Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Becomming a Rescue?

JuniperTree
April 21st, 2008, 02:32 AM
How does one go about becoming a rescue? (I'm in British Columbia)
Thanks

CearaQC
April 21st, 2008, 06:13 AM
1. Get lots and lots of money!

2. Register with a governmental agency as a licensed charity.

3. Find people who are willing to open their homes to foster animals.

4. Get out there and save some animals

5. Find happy loving forever homes for saved animals.

BMDLuver
April 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM
Find a rescue near where you are moving to and volunteer with them. See what goes on, what to expect etc. Rescue can be financially crippling. The dog/cat appears perfectly fine when you pick it up then surprise, it needs a few $1000 in vet bills to keep it going and become healthy. The adoption fee covers the taxes, then what? Consider your lifestyle and your own gangs health, can they be exposed to anything without them having health complications?

You don't say what type of rescue so it's hard to give you an idea of what to expect. Meaning Purebred Dogs, Mutts, Purebred Cats, Cats, Birds, Rodents, Lizards, etc?

NoahGrey
April 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
I agree with the two posts,

I would also like to add that please make sure that you are doing rescue for the right reasons and the best interest of the animals.

I am sure you will do this, but I have had to investigate "rescues" because of selfish rescuers..who are only doing rescue for themselves. They think they can save them all, and won't listen to the vet, when the best interest for the animal would for it to be put down..ie-extremely ill/sick. I have actually had vets, go against their wishes, because what they were doing was inhumane.

I have been in a "rescue" house and they had a whopping 120 cats...it was crazy. And just because you are a licensed charity can mean squat. I have been to rescue orgaizations that were licensed and have had to shut them down. I think in Halifax recently a licensed charity was bring investigated and I believe it was also shut down.

Remember, there are certain protcols that you should follow...Every stray that you pick up, is probably someones pet. Make sure to see if they are chipped, have a tattoo in ear, or belly. Contact Humane Soceities/spcas. Some one might be missing their pet.

ACO22

badger
April 21st, 2008, 10:07 AM
Also, you have to be a little bit out of your mind :laughing:
Seriously, figure out exactly how much you can handle in terms of space, time, emotional resilience, help from others (you'll need it) and money.
Reflect on your actions because people will ask why you rescue (or spend so much time rescuing) and an intelligent answer helps the cause (there are no unintelligent answers).
Then dive in. Prepare for discouragement (you will never have enough space, etc to help them all) and deep satisfaction.
I don't know about registering as a charity. I'm breaking a few too many laws to even attempt it :)

JuniperTree
April 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys. I have been fostering Beagles and Beagle crosses for years now. We are looking at buying a chunk of property that used to be a small boarding kennel, so it already has a very nice, clean facility. We are thinking of sharing our good fortune, and our land, with some rescue dogs needing loving, healing and someone to find them a forever home. I work out of the home and know just how much it can cost to save dogs (heart wise and money wise). But finding all the right paperwork and making sure we can do things properly can be frustrating.

jealma
April 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM
3 cheers for you being willing to take on such a big job. I am not in the position to do this kind of work but it makes my heart happy that people like yourself can and do give back, I look forward to seeing pictures of some of your rescues :-) good luck