Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat in heat, I have questions

Helene4
April 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
As some of you know, I'm taking care of a stray cat I found last month. Her name is Roxy (instead of cat # 3!). She is staying in my garage because I have 2 cats and 2 dogs in the house. As of yesterday, I'm sure she's in heat. I have 2 cat books but they haven't been very helpful and my cats are spayed so I don't have any experience in this situation.

How long will she be in heat? How many times will she be in heat during the next months? Is it normal for a cat in heat to pee outside the litter box? I found 2 spots on the floor and she's never done that before.

She has a scheduled vet appointment in 2 days for a general exam (vaccines, etc.) and at that time I will schedule an appointment to have her spayed. It might take a few month because I know the vet clinic has a waiting list. I read somewhere it's best not to vaccinate when a cat is in heat. Any truth to that?

The good news is my sister will adopt her in June-July when she moves in her new home in the country. Until then, hubby and I will take care of her. Anyway, now I'm certain she's a female and I won't have to ask the vet if there is a way to know if she's already spayed; I have my answer!

Thanks for your comments!

ancientgirl
April 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for taking care of the little girl. If she's in heat, and by now you probably are sure because of the meowing and writhing on the ground. I believe a heat cycle lasts around 4 days give or take. And I also think they can come into heat every couple of months.

I know most vets won't spay until after they are over their cycle, mine would not. Kiska was about 4 or 5 months old, which I had no clue they could go into heat so early. I also found that she peed outside the box a few times. I hear that's somewhat normal in some cases. Is there somewhere else you can have her spayed before June/July?

Helene4
April 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
If my regular vet clinic can't do the operation soon, I might try a vet clinic in another town a bit farther away. Last fall my aunt adopted a stray kitten and got her appointment a week after calling the vet; the nearest clinic could only do it 2 or 3 months later.

I'm glad to hear the cycles last only a few days, I thought they lasted a good week or so!

14+kitties
April 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
A female can be in heat for 4 to 5 days (or longer), be out of it for a few days, then start all over again. I had one who never seemed to be out of heat! It is never the same with cats. Some start very early, others don't start until they are eight months or older.
Some vets will spay while they are in heat. Be aware there are a few more risks while in heat - increased blood flow, enlarged uterus, etc. but it is done. I just had 9 females done within a few months span. Some were in heat, others weren't. They recouped the same and are doing great!

Just some neat info -

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/spay-neuter/dont-delay.html

ancientgirl
April 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
It could last a week though. Mine only lasted about 4 days but I think at the time someone told me it could last a few days longer. Of course she came into heat a week before I had set to spay her:frustrated:

Love4himies
April 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
At this time of year it can be almost continuous. Sweet Pea went into heat after weaning her kittens and she never really came out of it until she was spayed a few weeks later.

CyberKitten
April 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
There is only one sensible solution - take her to the vet and have her spayed. You might wait until this cycle is over and help her through it by petting her and s forth but have her spayed asap!! This will make her a healthier cat and not have to suffer like that any longer!