Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog eating feces

sammy King
June 25th, 2004, 07:05 PM
:mad: I have a golden retriever that eats dog poop and also rubs in it. I am at my wits end with this. I am thinking of having him put down, having a hard time dealing with it. I like to take him out for walks in a park but always end up having to give him a bath. I also have to keep the yard cleaned up of dog poop to keep him from eating it. Also I take him on a walk in the mornings to do his duty, always on the look out for him eating dog poop.

If you have any ideas would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks,

Sam

Lucky Rescue
June 25th, 2004, 07:45 PM
You would kill your dog over a training problem??? This is a very common problem and I've not yet heard of anyone killing a dog for it.

Dogs need training. Are you letting him off leash? If you are, then how do you expect to teach him to stop? Teach him to "leave it".

This is from a training site:

"If the dog is still fond of feces, try teaching your dog not to touch it using the command 'LEAVE IT.' Put your dog on leash and walk him by some feces. If he shows any interest in it, tell him, 'LEAVE IT, and give the leash a tug..' If he continues to go for it, then loudly scold him, 'LEAVE IT!!!' and pull him away from it with a short, sharp tug on the leash. As soon as he turns his attention towards YOU, reward him with a treat or favorite toy. Continue walking and keep returning to different piles of feces over and over, repeating the off procedure until he gets the idea that you disapprove of his dietary interests. Whenever he shows no interest in the feces, be sure to tell him how happy you are through praise and reward."

Spoiled
June 25th, 2004, 10:22 PM
My dog was also like this, but we have gotten the poop eating down to very little and none for the last month. :) I seriously can't believe you would just put your dog down because he eats poop. A choke collar high on the neck will control any rubbing. Or you can get him a different collar that YOU can control him with. Gentle Leaders are great for this, until he is good about eating poop. Teach him the Leave it command like LR suggested.

AM04
June 25th, 2004, 10:29 PM
I had a problem with my dog eating cat poop.. but not other dog poop..

My vet told me my dog did this because cat poop tastes sweet to dogs :o

Spoiled
June 25th, 2004, 10:31 PM
It is a normal problem with dogs to eat cat poop. Try a covered litter box. :)

AM04
June 25th, 2004, 10:40 PM
That's what my vet told me to do, so I got one. but then they just started sticking their heads in and eating it.. so I put the litterbox in the basement, which the dogs are afraid to go in :p

babykitty
June 26th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Sammy king try giving your dog clorets breath fresheners, our vet suggested that, he said that they hate the smell of it in their poop.

AM04, I agree with you, my dog has no fear of sticking her head in a covered litterbox for kitty crunchies, she only does it when we aren't around to see it.
She also loves goose poo? I guess that's a Lab thing?

Goldenmom
June 26th, 2004, 09:36 AM
:mad: I have a golden retriever that eats dog poop and also rubs in it. I am at my wits end with this. I am thinking of having him put down, having a hard time dealing with it. I like to take him out for walks in a park but always end up having to give him a bath. I also have to keep the yard cleaned up of dog poop to keep him from eating it. Also I take him on a walk in the mornings to do his duty, always on the look out for him eating dog poop.

Thanks,

Sam

Are you kidding me?????????????????????????????

You would put your dog down because it has an issue that CAN be resolved with some research and patience???

You completely tick me off, let me tell you.

Goldens are notorious for eating poo. Why? I have no idea. How can it be helped? Usually it is the food they eat. I am not saying in all cases, but in my dealings with Goldens, this is the number one problem. You should talk to your vet about changing its food. The other thing you can do is not keep it off leash in an area where there is potential for it to eat and roll in it.

You should be cleaning the poop up in your yard IMMEDIATELY. Because you are not being diligent, you are blaming the dog!

You need a reality check and soon. This problem is yours, not the dogs and don't blame the dog for it. If this is all it takes for you to have a Golden put down, do yourself a favour and give it to rescue. I would take a Golden in a heartbeat even if it did have this problem. Why? Because it can be helped and it can also learn not to do it.

Geesh, some people....

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

sammy King
June 28th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Are you kidding me?????????????????????????????

You would put your dog down because it has an issue that CAN be resolved with some research and patience???

You completely tick me off, let me tell you.

Goldens are notorious for eating poo. Why? I have no idea. How can it be helped? Usually it is the food they eat. I am not saying in all cases, but in my dealings with Goldens, this is the number one problem. You should talk to your vet about changing its food. The other thing you can do is not keep it off leash in an area where there is potential for it to eat and roll in it.

You should be cleaning the poop up in your yard IMMEDIATELY. Because you are not being diligent, you are blaming the dog!

You need a reality check and soon. This problem is yours, not the dogs and don't blame the dog for it. If this is all it takes for you to have a Golden put down, do yourself a favour and give it to rescue. I would take a Golden in a heartbeat even if it did have this problem. Why? Because it can be helped and it can also learn not to do it.

Geesh, some people....

I am doing the research that you suggested!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont want to keep it on the leash for the walk. I take him to a park so that he can run and do the stuff a dog does. They need some freedom. I am not the oger you think. I live in town and keep the dog in a kennel only when I am gone, he has the run of the house when I am there. I most alwasy take him with me when I go someplace even to the store. I just cant handle having to give him a bath after every walk. If I cant find a solution to the problem I will get rid of him, how remains to be seen.

Sam

Goldenmom
June 28th, 2004, 09:23 AM
I understand your frustration, but please do everything possible first. You must love your dog?!?!

I have a close friend with a Golden 1 1/2 years old that does this. She changed her food to Nutro and so far has not done it in 2 months. Keep the dog on-leash until you get some control of it. Work hard with the "leave-it" command. Everytime they "leave-it", reward.

You can make things better with some diligence on your part. Pick up after it immediately.

You are always welcome to email me privately and we can see what else can be done.

Heather

Lucky Rescue
June 28th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Most dogs are dumped because the owners don't train them, expect them to train themselves, and get rid of them when they don't.

How do you expect to train your dog is she is not under your control? You need to keep her on leash until she learns to LEAVE IT. Then you can let her off.

She needs to run free - even if you will kill or dump her for what she does because you can't/won't train her?

My dog rolls in duck poop, bunny poop, and dead animals. She will also snack in the kitty litter box, if she has the chance. This is NORMAL for dogs to do. Will I kill her for it? Don't think so. If she gets into the kitty litter that is MY fault.

So this is YOUR fault. If you find her another home, please don't get any more dogs until you are willing to train them.

Spoiled
June 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM
I dont want to keep it on the leash for the walk. I take him to a park so that he can run and do the stuff a dog does. They need some freedom.

So you don't want to keep her on the leash while walking, but yet when she eats the poop you'll kill her for it. They need freedom, but not unless they know the limits. Don't let her off leash unless you have her under control.

SOUTHERNPHILLY
June 28th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Thanks,

Sam
PUT HIM DOWN??? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?? YOU DON'T NEED AN ANIMAL!! I AM SURE SOMEONE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIM!! AN ANIMAL IS NOT A THING BUT A LIVING, BREATHING CREATURE THAT FEELS LOVE,PAIN AND HAS A LIFE JUST LIKE A HUMAN BEING!! IT'S A SHAME THAT GOD'S CREATURES GET INTO THE HANDS OF IDIOTS!!

SOUTHERNPHILLY
June 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I had a problem with my dog eating cat poop.. but not other dog poop..

My vet told me my dog did this because cat poop tastes sweet to dogs :o
MY DOG'S HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THE AWESOME TASTE OF CAT POOP!! WHEN I CATCH THEM IT'S LIKE I HAVE TAKEN AWAY THEIR FEAST FOR THE DAY!!

glasslass
June 28th, 2004, 08:33 PM
"Fancy Feast" for doggies! Yum! :D

WOODY
June 28th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Sammy King, I not in agreement the Golden should be put down simply because it is doing what comes naturally to many dogs. On the other hand there are many dog owners who should most likely receive the same punishment you are considering giving your dog.
You refer to "it" in your post when referring to the dog (a lot of love in that statement) and one of the simple and easist ways to control poop eating and rolling is to keep him on a leash and train him - which apparently is way too much trouble for you. You want the dog to do doggie things as you state. Well friend, he is- problem is you only want him to do the doggie things you think he should do.
I hope you don't put the dog down and pray you don't get another dog which may run the risk of doing something you disapprove of and have it's life shortened by your own selfish, lazy motives.
You have stated your goal "I will get rid of him, how remains to be seen."
Jeez- how do some people get old enough to own an animal and fail to grow up in the process??????
You are one bad piece of work. :mad:

theplainsjane
June 28th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Where do you live? I'll take the golden and "it" can eat all the poop "it" wants.

I had Ellie out on a horse farm a month or two ago and she was so excited by all the poop that she couldn't decide whether to eat it or roll in it first. Teach your dog to swim and then it will rarely need a real "bath." Ellie gets a dip just about everyday. I put her in the bathtub occasionally so that she's used to it, but I can't remember her ever really needing it.

Luba
June 28th, 2004, 10:39 PM
How can you possibly be doing training if you still let the dog off lead when he's not learned to stop eating poop.

Goldenmom
June 29th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Where do you live? I'll take the golden and "it" can eat all the poop "it" wants.

I had Ellie out on a horse farm a month or two ago and she was so excited by all the poop that she couldn't decide whether to eat it or roll in it first. Teach your dog to swim and then it will rarely need a real "bath." Ellie gets a dip just about everyday. I put her in the bathtub occasionally so that she's used to it, but I can't remember her ever really needing it.

Sorry, that is overdoing it just a tad. I would not want my dog eating poop ever, or rolling it, IF I can help it. My dogs would eat the kitty poo before we made something to go around the litter box. It was very disgusting smelling their breath and seeing poop between their teeth. Not something I would advocate, thats for sure :confused:

This habit of her Golden can be fixed, with some training. She doesn't appear to want to do that. Make me sick to think she would get "rid" of her dog!!!!

theplainsjane
June 29th, 2004, 08:49 AM
*laughing* Cat poop is a big no-no for Ellie and she's almost reliable to stay away from it. Horse poop is...totally different and she's not around it that much. So if we're out and there's water, she can roll. Everybody needs a vacation now and then. :)

Goldenmom
June 29th, 2004, 09:16 AM
*laughing* Cat poop is a big no-no for Ellie and she's almost reliable to stay away from it. Horse poop is...totally different and she's not around it that much. So if we're out and there's water, she can roll. Everybody needs a vacation now and then. :)

Agreed!!!! My newly adopted Golden found a dead bird the other day. I could not get her away from rolling it for nothing! I finally had to bribe her. She was just groomed and I kept saying "no, no, you smell too good to do that" Oops, too late!

Heather

sammiec
June 29th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Seems kind trolly.. I'm on a troll kick today!!! Kill your dog for rolling in poop, interesting idea?!? So, I will kill my cat for scratching the couch, and I should put down my puppy for rolling in poop too, oh and cuz she does occassionally stick her head in the litter box too - heck, while I'm at it I might as well just put down my man for smoking - this will solve all my problems, I should have thought of this before..... :D

Spoiled
June 29th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I seriously think that some owners should be put down instead of the dog.

Goldenmom
June 29th, 2004, 10:15 AM
You cannot imagine how my heart is breaking over this one. As a Golden lover, and an owner of 3, I cannot fathom this. I would take that dog in a heartbeat, believe me. Where are you located Sammyking?

I hate to think of what the dog goes through when it does this, as the owner obviously is not pleased with it.

Heather and her 3 Golden girls

theplainsjane
June 29th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Yes, I would seriously consider taking it too. I've been considering adopting a dog and a golden is my first choice, although I'm not picky about breed when it comes right down to it. Just want a nice dog that's big and energetic enough to roll around in the yard with Ellie.

Lucky Rescue
June 29th, 2004, 10:27 AM
So, I will kill my cat for scratching the couch

You would be sadly surprised at how many people do this.:(

sammiec
June 29th, 2004, 10:43 AM
It's definately a heart wrenching topic!! I was completely sarcastic with my post, but I'm sure many of you caught that. :p

I know that some people put there animals down for these reasons, which I find pitiful reason... these poor animals suffer for human error and ignorance everyday.

marko
June 29th, 2004, 12:06 PM
EXTRACT from
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?threadid=58

Hi GL,

The reason he does this is usually due to behaviour habits. I would almost guarantee that he has not yet been neutered or was neutered as an adult dog rather than a puppy. He is being territorial and relishing in strange dogs' poop/urine or may be trying to remove any evidence of another dog's scent marking territory where he is being walked.

It is not usually dangerous but is a disgusting habit and the thought of him then 'kissing' or licking you is not quite as appealing.... for obvious reasons. The danger that may be posed occasionally is that he is susceptible to picking up parasites or bacteria that may cause illness carried by the other dogs.

I have seen it or heard of this condition from some of my clients -- usually unneutered males or as indicated before, neutered later in life when territorial habits have already set in.

The cure? Start by neutering if you already haven't done so. Secondly you will need some professional help of an obedience trainer who can show properly how to negatively reinforce this behaviour and positively reinforce leaving this alone. Thirdly you would need to discuss this carefully with your Veterinarian whether this is a behaviour issue that may benefit from some behaviour medications available for dogs.

The term of eating poop is called coprophagia but is most commonly reported when dogs eat their own poop. In this case a product called Forbid can be added to the food, but as indicated, you will need to gain some professional advice on the best course for your dog.

Good Luck,

Martin Slome DVM