not panicking or anything. She's finally settled on the floor next to me but not too close (I guess that's good) and Lucky is on the bed behind me. Penny's doing dog-knows-what but I can hear her medals clinging as she's finding some goofiness to keep herself occupied.

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
She's ok now. She's not panicking or anything.

That's good ! It's over here but Bailey is still beside me , laying on the floor panting and drooling all over. At about 6:30 , I was wondering why the fur on his chest was all wet ... drool !

Bailey was a "stray dog" (dump in the country in Ste-Emilie de l'Energie) and the week before he found a house , it was pretty stormy :sad: when he found a house , he stayed on their patio for 2 days (the lady never got him inside , instead she waited for him to go away , when he didn't , she called the animal control) so I'm pretty sure that's why he's traumatized about storms.

otter
April 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM

:laughing: Just as I was reading your post I was thinking that was EXACTLY what you needed to try :thumbs up

Molly doesn't like storms either. Her favourite thing is to hide in the bathtub (though I don't have a bathtub, that's what she did at a friends house, slept in the bathtub all night - I think I told this story before, sorry)

Lise
April 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Tess gets really scared with thunderstorms.If I know we're getting one I give her rescue remedy,it helps a bit.She hides under or behind the couch.She goes into panic state hours before the storm.She's even started drooling and hiding when it was sunny and we got a storm that night.It seems to be getting worse as she gets older.

Melinda
April 24th, 2008, 10:59 AM
each pup we've gotten gets all excited when a storm hits and runs for the tennis balls, I started as soon as they came here to live here, each storm we'd grab toys and make it play time, real excitable play. We were outside working in the yard last night when the thunder started and brina ran all around the yard gathering up toys and bringing them to me *L*. You could try that maybe? Make thunder exciting to them.

coppperbelle
April 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Chloe tries to climb on my lap and then trembles uncontrollably. If the storm happens to hit during the night, she will get into bed with me and lay on top of me trembling. I had to ask the vet for tranquilizers. I don't give them to her when we are having a quick storm but if it is one of those days when they roll through for hours I will give her a tranquilizer otherwise I am afraid she will have a heart attack.

Ford Girl
April 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Dazy's like Penny, lets go out and play in the rain! :crazy:

Does the rescue remedy stuff really work? My vet sells 4 formulas of it..all for differnet anxieties but I often wondered if they work or if there is a differece between formulas. :shrug: