Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

moving questions.

snowflake1
April 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
my husband and I may be moving this summer across the country from manitoba to BC. I think i will be going out there by myself, husband will already be there. I will be traveling with 3 cats and a dog. The question I have is that the 2 boys I have have been in a carrier together when I moved before, but that was for like a 20 min ride. I am wondering if this would be a good idea to out the 2 boys in a large carrier together when moving across country. I am thinking no, but what are your opinions. the 2 boys have very different personalities. One is laid back and the other is kind odf spazzy. any thoughts would be great. Are the seditives that vets can give you good to use or not a good idea?

ancientgirl
April 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
Mine all get along great, and I've put two of them in a carrier in a pinch, but like you, for a short period of time. That said, I think it would be better to have everyone in their own little carrier, if that's possible. I know, at least for cats, you can probably buy the Feliway spray and put some in their carriers I think half an hour before putting them in there. That's supposed to keep their stress levels down. You can also get some Rescue Remedy, and smear a bit in their ears, or put a few drops in their food if you feed them before getting under way. That also helps keep their stress levels down.

snowflake1
April 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
thanks I will keep that in mind if and when the move comes. oh yeah can you get that stuff in canada?

ancientgirl
April 23rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get Feliway over there. Maybe some of the other posters can give you an idea. Rescue Remedy you should be able to find at any health food type store or vitamin shop. It's something that humans can use too, so you shouldn't have trouble finding it.

Love4himies
April 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
It really depends on the cats and whether they will tolerate being so close for so long.

I have tried sedation before on one of my cats traveling across Canada and discontinued using them after the first day. I think he was happier not drugged.

That is going to be a lot of animals for you to handle by yourself. Are you going to be having any help?

sugarcatmom
April 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I am wondering if this would be a good idea to out the 2 boys in a large carrier together when moving across country.

I would put them in their own carriers, if possible. Even cats that get along great can turn on each other under stressful conditions. Maybe you can have it so that the carriers face each other so they can still get comfort that way.

Are the seditives that vets can give you good to use or not a good idea?

Not a good idea, especially for that length of time. Rescue Remedy would be a safer option. How do your cats do in car rides generally? Are they extremely stressed (panting, urinating or defecating), or just whiny?

rainbow
April 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I agree and would put them all in separate carriers. Also, the sedatives are definitely a bad idea. Rescue Remedy or Feliway (much more expensive) would be a better option.

duttypaws
April 24th, 2008, 03:57 PM
are you driving or flying?
I was told that air canada wont accept the cats in 1 carrier they have to be in one each.

im spraying feliway inside and showing them the carrier for a few months before... Im also attaching water bottles to the carriers rather than water ina bowl.

snowflake1
April 26th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I am driving. right now I am going by myself, but I am trying to convince my sister to come with me to keep me sane. :) I think I will put them all in their own carriers

duttypaws
April 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
u can get carriers with special slots for seatbelts....