Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

uh-oh....

duttypaws
April 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
lola is constipated... what can I give her?

growler~GateKeeper
April 25th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Heinz Organics pureed Butternut Squash babyfood will rebalance the water levels in her bowels, makes it easier to go when the poop isn't too dry - about 1/4 tsp most cats will lick it off your finger or the spoon. You can then continue to mix it in her canned food. You can portion freeze the rest of the butternut squash in ice cube trays, then dump in a freezer bag for easy use - that way it will not go bad in the fridge before you use up the jar.

non gmo Ground Flaxseed will lubricate the poop to make it easier to pass - put about 1 heaping tsp in a bowl mix in 1-1.5 or 2 tsp of hot water enough to make it slimey but not watery or runny. Take the teaspoon and scoop a few milimetres onto the spoon and mix it in the canned food. Cover & put the rest in the fridge for later.

My Duffy gets both of these in her breakfast & dinner everyday and hasn't had dry poop/constipation issues since.

:goodvibes: for Lola

duttypaws
April 25th, 2008, 05:54 AM
shes actually ok the other night she was running in and out litter trays but she must have gone over night and yesterday day... so we're back to normal!

Jim Hall
April 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
i have geven my cats either squash or canned pumpkin a few times a week

growler~GateKeeper
April 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Duttypaws - I'm glad she's alright now :thumbs up.....just something to keep in mind in case she seems to have trouble again ;) prevention is far better than treatment after the fact. :)

duttypaws
April 26th, 2008, 08:10 AM
well I think it was a combination of things...

mainly poppy arriving upset her and also the vet telling me to cut their food so i only gave her dry and stopped the wet.. (i think this was the mistake) they are both only on wet food now... although poppy picks dry over wet :confused: so now i have a bag of nutram indoor cat and cat lovers soul food that i'll have to throw out! :| But this will prove a issue AS... when we fly to the uk they are only allowed dried food :| .... urgh....

sugarcatmom
April 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM
they are both only on wet food now...

Awesome!

although poppy picks dry over wet :confused:

As long as she's still eating the wet and not losing weight too fast, it's all good. My cat would still love to get his fuzzy little paws on some dry food, despite being on only wet for a couple of years. The addictive nature of that stuff is scary.

so now i have a bag of nutram indoor cat and cat lovers soul food that i'll have to throw out! :|

You could always donate it to a shelter.

But this will prove a issue AS... when we fly to the uk they are only allowed dried food :| .... urgh....

How long is the flight? They'll probably be better off without food during the trip (nothing in = nothing out ;)) and may even be too scared to eat it if it was there.

duttypaws
April 26th, 2008, 11:50 AM
they have to have food in their bowl else they are refused to fly for 7 hours... i will leave it there.... nothing like some junk cat food (aeroplane cat food!)... for a few hours...

growler~GateKeeper
April 27th, 2008, 01:13 AM
now i have a bag of nutram indoor cat and cat lovers soul food that i'll have to throw out! :| But this will prove a issue AS... when we fly to the uk they are only allowed dried food :| .... urgh....

they have to have food in their bowl else they are refused to fly for 7 hours... i will leave it there.... nothing like some junk cat food (aeroplane cat food!)... for a few hours...

You're flying around Nov/Dec right? I'd take what you have now to a local shelter, then just before you fly pick up a trial/sample size bag of dried food for the flight - that way you don't have that much of it and you can quickly transition them back off it after the flight :)

duttypaws
April 27th, 2008, 07:29 AM
You're flying around Nov/Dec right? I'd take what you have now to a local shelter, then just before you fly pick up a trial/sample size bag of dried food for the flight - that way you don't have that much of it and you can quickly transition them back off it after the flight :)

yeah thats what im planning to do.... poppy is eating her way through the dried food.... she should have finished most by november! lol