Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Game on!

Gail P
April 20th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Thunder and Flurry getting a workout, Lightning's like "who cares? Just kick the ball"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0418dogs0018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0418dogs0019.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0418dogs0028.jpg

Gail P
April 20th, 2008, 12:54 AM
a few more

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0418dogs0029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0418dogs0030.jpg

And then Noah steps in. Referee, or joining the fray?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0418dogs0031.jpg

chico2
April 20th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Gail,it must be because I got up at 5am(Vinnie wake-up call)but I don't remember seeing you have seven dogs:confused:
Love your pics,Noah is beautiful as are the rest,looks like they have lots of fun together,doggy-haven:dog:

Gail P
April 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Gail,it must be because I got up at 5am(Vinnie wake-up call)but I don't remember seeing you have seven dogs:confused:
Love your pics,Noah is beautiful as are the rest,looks like they have lots of fun together,doggy-haven:dog:

Yep, seven.

Noah, 6 1/2 yr. old collie
Lightning, 3 yr. old border collie/lab - adopted privately
Thunder, 2 yr. old mix breed - rescued pup adopted at about 3 months
Flash, 2 yr. old mix (probably BC/ACD) - rescued and adopted with Thunder
Rain, yearling border collie adopted through a BC rescue when weaned
Storm, Rain's full brother (same litter, born in rescue)
Flurry, 5 month old border collie, half-brother of Rain and Storm, donated to my sled team by the same rescue/farm (they rescue but also breed CBCA reg. pups and do herding/trialling)

Looking back at the first couple of pics I posted I see that Rain is in them too, she's just an indistinct black lump on Lightning's side because as usual, she's crouched down stalking him while he's ignoring her in favour of the ball.

With this pack, and having the acreage for them to run and play on (besides their fenced backyard), plus trails to walk, it's like we have our own private dog park. I've also got some agility equipment out in the field and right now with the meltwater still laying around there are also a couple of shallow "ponds" for them to splash in. Sometimes I'll have friends come over with their dogs. One day when we were doing some sledding I think we ended up with about 12 dogs here, counting mine plus the friends.

I kind of think they enjoy it here, I certainly enjoy having them all. I love to be out just puttering around with my dogs at my side. Watching them all run and play, and especially the rescued ones, and even more so Thunder and Flash who were slated for euthanasia in a New Orleans shelter when they were just tiny pups (about 5 -6 weeks), running around happily playing and exploring and just enjoying life is very fulfilling.

ancientgirl
April 20th, 2008, 01:00 PM
What a doggy paradise you have there.

It's inconceivable to me a small puppy would be euthanized. I'm so happy you found them.

Frenchy
April 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
but I don't remember seeing you have seven dogs:confused:

And I didn't know about Noah :lovestruck: beautiful dog ! :cloud9:

chico2
April 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Aww thank's Frenchy,I thought my memory had gone totally bonkers,but I'm not the only one:laughing:
Gail,yes your property certainly looks like doggie-paradize,maybe even room for a couple more:dog:
Do you have shares at a vet-clinic??

rainbow
April 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I just thought you had the border collies :lovestruck: ....never knew about Noah. :cloud9:

Gail P
April 20th, 2008, 06:52 PM
What a doggy paradise you have there.

It's inconceivable to me a small puppy would be euthanized. I'm so happy you found them.

Flash and Thunder would have been born just a few months after Hurricane Katrina. With all the devestation down there the shelters were overflowing. A puppy rescue group went down and pulled 15 pups out just before they were due to be euthanized and brought them up to Canada. They do rescue out of their home though, they don't have a large kennel facility so I guess the pups were distributed to whatever rescues/shelters had room for them once here in Canada. I found these 2 listed on petfinder, they were at the Clarington Animal Shelter at that time. They would have been only 5-6 weeks old when they arrived in Canada but they had to be treated for parasites and coccidia and weren't well enough to go up for adtoption until about 3 months of age. Nothing wrong with them now though, they're full of vim and vigour.

And I didn't know about Noah beautiful dog !

Thanks. He's my big furry teddy bear. I love his colour and the look of his coat (just not always the grooming!) Actually, considering all the hair he has he doesn't need all that much, just stripping out the undercoat when he's shedding. He's got a dense, bushy coat. I've had collies before that had longer hair that tangled more, especially behind the ears. He's relatively low maintenance.

Do you have shares at a vet-clinic??

:laughing: Not quite, just a very tolerant vet who lets me keep an account and make payments. And payments and payments ... :o Here's a scary thought, Flurry's booked in for neutering in a few weeks and EVERYBODY is due for needles. That's 7 dogs, 2 cats, 3 horses. As I was saying, payments and payments and payments... Glad I'm on good terms with my vet :goodvibes:

Oh, almost forgot to add, I've got pics and bios of all my dogs on my website.

Gail P
April 20th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I just thought you had the border collies :lovestruck: ....never knew about Noah. :cloud9:

Seems you're in good company! When I first started using this forum and introduced myself I listed all my animals, but that was a while back now. Here's a pic of Noah with my daughter, taken in Jan. 2005 in her first ever kid & mutt race. There's actually a little story she wrote about it also on my website.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Mush_Noah.jpg

Frenchy
April 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Here's a pic of Noah with my daughter, taken in Jan. 2005 in her first ever kid & mutt race.

That is so cool !

rainbow
April 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
What a great pic.....it looks like he was gung-ho to go. :D

growler~GateKeeper
April 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Looking back at the first couple of pics I posted I see that Rain is in them too, she's just an indistinct black lump on Lightning's side because as usual, she's crouched down stalking him while he's ignoring her in favour of the ball.

:laughing: I had to look at those pics 3 times before I saw Rain there :laughing: The sneakyness would be very good for her should she find someone to herd other than Lightning :thumbs up

Gail P
April 21st, 2008, 12:08 AM
What a great pic.....it looks like he was gung-ho to go. :D

I love that picture, it was taken by a friend. And he does look so eager. What the picture doesn't show is me running along with him huffing and puffing. :laughing: Luckily once he got moving he kept going and I was able to stop. Although this picture makes him look great, Noah's not much of a sled dog. He doesn't have the speed or stamina to keep up with the border collies, and besides, you never know when he might just decide to drop down to chew ice balls out of his feet. :rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
April 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM
:laughing: As I recall the Collies prefer short zoomie play sessions :D

When I was little the neighbours had a Rough Collie that would come over to zoom around the backyard with our Siberian Husky :lovestruck:

rainbow
April 21st, 2008, 12:46 AM
He doesn't have the speed or stamina to keep up with the border collies, and besides, you never know when he might just decide to drop down to chew ice balls out of his feet. :rolleyes:

:laughing: :laughing:

Yeah, I have never seen a sled pulling collie before......you should have that pic framed. :D

chico2
April 21st, 2008, 06:07 AM
Gail,that is a beautiful pic of Noah and your daughter,I love Collies,there is something very gentle and dignified about them:lovestruck:
Although that pic throws my defenition out the window:laughing:

Gail P
April 21st, 2008, 12:43 PM
:laughing: :laughing:

Yeah, I have never seen a sled pulling collie before......you should have that pic framed. :D

I do. And so does my mom and my MIL

Gail,that is a beautiful pic of Noah and your daughter,I love Collies,there is something very gentle and dignified about them:lovestruck:
Although that pic throws my defenition out the window:laughing:

I'm afraid that if you met Noah you'd find there's not much dignified about him. He's such a goof. Then again, he grew up with a couple of great danes and now all these bc's and bc mixes so he never got to learn how to be a collie. :laughing: He is very gentle though, except when the big bozo isn't looking where he's going and crashes into me, or when he attacks my ankles. For some reason he'll let me walk out through the fields and to the chicken coop unmolested but on the way back he bounces in front of me, almost tripping me and bouncing backwards with every step I take, or he comes from the side or behind and likes to pick up my feet/ankles as I'm walking. What a boy :crazy: He's also very vocal and makes these weird noises that I think sound like a bear or something. Some friends of mine call him a wookie.

chico2
April 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Gail,I actually have only known one Collie,I have a pic here somewhere,he belonged to friends of mine and he was 14yrs old,died 1yr after this pic was taken(about 4 yrs ago).
Noah sounds wonderful,I love goofs:lovestruck:

Gail P
April 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Gail,I actually have only known one Collie,I have a pic here somewhere,he belonged to friends of mine and he was 14yrs old,died 1yr after this pic was taken(about 4 yrs ago).
Noah sounds wonderful,I love goofs:lovestruck:

He's pretty. Looks like he liked giving kisses. Noah is my 3rd collie, before him I had a pair of half-sisters. They were really great dogs. My mom also has one and has had two others before him. My last 2 and her first all came from my neighbour. She used to have a lot of collies and would very occasionally breed but she's cut way back on the number of dogs she has now and doesn't do any more breeding now that she's gotten more into horses (minis). I really like the collies however now that I'm getting more involved in dog sports I also really like the higher energy of the border collies.

FancyAppy
April 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Wonderful photos and I always enjoy reading your commentary. I am so glad you share your furries and thier stories with us.

loopoo
April 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
i love all the pics:) and especially love the collie.. but this goes way back to my childhood and leading the albert payson trehune books and having one as a family pet :rip: harley