Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We moved! Kitties are stressing...

danaekitty
April 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Well, the move went relatively smoothly. It was a nightmare getting Zelda and Olive over here. They're being quite weird, too. When the old place was empty, I went to pick up the cats...Olive was squashed into a little corner of the cupboard and it was a mission to get her out - she clawed me to hell, and it took two tries to get her into the car. Zelda was totally cool - she was purring, wanting to be picked up, wanting to play, same as always, even though her house was empty. She did try to take off when I was putting her into the car, but we managed. I plopped them both in the bedroom of the new house, and under the bed they stayed for several hours.

It's a day later now. Olive stayed under the bed until after lights out last night, refusing to budge, but then explored the rest of the room at night, and all day today checking out the rest of the house. She is purring, wanting to be petted, basicall back to normal.

Zelda has taken a tur for the worse. Yesterday evening, although she did not leave the bedroom, she was quite cheerful, coming out from under the bed for cuddles whenever we coaxed her, purring and meowing like regular. I think she was even sleeping on the bed with us when, in the middle of teh night, we heard a couple cats fighting/doing it out in the backyard. You know the sound - nails on a chalkboard, wake-you-up, nightmarish wailing and screeching. Anyway, she LEAPT up into the shelf at the top of the closet (we have a dresser right next to the closet) and has been there pretty much ever since. When we go to see her, she stand up and stretches, sometimes purrs, but doesn't want to come down.

She and Olive were both exploring for a couple minutes just now, Zelda had a poop (they both know where their litter is, thank god), but then I heard a weird noise, and saw her dragging her butt along the hardwood floor, like a dog! I've never seen a cat do this before, let alone Zelda, who is so meticulously clean and tidy in the litter box. She's still quite nervous, and I'm worried that this butt-dragging might be a problem. What is the cause of this? Runny poo? I don't think she ever did it on our carpet at the old place.

She's back in the closet now. I just checked on her, and she did stretch a little and purr when I started petting her, so maybe she's doing okay.
Once my pics are finished uploading off my cam, I'll post them. I heart my new house. I just hope the girls do.

danaekitty
April 20th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Here are some shots of the house, boxes and all.

danaekitty
April 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM
This is my computer room, Olive adjusting to her new surroundings, and Zelda hiding up in the closet.

Love4himies
April 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I have moved many times with my cats and it is very stressful on them and takes a few days for them to really settle in. Makes it worse when there are neighbourhood cats around your yard too.

Puddles gets constipated when she gets stressed because she won't go to the bathroom and has the same poop problem as you are describing.

They will be fine in a couple of days.

Oh, and I fed them their fav canned food to ensure they were eating regularily.

ancientgirl
April 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
If you can, get some Rescue Remedy. It's got a calming effect and you can put a few drops in their food or spread some on the inside of their ears. You can also get some Feliway. A diffuser or they also have a spray. That's a pheromone product that is also supposed to help their stress.

The Rescue Remedy you can find at any health type store. I'm sure they will be fine eventually, but those things will at least help keep their stress down.

And I don't envy you having to get everything settled in. I hate moving.

duttypaws
April 20th, 2008, 03:07 PM
when i moved with lola i put her blankets out and my dirty bed sheets for her to know the smells... she lived under the bed for a few days but they come round... dont stress:)

badger
April 20th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I find the RR spray excellent and alot easier to use than struggling with the dropper :p These kinds of situations are definitely where it is most useful, especially for panic.
In the long run, I'm sure she'll be AOK.
Cats in the yard oh dear.

danaekitty
April 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks, I'm hoping she'll be fine.
I'm the one who really needs some rescue remedy...
Mike was out shopping with his sister all morning while I was organizing the office. He got home and begged me to go to the grocery store, seeing as he'd been the one doing all the running around all day. We made a deal. I'd go to the grocery store and stop by the old place to pick up all the stuff he'd left behind, meanwhile he's stack the bookshelf in the living room and do the laundry. Pretty good deal. So I get home and the first thing he does is drop a box of 500 of my business cards all over the driveway. I picked them up and walked into the house to discover that he'd put all the heaviest books on the top shelf and only done HIS laundry.
Know where he is now?
Golfing.
Seriously, I want to cry.

chico2
April 20th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Oh no,there is no his or hers in a relationship,ALL the laundry gets done,you tell him that:laughing:
I am sure the kitties will be ok,just give them time,they are still with you and each other,the only changes are the new home..
As for other cats outside,I keep my hose on the deck,since my Rocky behaves like a tiger seeing other cats and we'll spray any fighting cats,usually we miss,but they get the message.
To put everyones minds at ease,I know these cats,they have homes.
I would never do that to a starving little stray.
I am sure little Zelda will be ok,as long as she eats and drinks:cat:

NoahGrey
April 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
walked into the house to discover that he'd put all the heaviest books on the top shelf and only done HIS laundry.
Know where he is now?
Golfing.
Seriously, I want to cry.

*sigh* Men...*L*

ACO22

ancientgirl
April 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Oy, don't get too stressed. He's just being a guy.

danaekitty
April 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
Things are looking up, pet-wise. Olive is right at home, and Zelda is...well...getting there. She's still a bit nervous, wants to be held a lot, haven't seen her eating but I know she did yesterday because Mike put some kibble in the closet and it was gone shortly after. She's using the litter regularly, and hasn't wiped her bum on the hardwood again. My friend says she may have been marking her territory but I'd really prefer if she didn't use her anus to do it.:laughing:

I fixed the bookshelf, and I'm pretty sure Mike will now refuse to do any more opf the unpacking, since he thinks that I think nothing he does is satisfactory.
I think we're both just stressed and taking it out on each other. Here's hoping for a nice relaxing night.

Jim Hall
April 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM
i am sure zelda will settle in and I hope you all have a nice relaxing night

CyberKitten
April 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Cats are very territorial and they will miss their home for awhile. WHATEVER you do, DO NOT - and I cannot emphasize this enough - let them outside. cats have been known to run back to the home they left whether it is 5 or 5000 km away from the new address.

It is ironic your question came up today. a Vet yesterday was explaining to me why cats are so stressed about moving. For them, their territory and things - what they see as sentimental - is that territory. In the same way that we as humans maybe sentimental over a certain book or piece of furniture that we would never leave, they feel that way about the whole area they lived in before. The nooks and cranies, the hiding places, all of it is lot o them when they move and thus they are really upset and stressed and can't believe this has happened to them. It is one of the most stressful things that can happen to a cat and you might even want to make sure they are healthy for the next little while. Give them lots of extra attention, help them learn to like the new place. They'll eventually settle in but it is not easy for cats- think like them and you can see what I mean.

Good luck!

ancientgirl
April 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
CY, that makes so much sense. To an indoor cat, that's their world. It would be like moving us to another planet.

danaekitty
April 23rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
That does make a lot of sense. I knew from the day I signed the lease that this would be hard for them. Things are getting much better for them though. They are quite cheerful and cuddly, learning their way around the new place and exploring. I haven't let them out yet - how long do you think I should wait before letting them out, supervised?