Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from West Quebec

Catherine Lane
April 22nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Hello everyone, my Name is Catherine Lane,and I just chanced upon this forum this morning and am happy to find a place that covers topics regarding all our animal companions. I work with dogs professionally and spend a lot of time on various dog groups and forums, so it's nice to talk and learn more about cats, reptiles etc. I live in West Quebec, in the countryside near Wakefield, with my two dogs, thirteen cats (yep, I'm a drop-off centre) two ball pythons and a bearded dragon. Professionally, I'm a canine nutrition consultant, educator and writer, and I'm about to complete my last training for certification in Tellington Touch. Dogs are my life, but I'm a longtime animal lover and hope to add an African Grey Parrot and a Pygmy Goat to my zoo here soon - still in the research phase.

Looks like a great forum, and a nice place to get going in the morning with several strong lattes...:)

Nice meeting you all,
Cat :)

aslan
April 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the forum, hope to see pics of your babies soon.

chico2
April 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Catherinehttp://bestsmileys.com/welcome/16.gifto our Forum.
It sounds like you have a wealth of experience and somewhat of a zoo,we have a few wonderful members with a multitude of animals,just like you.
Great to have you here:thumbs up

Catherine Lane
April 22nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Wow - Oakville and Toronto, my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Mississauga and moved to TO when I was 18, lived there till I turned 30. I've been in the country ever since - my friends gave it six months when I moved out here,and I admit it was a lot of adjustment but thats 19 years ago and here I am.

I have to say I miss TO a lot, but a few days visit and I'm usually going crazy for the country again. Can't have it all I guess.
Thanks for the warm welcomes... Seems like a really nice forum here.:thumbs up

Love4himies
April 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
WOW what a family you have!

We would love to see pics.

Melhusking
April 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Welcome, this is a great place to drop into... living in Australia I usually get the quiet time of the forum but you will find that everyone is really great and that the long timers are very helpful (aslan :thumbs up). For someone so far away I have been made to feel very much at home and I know that you will have the same experience!

Catherine Lane
April 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
I would love to post pics but it looks like a bit of rocket science so far - and I'm only as techno-savvy as I absolutely have to be. Can I use photobucket? Wait - I'll go for a walk, come back and make coffee,and read the instructions again slowly. :)

The nice thing here is all the topics - I am just plagued with cat (behaviour)issues and I have such a busy life as it is, I admit I don't find the time to do cat-research. My "technique" of coping with it could be described as "squirt and separate" - water bottles for the plant digging and counter surfing, separation for the fighting and bullying . Life is too full for me to do a lot more...
My senior dog Lila has advanced cardiomyopathy, advanced spondylosis and last fall had a 5 pound (you read that right) malignant tunour removed from her spleen. She is full of life and doesnt want to quit just yet - but her food and supplements are very labour intensive, plus the 4 short walks a day, 2 physio sessions and as much TTouch as I can squeeze in. Then there's Daniel's walks; my, errr, dayjob lol (12 hours) and I am still taking nutrition courses myself - so yes, I hope and pray the cats will be easy keepers! And so far so good, the issues are all behavioural. When locals started dropping cats off here - you know I'm the dog lady, so I must want more cats, right? I was sure I could rehome them, but no chance. So here they are, I never intended to have 13. And all doing well so far, but behaviourally it's a bit of a nightmare. I can't wait to get input from the cat experts here about all of this.

Will try to put the tenacious Miss Lila and the ever endearing young Daniel up later on... :)
Cat

hazelrunpack
April 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Yes, photobucket can be used (though the few of us on extremely slow dial-up probably won't be able to open them). Or, if you can resize the pics to less than 100K you can upload them here as attachments. There is, I believe, a 36-hour delay before you're allowed to upload, but if you PM marko, he can enable your account right away.

But where are my manners?! Welcome to the board, Catherine Lane! :D I have multiple dogs, too, but thankfully no one has decided I need cats to fill out the menagerie. :eek: 13 of them, eh? I'm looking forward to hearing about all your critters!

luckypenny
April 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Welcome Catherine :) .

chico2
April 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Katherine,I also meant to say,we LOVE dogladies who had to become cat-ladies,even if it was forced upon you:laughing:
Are you telling us you have 13 cats in the house?:cat:
Also,thank's for caring for these little guys some jerk dumped on you:thumbs up
Ask away about cats and their behaviour,we have some very knowledgable cat/dog people here:cat:/:dog:

Catherine Lane
April 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Katherine,I also meant to say,we LOVE dogladies who had to become cat-ladies,even if it was forced upon you:laughing:
Are you telling us you have 13 cats in the house?:cat:
Also,thank's for caring for these little guys some jerk dumped on you:thumbs up
Ask away about cats and their behaviour,we have some very knowledgable cat/dog people here:cat:/:dog:

Hello chico - Thank you for the warm welcome!

I have a five bedroom country house on a huge wooded lot, so they do go outside now - but winter was hell. It's costing me a small fortune. One person dumped three kittens at once, and I lined up three homes which all feel through. That was a year ago and Rasa, Rupa and MacKenzie are my friends now, you know? Then more over the past year - Shalom, Tatiana and Ogden - who am I missing? Right, Tucker and Leopold, the so-called "devils". More drop offs. The one cat I already had got pregnant (I am slowly getting them all neutered but I left Evita over the winter as I was A) broke and B) she wasn't well and the vet advised we wait to spay. First thing she was better she got out and got pregnant. I have four utterly sweet babies now. Like I needed that! (Evita gets spayed on Thursday)

My main issue is that Evita beats on MacKenzie mercilessly, and they all use my houseplants as litter. Several also urinate on the carpets and stovetop(who knew? I nearly fainted when I discovered this) . I know, BAD kitties. They also go berserk at night when I'm trying to sleep. It's a lot to deal with. My dogs are sooo good in comparison!

Thanlks for listeing to that. I'll find a cat behaviour thread somewhere...I know I will...I feel like no good deed goes unpunished, right? In the country people often treat animals this way, and since I home cook dogfood and put coats on my Rhodesians in winter, I'm widely regarded as the resident "crazy lady". ergo - the cats.
Wait till they see the goat, lol..

chico2
April 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Did you have a peek at FancyApps goats???They are adorable,she has 9:lovestruck:
We love goats and anything else four-legged and of course"crazy-ladies",there are a lot of us around here:laughing:

Catherine Lane
April 23rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
Did you have a peek at FancyApps goats???They are adorable,she has 9:lovestruck:
We love goats and anything else four-legged and of course"crazy-ladies",there are a lot of us around here:laughing:

Ooh, not yet, but trust me, I will get there...:) A lot to work through here and only so many hours in a day - but I am trying to work a bit less and take a bit more funtime for myself.
Can anyone tell me how to PM a moderator? I have a couple of questions and I cant seem to see a PM function anywhere...

One question I should be ok to ask here - is there a prayer thread anywhere? I started an online candle site for a dog I'm working iwth who is extremely ill and would like to invite members to add a little light for Ellie...

chico2
April 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Up in the right-hand corner of every page there is a Private Messaging box.
I think you need a certain amount of posts before you can PM anyone,not sure how many..
As for a prayer thread,we have a Rainbow Bridge thread..
:pray:for the poor sick pup,whom I know is in very safe,loving hands:pray:

Catherine Lane
April 23rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Up in the right-hand corner of every page there is a Private Messaging box.
I think you need a certain amount of posts before you can PM anyone,not sure how many..
As for a prayer thread,we have a Rainbow Bridge thread..
:pray:for the poor sick pup,whom I know is in very safe,loving hands:pray:

Chico, perhaps I could start a Prayer thread? This shouldn't really go in the Rainbow Bridge section as we are pulling out all the stops to save her.
Here's the link:

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=Ellie

Ellie is 15 and in liver failure. After much discussion with her Dad, we've decided to give it one week on intensive natural support. If Ellie wants some more time here, I believe we open the door for her to stay, but if she needs to go I don't support doing the heroics forever. Ultimately it's between Ellie and her Dad, I am only here to provide the information.
Perhaps this needs it's own thread...:angel2:

breeze
April 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the forum Catherine Lane..
It sure is a fun place to talk get info and just to hang out....

http://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/95.gif

Lili
April 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Bienvenue Catherine!

(Do you speak French?!) :) We live in the same area. I used to live near Chelsea and I'm now in Gatineau.

Here's to hoping you will inspire others to open their doors and hearts to furry friends in need.

Lili

Catherine Lane
April 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Helo Lili,

Sadly my French is very limited. I would love to have time to devote to more study, really I would, but time is very tight for me. Thank you for the warm welcome...:)
Cat

FancyAppy
April 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Welcome. There are many interesting topics here and plenty of areas to post photos. I have not been here very long but have found that everyone is very friendly and really loves their pets.There is alot of great info here . I know you will enjoy your time here.

geisha
April 26th, 2008, 10:49 PM
A little late, but welcome to the forum and thank you for your advise on what Lamb & Rice diet. I did choose California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice as it was the only one available at the store.
I am interested in dog nutrition and was wondering where are you taking the courses?
Cheers.