Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seeking info.- My dog does this weird thing with his toungue

arli33
April 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM
I have a 3 year-old Shihtzu and I've noticed that after he's done licking anything, his tongue moves very rapidly and hangs outside of his mouth. Any idea what this might be?

Dr Lee
April 21st, 2008, 05:47 PM
I have a 3 year-old Shihtzu and I've noticed that after he's done licking anything, his tongue moves very rapidly and hangs outside of his mouth. Any idea what this might be?

One possible answer may be an effort to maximize taste. Dogs, just like people and all mammals, do not have even distribution of our type of taste sensors on our tongue. For example you will experience the higher sensation of sweetness on the tip of your tongue than any other part; with bitter sensors on the back and salty sensors on the side, etc... This is why when we taste something great or perhaps evaluating a fine wine or spirit, it is important to move the food/liquid across the back, sides, top and tip of the tongue in order to experience the 'full taste'.

Another possible cause could be dental disease - some animals if they move their tongue or mouth, then realize the discomfort of gum inflammation or dental disease.

And perhaps a behavioral / personal individuality component may be present as well. I hope that may help.:pawprint: