Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with IBS

dodecaphonie
April 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Hello once again !

My cat Lychee suffers from what appears to be IBS. She had a couple of episodes in the past. When I adopted her in august, she had diarrhea, but I thought it was due to stress. It cleared out on it's own. However, in january she got an episode that required a vet visit. They gave her an antibiotic and a cortisone shot. Then in march, she got very sick with bloody diarrhea and vomiting and she had to stay at the vet for 5 days. Once again, antibiotics and cortisone shot.

I began thinking that it was probably not that good on the long run to always give her antibiotics and cortisone and started a homeopathic treatment (she received something for diarrhea symptoms, Arsenicum album as a constitutional remedy and Hepavet to help her liver detoxify). I also added probiotics to her food. It went very well until today. I hope I am not too paranoid, but I just don't want to go over the same thing as last time.My vet is on vacation this coming week. This morning she had mucus and a little bit of blood in her stool, but the consistency was normal. Tonight, the stool was formed, but it was pale ( yellowish ) in colour, rather soft and smelled very bad. Also, she was not very hungry. I know these could be signs that she is on the verge of another crisis.

I decided to add probiotics again ( I had stopped ) and I will give her the homeopathic remedy for diarrhea. :pray:

Is there anyone here that would have an advice about this whole situation ? I don't want to use chemical medication if possible. She is eating canned Innova evo and canned Nature's variety at the moment. I am on the worried side at the moment, especially since my homeopathic vet is not there this week...:sad:

Sorry that was long ! Thank you.

Love4himies
April 21st, 2008, 07:47 AM
Pale yellow stools almost sound like an infection. Can you bring in a fresh sample for your vet (or replacement vet while yours is on vacation) to check?