Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male Dog Humping Male Cat

2dogs2cats
April 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
We recently brought home a new dog, male, unfixed, anout 3 yrs old. He was wondering the streets and was filthy, we tried to find his owner, but couldn't, and he had no collar or tags on him. This was about 2 months ago...This morning I found him humping one of our male cats( 1 yr old), as soon as he saw me he stopped, and waited till I left the room to try again. He has been doing this all morning. He hasn't done this before, not even to our other male dog (dominence). Another oddity of the issue...the male cat keeps laying with him and rubbing against him (like a cat would do to you legs when seeking attention). Can anyone tell me what this is about? Like I said he stops as soon as I walk in the room, as if he knows he shouldn't be doing it...?:shrug:

2dogs2cats
April 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Can anyone help me with this? He will not stop doing it...he is doing it even more today...?

aslan
April 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
well main thing is to get him fixed. It should help the situation out. hmm maybe him and the cat are inlove.

luckypenny
April 23rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
Welcome 2dogs2cats :) . Thanks for taking this lost dog in.

First, I'd recommend you have the dog neutered. I think it would be a good start to curb this behavior. Next, correct him each and every time he begins to hump your cat (a firm "uh uh" or "no"). This would mean not allowing them together unsupervised. He probably stops as soon as you enter the room because he may have been corrected for the behavior in his past home.

What kind of a dog is he? Is your cat neutered? How about your other dog? Two unneutered male dogs may cause some aggression problems.

SnowDancer
April 23rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
My 22 lb. male Eskimo used to hump our 22 lb. male cat - both were neutered and both seem to enjoy it. I have strange pets. But at least size wise it was fair.

Longblades
April 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
If the humping is behavioural or dominence related then neutering may not solve anything. If you cannot assess it yourself try to get a more experienced doggy friend or even contact an animal behaviourist to help you. It would be a shame to subject him to the risks of neutering if it isn't going to solve the problem.

If the dog is not so big as to hurt the cat and the cat does not object I see no problem with it, other than aesthetics when you have visitors over. Can you try to displace the cat with something like a big toy teddy bear? Then, if successful, you can just hide poor Teddy when company comes.

Another thing to investigate is perhaps the cat has an infection which is making him smell attractive to the dog. I'm really guessing on this one but if you do some research you'll find that can be a cause of humping, dog on dog, regardless of gender.

badger
April 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Longblades, you seriously think she should hire an animal behaviourist to avoid the 'risks' of neutering? I think you should come clean and mention that the document you posted is from www.naiaonline.org, which is a lobby group for members of 'animal industries' (to put it politely).

14+kitties
April 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
It would be a shame to subject him to the risks of neutering if it isn't going to solve the problem.

I'm sorry, but please explain. I guess I took a dumb pill this morning. I always thought the pros of spaying/neutering far outweighed the cons????? :shrug:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/spayingneutering.htm

http://www.puppys-place.com/neutering_your_male_puppy.html

Longblades
April 23rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
I did not post a document on this thread.

Thanks for posting the NAIA link. I really didn't know anything about them till you provided the link. It's just that they happened to have a link to one of the health articles I looked up. I did find that NAIA Trust is the lobby group. NOT the link posted above. As you know, from reading the information presented in the first link, they are a "related" organization. Both groups aim to protect animal INTERESTS. The officers and board members and their background and credentials are shown up front and include several Veterinarians. Anyone is free to support them or not, as they wish.

Whether the pros of neutering outweigh the cons is a personal decision. There are significant health risks which are not always presented to us. There are also some behavioural detriments to spay and neuter. Again, I will provide links to two good articles if the OP wishes. Both are exhaustively referenced to supporting articles, research and Vet records. Both leave the final decision up to the pet owner. One article is from the NAIA site but can be obtained at several different websites as well. Incidentally, both pro-neuter websites linked by 14+ state that neutering a male dog will reduce the occurence of prostate problems/cancer but this is something that Veterinary medical research has determined is not true. The risk of prostate cancer in male dogs is increased by neutering.

The OP's dog is three years old and likely is sexually mature. Even if her dog's humping is sexually motivated, neutering may not end the behaviour as the behaviour is now learned and established. A simple google search will turn up many references to support this. If the dog is to be neutered for the sole reason of stopping it's humping, well then, yes, I do believe the OP might want to determine first if it is likely to achieve the effect she desires.

2dogs2cats
April 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

The cat seems to not be liking it anymore, as he tries more and more to get away from him.

I know the cats are not neutered, our first dog (Airedale Terrier - -Ranger) is not, and to be completely honest the dog we took in is pretty hairy and puffy so I can't be 100% if he is or not. We think he is a poodle schnauzer mix (Schnoodle) at least that's what we've been told...

Funny...the dogs name is Teddy so when I read the line that LongBlades posted I thought he was saying to put the dog away lol...then I realized I hadn't mentioned his name and he was talking about the bear...:laughing:

I know he was a family dog, as he is great with our children (5yo and 17 months), and we made sure when we brought him in to wash him up, and test for aggression...by doing such things as trying to take his food while eating...petting him while eating...even yanking at his tail while eating...showed no signs of aggression. He has been groomed b4 as you can tell where is hair was cut, his teeth were nice and white with no buildup and his ears were clean. We tested the dogs together first, then the dogs and cats...at first our one cat (not the one being humped) didn't like him at all but now they get along well. He does show a lot of protection...when my husband is playing with Ranger...the dog will jump in and bark if it seems like Ranger is getting out of hand (Ranger likes to jump and pretend bite my husband...but doesn't do it while playing with myself or the kids...in fact with the kids he lays on his back with legs up and tail between his legs in submissive postition)

Any articles that might help explain this behavior are appreciated. Hopefully this is just a "phase" but not sure of that because he is already about 3...and COULD be something already established...? Just weird that we've had him since February and hasn't showed signs of this before...?:confused:

We also have a very loud bird, and used to have about 70 hermit crabs...:D

2dogs2cats
April 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Actually...thinking about it further...the cat being humped...which we call Orange one...cause we couldnt settle on a name and kept calling him that lol...well he came from a shelter and shelters neuter animals before sending them home don't they?

badger
April 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
well he came from a shelter and shelters neuter animals before sending them home don't they?
Usually, but not necessarily :rolleyes:
I've seen puppies being corrected for this kind of behaviour, maybe he wasn't?
I've got a male (neutered) cat that humps blankets, etc. If he even proposed such a thing to one of his 'brothers', he'd get major resistance :laughing::laughing::laughing:

glasslass
April 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
I imagine the cat will correct the situation when he gets tired of it.