Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worried and rushing to the vet

dodecaphonie
April 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM
Hello all,

I just need to get it out a little bit. Thank you for your understanding. My cat has been very sick and I am very worried. She has more and more frequent gastrointestinal problems. We think she has IBD. She had blood in her stool before, but this time it is worst:sad:

I called the vet yesterday, she had been vomiting saliva every 10 to 12 hours since 24 hours so he told me to wait...In the night, she had a stool with blood and vomited saliva again. This morning she vomited more blood, it was like pink saliva and she had digested blood in her stool. I am so worried...The last time she was sick was just a month a ago. She is sick like that once a month since january. I am just waiting for the vet clinic to open and I am rushing there. I know this can be a symptom of a severe condition and I pray that they will be able to control the situation now and for the long term.:pray:

sugarcatmom
April 23rd, 2008, 06:42 AM
Oh no! I'm so sorry you're going through this, and I hope your kitty makes a quick recovery. Let us know how she does. :grouphug:

chico2
April 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
:goodvibes:for your girl today,hope what's ailing her can be cured:pray:

dodecaphonie
April 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
so...I am back from the vet and thought I would give a little update...

basically, since it's chronic and she never been tested, he suggested an endoscopy. She will be going for that tomorrow morning. He gave her subcutanous fluids and something for the nausea. He said she can wait until tomorrow morning so it is going to be another day without food. She had a little bit of bloody diarrhea on her return and she is resting now. It is a new vet and he seems very opened and listens carefully. I told him that cortisone worries me and he agrees that it is not his favorite treatment. It's part of the reason he wants to know exactly what the problem is so we can treat the cause and not just the symptoms. He is also opened to a regular treatment combined with alimentation and homeopathy. He thinks the bleeding is caused by ulceration.

I am crossing my fingers that she won't get worse over the day. He seemed to think she could tough it out. She had no temperature.

I try to keep a positive energy so she won't be affected by my stress :cat: :pray:

14+kitties
April 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
:fingerscr and :goodvibes: for a positive answer. It's tough when our furbabies are sick. :grouphug:

ancientgirl
April 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Oh good luck! I'm sending some good vibes your way for your girl. :goodvibes:

I'm very happy you have a vet that cares about your baby.

chico2
April 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Oh poor kitty,poor you.most of us know what a heartbreaking situation you are in:sad:
I am glad your vet is more open to alternative treatments,not just euthanazia.
What's your kitties name,is she a Sphynx???

glasslass
April 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Group hug for both of you!:grouphug::grouphug: Thanks for updating and please continue. This is a great place for emotional support!

dodecaphonie
April 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Thank you all for your good words. It is indeed very difficult for me at the moment. I am so scared for her...

By the way, she is a 2 yo cornish rex and her name is Lychee. She does not have much fur, but it might be linked to malabsorption. She used to have more.

I had to bring her back at the vet and she is going to stay over night. Her endoscopy is in the morning. She had diarrhea again and it was only blood. She vomited blood as well. It is so heartbreaking. I prepared her cage and brought a box with some of my clothes so she can hide in it. I can visit her whenever I can. The vet gave her a preventive antibiotic for tomorrow, something to calm nausea and a medication for ulcers to stop the bleeding.
I am very worried and I hope the endoscopy won't be to irritanting for her system. :fingerscr

MOOSEDRY
April 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
hi there.

so sorry to hear about lychee's troubles. it's hard to leave them at the vet's, but morning will be here before you know it, and you'll hopefully have some answers then. i'll cross my fingers for you both.

tracy :candle:

hazelrunpack
April 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. :grouphug: Sounds like she's in good hands. :goodvibes: and :fingerscr that you get some definite answers tomorrow and the vet can suggest a treatment that works!

luckypenny
April 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
She's in a good place dodecaphonie. :fingerscr she'll be on the road to recovery asap.

ancientgirl
April 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
I hope your little girl will be okay. Hopefully what they do tomorrow will help the vet figure out how to treat her so she doesn't have to go through this anymore. :pray::grouphug:

BusterBoo
April 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
:sorry: to hear of your little girl's troubles....try and have a good sleep tonight, she will need you strong and ready to cater to her when she comes home...

:pray:

chico2
April 24th, 2008, 06:24 AM
:pray:for Lychee today and for you in these difficult times:pray:
Lychee is a beautiful name for a beautiful kitty:lovestruck:

Jim Hall
April 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM
a special buddah rub for Lychee hoping all goes well

krdahmer
April 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM
:pray: :goodvibes: :grouphug:

rainbow
April 24th, 2008, 03:20 PM
dodecaphonie, I just read your thread now and I am so sorrry to hear what you and Lychee are going through. :grouphug: I hope you have some good news today. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

dodecaphonie
April 24th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hello all !

First of all I want to thank all of you for being so supportive. It really helps to read all your words of encouragement :)

I have some news...

So she had the endoscopy today and the vet did biopsies of the intestine. He said there were bad ulcerations and a lot of blood, especially in the colon. I will have the results of the biopsy in 4-5 days. He told me that she was more alert today and that she remains calm and sociable so that is somewhat of a good sign :D He continues to give her medication to prevent vomiting and something to help the lining of the GI tract less irritated. She will also receive antibiotics in prevention since she is still weak and at risk of contracting something else. He will be giving her steroids ( but I don't remember the name). They are given once a day and don't have a long term action. I told him that I was a little wary of this kind of medication, but it's only for now because she needs treatment and we know that it has worked in the past. When we get the diagnostic, we will discuss an appropriate long term treatment.

Tonight they are going to try to feed her because she has not eaten since sunday night. They will force feed her if need be. I like this clinic, they are very nice and comprehensive. They accepted that I bring the food that she is used to ( Innova Evo canned venison and Nature's variety instinct canned venison ) and the vet did not insist on putting her on a "prescription diet" . Also, the clinic is closed on sunday, but he said they can arrange something so I could go and visit her. I feel like they treat the animal and they understand that it is also difficult for the owner.

I hope the treatment will help her until I get the final results and that she will be able to eat and keep it down :pray:

I will keep you posted ! Kisses from Lychee for your good vibes :cat:

ancientgirl
April 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I'm crossing my fingers she doesn't have anything serious. It sounds like you have found a really great vet. I think it's so important for us to feel comfortable with who is treating our babies.

Please keep us posted.:goodvibes:

dodecaphonie
April 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I am back from visiting her. She was still very sleepy, but at some point she came to me and rubbed her face against mine. She is such a sweetie :)

She did not eat :sad: I talked to vet that was there...of course it's been too long since she ate... I am worried about that. But he said they will wait until tomorrow morning to force feed her because of the anesthesia she had today.

I kissed her good night and here I am. I will let you know what happens. I feel like 5 days is so long to know the result of the biopsies.

sugarcatmom
April 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Awww, the waiting is so hard! All fingers and paws here are crossed that the biopsy results show something manageable. As for the not eating, when you next visit Lychee, can you bring her something really tasty like plain chicken baby food? Maybe she'll eat it off your finger? That's the only thing that works for my kitty when he's staying at the "vet spa".

Best wishes to you and Lychee.

hazelrunpack
April 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
:fingerscr for continued improvement, dodecaphonie.

We had a dog with severe IBD and he was put on prednisone (prednisolone is the active form) to get it under control. We didn't want to use steroids, either, but sometimes you just have to risk it because it's the best thing to get the inflammation under control.

Waiting for biopsy results is the hardest thing. :grouphug: I hope you get good news!

chico2
April 25th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Awww,it must be so difficult both for you and Lychee,there is tons of good vibes and wishes coming from here,she just has to get better:goodvibes:
At this point with her not eating,not even the good food you are bringing,I would definetly try the baby-food,anything is worth a try to get her some nourishment:fingerscr:grouphug:to you and little Lychee

Love4himies
April 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM
It sounds like she has ulcerative colitis, poor thing, the biopsy will confirm. Because this is an autoimmune disease, one of the only ways to get it under control is steriods, prednisone is the one they use on humans. Many humans also get nauseous and loose their appetites during a flare.

I know of somebody who had luck putting their kitty on a raw diet, didn't stop all the flares, but did help minimize them and they weren't as frequent.

:grouphug:

dodecaphonie
April 25th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Today's update :

I visited Lychee this afternoon and she is doing much better :D

She ate by herself during last night so they did not have to force feed her this morning. They wanted to make sure she ate so she offered her 4 choices of food. The two that she usually eats and Hill's hypoallergenic and Z/D. I am not in favor of these last two, but she really needed to eat so I just thought it was better than nothing for now. She ate the Z/D...She ate that in the past she had rather soft stools. I told them but they said that for the moment, as long as she gets her appetite back. She did not eat during the day, but when I visited her, I fed her from my hand and she ate half of the portion...of the Z/D...oh well !

Alsom she did not vomit since yesterday morning and did not have bloody diarrhea :thumbs up

She was very enthusiastic when she saw me and she welcomed me meowing of joy ! I can see that she is tired though because 15 minutes after the excitement, she just went back sleeping. They wait to see if she poops normally...but the vet will reevaluate her tomorrow and she might be coming back home :party:

I really like this place. They think of the psychologic state of the animal in relation the the process of healing. The vet said that if she is well enough, he prefers her to be at home and that her healing will be faster this way.

Until the next update...thank you all and good night ! :sleepy:

ancientgirl
April 25th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Glad to hear she's got her appetite back! Even if you don't like the food for her, at least she's eating something, which right now, is important for her to regain her strength.

I hope she's well enough to go home with you. :fingerscr

Keep up the updates!:D

hazelrunpack
April 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I'm so glad she's doing better. :highfive: You must be so relieved! :fingerscr that she's released tomorrow!

Incidentally, although the Z/D looks like crap when you read the ingredients, it was the only thing that worked for our IBD dog, Evan. :shrug: Sometimes you just have to go with what works.

rainbow
April 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I am so glad to hear that Lychee is doing better......you must feel like a big weight has been removed from your shoulders. :grouphug:

Yes, the Z/D does look like crappy ingredients but, in cases like this, it's the best thing to feed until their appetite comes back. I hope that Lychee will be able to come home tomorrow :fingerscr where she will be much happier recovering. :goodvibes:

chico2
April 26th, 2008, 06:54 AM
That is great news and I agree with the others,whatever she will eat at this point is ok,as long as she gets her strenght back and gets well.
When it's safe for her to come home,it's certain she will recover faster..:cat:
Half the battle is having a wonderful vet and I am glad you do..
Please continue to keep us updated and :grouphug:to you and little Lychee

MOOSEDRY
April 26th, 2008, 07:02 AM
great to hear lychee is eating and feeling better. also, sounds like you have a wonderful vet there! keep us updated on little lychee's progress.

tracy :thumbs up

dodecaphonie
April 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM
LYCHEE IS BACK HOME !!!!!! :laughing:

She had a "normal" stool at the clinic this morning. A little soft, but still no blood ! But that may be the food. She ate the Z/D in the past and she always had soft stool with it. I was not there today, my husband took her home. I am still keeping her on this food until I can discuss a precise treatment and food approach with the vet. He was not working today. She ate everything with appetite tonight ! :thumbs up

You have been all so supportive and I thank you.

I will keep updating when I receive the results of the biopsy.They also gave me prednisone, but they said I wait the results before starting anything. She is completely off medication until then. Does someone know about this medication ? Does it have serious long term side effects ? I also will discuss with him the possibility to try a raw diet when she is stable.

so many quesitons !!! I hope the results will show something treatable.
I will let you know...

Kisses
( sorry for the bad quality, I don't own a digital camera so I am afflicted to photograph my cat with my cell phone ! :) )

luckypenny
April 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Woohoo, glad Lychee is back home with her family and feeling better. She's beautiful! I love her ears :cloud9: and her gorgeous eyes :lovestruck: .

ancientgirl
April 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Oh she's beautiful!!!!! I adore her face:cloud9:

I hope she continues to improve!

hazelrunpack
April 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM
She's very pretty! And so nice to hear she's home! :highfive:

Prednisone does have some rather major side effects if used long term, but can be very effective in the short term. Likely the vet will get her stable on it if the biopsy results dictate its use, then slowly wean her off it. It's a long process, but you should never just discontinue steroids--at least not in dogs or people...I've never had any direct experience with steroids in cats.

Short term side effects in dogs include voracious appetite, stomach upset, and increased drinking and urination (and I'm talking every few hours...we had some sleepless nights when Evan was on the initial high dose :o).

Long term use can result in diabetes or disruption of normal steroid production and metabolism, among other things. (Again, this is true in dogs and humans...so I'm assuming it's true for cats).

Talk to the vet before starting the pills and ask lots of questions about what to watch for. Steroids are scary meds, but used short-term they are life-savers. We saw immediate improvement in Evan and, once the inflammation was knocked back, we were able to wean him off the pred and control his IBD with diet alone.

I hope whatever Lychee has will respond quickly! :fingerscr

chico2
April 27th, 2008, 07:43 AM
:thumbs upLychee is beautiful and very happy to be back home I'm sure:cat:
Hopefully the testresults will be show no problems:pray:
The pics look great to me,those eyes,are they really that green,beautiful:lovestruck:

dodecaphonie
April 27th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Thank you Chico2 !

She is also very sweet and affectionate :lovestruck:

Yes, the colour is right in pictures. It's a kind of pale yellowish green. Sometimes it looks more yellow, it depends on the lighting !

skooterlee
April 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Beautiful Kitty!!! How is she doing now? Did you find a food that she can tolerate? I sure hope she is back to normal and doing fine.

Love4himies
April 28th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Oh your cat is gorgeous!

Yes Pred does have long term affects and should only be used until the IBD under control, then must be tapered. Never stop this drug abruptly.

Along with what Hazel has mentioned, it can also cause osteoperosis, cataracts, glaucoma, mood swings and I do believe it is very hard on the kidneys and liver.

Good luck!

Love4himies
April 28th, 2008, 08:07 AM
If it is a true IBD, then food doesn't cause it, but can make some symptoms worse depending on your cat's digestive system. Probably the best diet for your cat is a raw diet with ground bones (bone pieces going through the colon can irritate the ulcers in the colon lining) as this is what your cat's digestive system is made to digest.

Definitely grain free food and no kibble. Your kitty needs all the water she can get.

dodecaphonie
April 28th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I can't wait to get the results. I am in favor of a more "natural" approach, but for the moment I think the focus will be to stabilize her so if she needs prednisone, or anything else to be healed, I will trust my vet on that...I know we are not talking about prevention in her case as the ulcers are already there. Still I want to do anything I can to help her and if I need to cook her food I will :thumbs up

I have been reading on IBD in cats ( even though I am not sure that is what she has) and found this site where they discuss raw diet in relation with different health problem and particularly IBD. It is very informative. ( catnutrition.org ) I hope I am allowed to post this link. If not I will remove it.

She has been doing very well since she is home. She has a voracious appetite, but that may be caused by malabsorption since she has ulcers in the intestine. She has a good energy. She still poops "pudding" like stools, but at least there is no blood. :cat:

sugarcatmom
April 28th, 2008, 09:11 AM
found this site where they discuss raw diet in relation with different health problem and particularly IBD. It is very informative. ( catnutrition.org ) I hope I am allowed to post this link. If not I will remove it.

You absolutely are allowed to post a link to http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php, I've certainly done it lots! You might also want to check out this Yahoo Feline IBD group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FelineIBD/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=1
And this link: http://www.felineoutreach.org/EducationDetail.asp?cat=IBD

Love4himies
April 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM
No blood means the ulcers are healing, good news. How about mucous? That will indicate that there is still some irritation in the colon. If she starts getting better on her own, then I would not start her on Pred.

loopoo
April 28th, 2008, 02:34 PM
best of luck with your test result outcome.. i hope all is good there.. your kitty is just gorgeous :)

rainbow
April 28th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Lychee is beautiful. :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck:

I hope she continues to improve and good luck with the biopsy results. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

dodecaphonie
April 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
quick update :

Lychee is still doing ok. She still has loose stool. The only change is that her energy level seems to have decreased. Also she is always hungry, like every 2-3 hours she begs for food. Also, she seems to be a little swolen in the belly area. I don't know if it is the food or what ? Of course she is still sick, but I was wondering if maybe that was not helping.

Anyway, still waiting on the results.
:pawprint:

ancientgirl
April 29th, 2008, 06:03 PM
How many more days until you get the results?

dodecaphonie
April 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
probably I will get the result by thursday. She had the endoscopy on last thursday and it is supposed to be 4-5 days before you get the results. I called today and told them about this, but I was not able to talk to the vet and the tech did not really want to hear what I had to say about the food. So I will keep her like this until I can discuss in detail with my vet.

ancientgirl
April 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Maybe you can get a hold of the vet tomorrow. At least the week is nearly to the mid point so Thursday is just a couple of days away. :fingerscr

Dogastrophe
April 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Missed this thread totally. Sorry to hear what you've gone through with your kitty and glad to hear that she's home and doing well. Hope all works out well. :goodvibes:

chico2
April 30th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Sorry to hear,there are still problems:sad:
Often when we worry and don't know,we see things we might not otherwise notice,but Lychee is sick ,so I guess you have a valid reason to worry...
When my Rocky seemed to be starving of hunger all the time,he was diagnosed with HyperT.
:pray:the testresult shows something that can be easily treated:pray:

dodecaphonie
April 30th, 2008, 07:48 PM
so today I got the results of the biobsy : severe IBD in the small intestine. It says "severe eosinophilic inflammatory bowel disease"

The cause might be a food allergy, but there is no way to be sure.

She tried all of these food in the past : Hill's I/D ( at the shelter ), Orijen, Nature's variety prairie lamb dry, Natural balance duck and peas canned, Innova Evo venison canned and Nature's variety.

The vet suggested that I try a raw diet. I was more than willing to do that and frankly I was happy he was the wone suggesting it. I contacted a clinic where they specialize in nutrition and I have an appointment on friday. They will help me build a balanced raw diet specific to her. They can also help with different herbs and supplements. I really hope this time is going to be good !

I will start the prednisone treatment tomorrow ( 2,5mg per day) and we will see how it goes. He will eventually lower the dose to see if she can be maintened on as a low a dose as possible. He does take side effects of this drug very seriously and want to give the smallest amount possible if any. He also suggested that I continue with a homeopathic treatment. Basically, he is in favor of any treatment parallel to the medication that can reinforce her system and help her heal.

I will give updates as we progress with the treatment...I really hope she is not allergic to the raw diet. Is it possible for animals to have a reaction let's say to canned chicken and not to raw ?

thank you all for your presence here :D

BMDLuver
April 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
With the raw, you can have a variety of meats. For cats with difficulties, things like rabbit are used instead. The nutritionist will help you to work on a balanced diet for her. Sometimes it's in how the food is processed not in the type of food, so yes, perhaps she could eat raw chicken but not processed chicken.

She's very beautiful and you are doing all the right things for her. She's lucky to have you!

ancientgirl
April 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM
While I'm sure it's not going to be easy for your girl, I think considering all the things she could have this looks like the best scenario. This is something you can actually help to control and with the right diet she should be able to live a long and very good quality of life.

Kudos to you and especially your vet! I'm happy he's open to different treatment options. Thank you for keeping us updated. And good luck!

growler~GateKeeper
April 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
When starting a raw diet it is important to give probiotics usually about two weeks prior to starting, in order to help replenish the good flora in the gut. Now I don't know much about IBD and how well the flora works in an animal w/IBD so you should definately ask the nutritionist about it first. :D

:goodvibes: on the raw diet, yes a variety of meats is important incl @ least 1 red meat (beef, elk, bison) since it is higher in iron & taurine, though they do get that from organ meat as well.

dodecaphonie
April 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hello again !

I forgot to ask one question ! The nutritionist asked me if she was tested for giardia. I don't think so, but she had biopsies in the stomach, small intestine and colon. I know usually the do a fecal analysis for giardia, but in this case do you know if it would be a good idea ? Would they be able to see it with the biopsy ? I would think that if they can detect it in the feces, the lining of the GI tract would be even more precise, but I don't know ?

thanks again !:thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
April 30th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I don't think it can be seen w/biopsy. All the info states fecal sample tests, sometimes it can be difficult to detect so if it doesn't show w/the first test, usually 3 tests are done in a 7-10 day time period.

hazelrunpack
April 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I think giardia is detected by a fecal float test--may not be apparent from the gut lining at all.

Our Evan also had severe eosinophilic IBD. Once the pred knocked the inflammation down, we were able to control it pretty well by diet alone. Back then (this was in the very early 90s), raw was just getting started, but I wish we'd tried it (he was eating an unappetizing mixture of Purina HA and Hills Z/D). Since then, I've met a fair number of people whose dogs and cats have had IBD that responded well with a raw diet! :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for you and Lychee! :D

chico2
May 1st, 2008, 07:00 AM
I really know nothing of IBD,but it souds like it's a managable problem,which is great.
I was told by my vet,the fastest more accurate test for Giardia is a DNA test,but with Rocky we'll do 3 pooptests first.
Good luck with the raw-feeding,hopefully Lychee will like it:fingerscr

Love4himies
May 1st, 2008, 07:06 AM
IBD in the small intestine is similar to Crohnes in humans. I know somebody that has a cat with this and their cat can only eat a raw diet. They do, however go through periods of flares that do require pred to get it under control.

They do not use pred as a maintenance drug in humans (unless they become steriod dependent) and I would suggest not to use it on your cat either. Hopefully a raw diet will help:fingerscr

sugarcatmom
May 1st, 2008, 07:18 AM
That's awesome (and rare) that your vet is supportive of feeding raw! I second BMDluver's suggestion of going with rabbit - it tends to be very easy to digest for cats and is close to something they'd eat in "nature" (unlike, say beef). You may have to supplement it with extra taurine as rabbits tend to have lower amounts of taurine then other meats.

Something to ask your vet about is injectable vitamin B12. Here's a description of the protocol designed by Texas A&M University, explaining how & why Cobalamin injections can really help pets with IBD: http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/research/cobalamin.shtml If your vet hasn't heard of it, do send him the link. I think it should be essential treatment in cases of severe IBD.

Love4himies
May 1st, 2008, 07:31 AM
Added omega 3's and probiotics may help control the disease too. The omega 3's are thought to be an anti-inflammatory.

sugarcatmom
May 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM
Just want to add that if you do decide to use probiotics, some things to look for are mixed bacteria (more than one type), high-potency (2 billion organisms or more), and non-dairy (dairy can be problematic for IBD cats).

Other supplements to consider (maybe not all at once!) are Slippery Elm bark (not sure if that's already been mentioned and I'm too lazy to check), which is both soothing to the digestive tract and acts to balance water levels in the gut, so it's great for diarrhea. There's also something by Standard Process called Feline Enteric Support (http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=347) that helps improve intestinal function.

dodecaphonie
May 5th, 2008, 07:09 AM
UPDATE

Hello all, I hope you are all well !

I just thought I'd let you know where I am with Lychee.

I had an appointment at that clinic because I wanted to be sure that the food I made for her was balanced. I am not feeding her raw at the moment. The lady suggested that we start with a home made cooked food because the ulcers in the intestine make her prone to bacteria infiltration. She said that once that her hair will have grow a little and the the medical treatment will be more advanced, it will be safe for her to eat raw food. I am still giving her a homeopathic remedy.

For now, I give her Innova Evo chicken and turkey. I wish I could home cook for her, but I am missing some of the supplements so it would not be balanced. I am trying to find everything in between my very busy schedule. I wish I had all the supplements already so I could start. Some of them are hard to find, like taurine. There are many supplements that I need to give her either to reinforce immune functions or to help soothing the GI tract. One of them is whey powder. I also changed from giving her tap water to spring water. Also, I will change her litter. Now I use shweat scoop, which could be a possible allergen. I think I will use Healthy pet fiber litter...but the store was back order so I must wait for that as well...

Her diet for the moment will consist of one protein and a tbs of sweet potato. She told me to add butter to the potato, I was surprised, but she said she needed that fat. Also, she said it is important to rotate between different protein sources. I am a little scared of that because of her possible food allergies, though I read something online that suggested that on the contrary, it is preferrable for cats with that condition. It reinforces the immune system and help the body not to develop a reaction through repeated exposure, I don't know... I will follow her advice.

She has been on prednisone for one week. She is doing good. Her stools are normal now. She still could have more energy, but that will come I am sure !

I will let you know as we make progress. I can't wait to start cooking !
:pawprint:

ancientgirl
May 5th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Sounds like you have things pretty much in order to help Lychee. I hope the food change works. At least she doesn't have the bloody stool anymore so that's a great sign.

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
yay for improvement! :highfive:

:goodvibes: for the homecooked/raw diet! :fingerscr I'm looking forward to progress reports as she improves even more!

rainbow
May 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Your vet sounds great and glad to hear that Lychee is doing much better. :thumbs up I hope she continues to improve. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
May 6th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Have you found a good probiotic? will help to replenish the good gut flora

There are feline vitamins that contain taurine, since I have not used any I can't recommend nor name a brand.

Raw Beef Heart is also high in taurine, cooking it does destroy some of the protien and nutrients. I don't have info yet on how much it contains as compared to taurine requirements.

For the cat litter I use Feline Fresh (http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/index.htm) pine litter & I highly recommend it

chico2
May 6th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Dode,thank's for the good news:thumbs up
Lychee seems to be in great hands,I am sure she'll do well:cat:.

Love4himies
May 6th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I am surprised you are trying different proteins. As this can be caused from an allergy or food intolerance, it is very important to isolate what is causing it, if indeed it is a food. Keep the diet simple, there is no way of knowing what is causing the immune system to attack the colon. Could be a chemical in the cat food, a protein, a fat, a carb., a bacteria, or could be just a malfunction in the immune system. Normally you start with a protein the cat has never been exposed to and keep the cat on that protein for a minimum of 12 weeks. If it is a food interolance, then the immune system will always recognize that protein as an invader, doesn't matter how much exposure your cat has to it (think of people who are lactose intolerant).

Also fat intake should be kept to an absolute minimum, many humans with IBD can't tolerate fatty diets, very hard on their digestive systems. It can also slow down digestion time in the stomac causing nausea.

Adding fibre to your cats diet will help slow down the colon so water can be absorbed, very important for cats as they have a low thirst drive.

dodecaphonie
May 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Little update :

Lychee was doing fine until today. She had a little bit of diarrhea with a little bit of blood. Earlier this week, the vet decided to lower her prednisone to once every two days...I don't know if it is because of that.

I have not been able to change her litter yet, because the one that I wanted to use was back order at the store. I just started with a mix of the new and the old litter yesterday. Also, I just received all the supplements to cook for her so I sarted tonight with the homemade diet. I realise that she possibly has been in contact with the possible allergen all this time, but I could not really make the change sooner. I hope that she will be alright.:pray:

chico2
May 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Sorry Lychee is having a bit of a set-back,hopefully just a one time problem.
I cannot advice you on anything,I'm just hoping Lychee will be ok:pray:

ancientgirl
May 12th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I hope with you making her food she will finally be able to get healthy. :pray:

Love4himies
May 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Little update :

Lychee was doing fine until today. She had a little bit of diarrhea with a little bit of blood. Earlier this week, the vet decided to lower her prednisone to once every two days...I don't know if it is because of that.

That is quite common in humans.

Good luck with her diet trials.