Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seeking "likely" IBD advice for cat

chandler2008
April 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hi - Just went to see another vet for other treatment available, told to euthanize. Trouble is, it is hard to see that as the only option for my still purring, attention seeking, grooming, active cat. Here's the details:
4 mth hx of vomitting q 1-3 d. Age 7, indoor, moved 1 mth prior to symptoms, always has been a nervous cat. Severe wt loss (usual wt ~4.5 kg, now 2.2). Wanting food, but intake sporatic and finicky. Labs showed low pro, all other normal (Hgb, thyroid) but these done 1 mth after initial symptoms, gums pale now. Xray and U/S showed no foreign bodies, masses, but inflamed small intestines. Exploratory surgery not an option, fecal test was never done (I asked but said unnecessary) Has had diarrhea for 5 days (exacerbated by our babysitter giving her milk!) but no vomitting ?!? Treatment: was tried on hypoallergenic food for a few days, but like any food we try, initially likes, then doesn't. Was given one dose of antibiotics initially. After xray, started on 5mg prednisone daily, then tapered, increased back up to 10 mg a day, now tapered (total 5 weeks now). Why am I being told to give up when I read about prednisolone, Flagyl, dietary changes etc. as options for additional therapy if prednisone not responsive (she still vomits, but now no blood and volume much less). Any advice?

want4rain
April 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
i have no advice other than to be patient. we have some very cool people on here who may have some advice for you.

what were you feeding?? would you consider a different philosophy for feeding? a cursory search on the net says that raw feeding may help???

i can not express enough that i have *no* experience with this though. maybe you should look at a serious dietary change?? if euthanization is whats highly suggested, making some odd ball changes might be worth it.

-ashley

satchelp
April 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
You may want to ask the vet about Budesonide, which is also a steroid. It is orignially a drug for humans, but there has been success using it in dogs and cats for IBD. It has a lot fewer side effects than prednisone as most of it is not absorbed by the body. It works locally on the inflamed bowel as it passes through. Google 'budesonide cats' and you will see all kinds of articles.

I don't understand why the vet wants you to give up at this point. It may be a good idea to get a second opinion. You are the best judge of your cat's quality of life.

sugarcatmom
April 23rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
I agree that it's a little premature to be thinking about euthanasia for your kitty when there are so many other options to try. A second opinion, maybe from a holistic vet if there is one in your area, would be a good idea. Also, please read this link about IBD and a raw diet: http://www.catnutrition.org/ibd.php The prescription hypoallergenic diets are often not the answer, especially for cats and especially if they're dry food. In fact, if you haven't already, the first thing I'd suggest is getting your cat off of ALL dry food. Even the prescription diets are full of inappropriate ingredients for an obligate carnivore.

Satchelp's suggestion to try Budesonide is a good one. There are also other things that may help, like B12 injections http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/research/cobalamin.shtml or Slippery Elm Bark. It would be a good idea to join this Yahoo feline IBD group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FelineIBD/ It's a very active board with a ton of members who have all been through the same thing.

All the best to you and your cat, and please keep us updated on her progress.

Love4himies
April 23rd, 2008, 08:25 AM
I agree with sugarcatmom and changing diets and finding an holistic vet.

I know of a cat who had horrible IBD and when the owner changed to 100% raw, the symptoms pretty much disappeared. Cat is now flourishing.

My Jasper can't eat anything with grain, he gets horrible, smelly diarrhea.