Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Relatively cheap but Good Dog Supplies?

onster
April 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
As most of u know Im going to Egypt soon *yabadabadoooo* lol

but anyway I am planning to take some stuff over with me as I will have a lot of baggage space for the Society of Protecting Animal Rights in Egypt. As pets are considered a luxory there most if not all animal things are imported with heavy taxes and cost an arm and a leg. The government does not help animals and its answer to soaring populations of cats/dogs is poison and/or shooting and so the shelter runs solely on donations.

They rescue a lot of puppies who's moms were run over/ poisoned :sad: as well as a lot of cats from the street. You can check out ther webpage at http://www.sparealife.org/ if you want to read more but...well you may feel physically ill at some of the abuse cases. Very graphic pictures.

Anyyyyyyywaaay so cat stuff I know where to get and I have a lot of stuff my spoiled kitties just dont want anymore. Since I have experience I know what 'cheapish' things are just as good as the expensive kinds. I'm trying to be price sensitive so i can get the most amount of things yet I dont want to get things that wont last, u know?

But for dogs I have no clue. Anyone have any reccomendations? Know of a big sale coming up (Kitchener/ Waterloo)? They need even the most basic things like leashes, collars etc. Toys too, anything really.

badger
April 19th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Are you taking medication? Is there any limit on what you can bring?
I wonder if a vet would contribute at least some topical meds. I remember half the stray dogs in India had mange. I don't know what the treatment is.
Meds for parasites would be good too. Panacur liquid is a good and doesn't need refrigeration (although in that heat, maybe). Antibiotics? Those dollar store plastic balls with the bell inside are a huge hit with my cats. Brushes? They must need absolutely everything.
So kind of you to help. Is it safe to send packages? Maybe you could let us know what they need and we could follow up with some care packages.

onster
April 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Hi badger :)

Thanks for all your insight, i thought they would need meds but then I didnt think you could just buy all this excess medicine? (I only get it when prescribed by vet and from vet :shrug:)

Maybe my best course of action would be to e-mail them and see what they need the most but really they need absolutely everything. There are many local vets in cairo, they even have their own team that volunteer their time so its not skill they lack but funds.

Also simple things are just ridiculously hard to get. My brother has a cat in the resort town of sharm el sheikh and there is only one kind of litter to get (an imported italian kind, clay not clumping), only one kind of food (whiskas) and even that runs out sometimes!!! he couldnt even get him a proper halter/ collar. There are pet stores in cairo with supplies but again super expensive. So even when you have the funds (my brother has a good job ) getting pet things can be hard enough. They loaded up when they came here.

You can't really send care packages and they actually ask you not to. The thing is all mail is opened and say you send them something for $50, they maybe have to pay $200 to claim it and so they just will leave it at the post office. Aggrevating. The best option is always luggage space with people and even then it is risky as if you take tooo much stuff and they open your bags at customes you are taxed heavily ( the thinking is it cant all be personal items, you must be trying to sell) :yell:!!

However, i will have someone waiting for me at the airport who will whisk me through (ahhh connections, gotta love them :D) so its a great opportunity to load up. I will sacrafice clothing space :) (excuse to go on shopping spree there) hehe.

I just cheked their site it says:

For donations of food, medicine, supplies, animal traveling crates, microchips, and other items:
Please contact Amina Abaza, amina@sparealife.org, to discuss what SPARE needs most at that particular time.

I guess its best to email then and then return and ask for suggestions where to get the stuff :D I wonder if my vet will donate..... I thought of asking the pet valu owner I always go to to give me a discount on the stuff I buy for them :shrug:

onster
April 19th, 2008, 07:19 PM
her reply:

Thank you for your email, do you really want to buy all these things forour dogs and cats? So this summer will be Christmas for them !!
Yes please we need toys for the poor cats ( we can't afford buying toys ) we buy priorities like dry food , food , vaccines, medicines , pay salaries and rent of land and building.
The cats LOVE toys and don't have many , so please buy some or donate to our 47 cats , you will be so happy when you will see them thrilled from your presents.
Medicine, toys , treats , Elizabethan collars are MuCH needed in SPARE.
You are most welcome to come and volunteer, we need animal lovers to come to our shelter to give love and care to dogs and cats and especially to socialize some of them , most of them have been abused and need to regain confidence in human beings.
Thank you so much and waiting for you in summer.
Amina

onster
April 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I cant wait to go and help out so questions:

* where can I get elizabethan collars? Vet only? I'll donate bunduk's little one from one he was neutered but I would want more. Are all doggy elizabethan collars those huge hard plastic things? (bunduks was kind of flexible) as I'm wondering how I will put that in luggage :confused:

*Cat toys I am on it. 47 cats OMG. Where can I buy cat toys in bulk?!?! Holy. They must be stretched to the max ( i understand 47 may not be a large number here in canada but in egypt with so little support...u can imagine. Also very little get adopted, ppl like pure breds). Reccomendations? (the dollar store isnt always the most cost effective...ie, bigger packet somewhere else but for slightly more than dollar). Mice for sure...and balls with bells.

*Medicine..ask my vet for help? Do they get samples like doctors do?

*Treats. Dog treat ideas? what kind (something universally liked)?

* Cat treats I just give them whiskas (their junk food)...i guess HUGE mega packs?

katherine93
April 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I have never seen a dog that doesnt like milk bones.. of course you would need different varieties. Milkbones for small dogs..There are some for mediam doggies and ones for large doggies.. You should get some rawhide chews for the development of puppies teeth and stuff... I also suggest pedigree dog food! it isnt that pricy and it is very good quality. you should get flea collars. If your going to get bones for them to chew, make sure you get small mediam and large bones, Because if you feed a large dog small or medaim bones they could choke. I'm not really an experianced person to talk to but i know enough:P lol GOOD luck !!

Chris21711
April 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM
That is great onster. When are you going, I'll see what I can put together and maybe I could send you a package before you leave. Let me know. :)

badger
April 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM
My vet gives out wonderful plastic elizabethan collars with all the tabs and notches built in, they could lie flat in the bottom of a suitcase. They must cost next to nothing, maybe the vet could give you a deal if you explain who they're for.
I've seen cat balls with bells at pet supply places, four for 99cents, also those plastic wands with a stretchy string and something at the end, a ball or a bunch of feathers, my cats love those. Also the crinkly metallic balls, very noisy.
Do they have enough blankies? Because the dollar store carries thin fleece blankets in a good size, easy to wash. One of those in any old box makes an excellent bed. Cats loove fleece.

onster
April 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks Katherine for ure ideas :) I dont think I will take food food - that is one of their bases that they cover there. It bascially everything else but the bare necessities that they need. Milkbones sound good!

Chris, I just changed my booking yesterday for July 1 (instead of June 1 :sad:, as my brother is having his tonsels removed and then will come with me).

If anyone wants, they can make a direct donation to SPARE using paypall or transfer, its all on their webpage. If you extra toys/ treats or things that you want to send you can definatey PM me and ill give u my address :) I think I can get a reasonable amount of stuff buying things here and there until July. :thumbs up but of course any help would be appreciated :) Since my brother and mom are coming with me too i can stuff their suitases too :evil:

I dont know about blankets (if they have enough) but that's a great suggestion! Would it be too hot 4 fleece though ( i equate fleece with winter, so cozy)?

I'm gonna head out to this surplus store on Monday and see what htey have, also talk to the pet valu person. :thumbs up

:goodvibes:

onster
April 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
badger I think u are talking about the same E collars bunduk had. the plastic one with notches....u deal with stray cats too right badger? Or feral ones? Do you often need E-collars for cats? (they do spay/neuter release)...I'm asking cuz i dont want to get them a whole bunch of cat ones when they arent needed, many people thought it was odd bunduk (a cat) wore one after being neutered. :shrug:

My cats are getting vaccinated next week...I hope my vet helps out :goodvibes:

onster
April 20th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I also have a 10% off coupon for petcetera valid until end of the month :thumbs up

rainbow
April 21st, 2008, 01:57 AM
Kongs are about the best dog toy there is but they are expensive. I emailed the company to ask if they would be willing to help out. I will let you know what they say. :o

onster
April 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM
Funny that u mention that rainbow, I always ponder right b4 I got bed (lol) and thought omg! kongs! i forgot kongs!

lol

Yes, they are kind of expensive (I bought a puppy kong for bunduk in hopes that he'd use it and a gift kong for my friend's eskie) so I would only be able to get a few kongs, but I'll definately get them a few. IT would be great if the kong company would help out, thanks sooo much rainbow! :grouphug:

A question though...these are what the majority of their dogs look like ("balady" dogs), would you say they are medium sized?

Yes, I know those are a lot of dogs :sad: Not even all of them. :sad: ...theyre in the playing arena ...

onster
April 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
since bunduk has started to get a lot of votes on pet idol ( Thanks guys!! I also put a link on my facebook account for friends to vote) I also thought of something, if he wins I will use the 200/150 dollar retail value completely towards SPARE :thumbs up I love their motto..SPARE, spare a life.

I'm also going to enter Bunduk into the petcetera pet of the month contest. You write a little about them and include a picture and if they win pet of the month you get 100 dollar for in store use :thumbs up

I'm going to get mo (mr.popular) to ask his friends to vote for Bunduk and also try to get the cutest picture of Bunduk. Does any picture strike anyone? Maybe the dryer one? hmmm i dont have many cute pics, its usually what he is doing that is cute :laughing:

onster
April 21st, 2008, 08:41 AM
BTw, if everyone thinks its better to get more expensive things then kongs but get less of them (rather than other toys) I may just do that. It's just I wont be able to get enough, but thats arlight its better than nothing.

I just know with cats they find the cheapest things most amusing :p

But i guess things need to be well made to withstand dog chewing? :shrug::confused:

badger
April 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM
What a gang of sweethearts. They look so similar, and alot like Indian bazaar dogs.

onster
April 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM
yes they really are sweethearts. I think byrd will attest to this too, she made friends with some balady stray dogs when she was in egypt. They are very loyal and very healthy, live a long time. Unfortunately, even though owning pets is now a fad in egypt among the wealthy, its prestige to get pure breds. Nobody is interested in these 'street' dogs...those that get adopted usually go to the states/germany.

Here are some pictures of the kitties too, some of them are just so beautiful:

hehehe i love the one walking over the guy's back

onster
April 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
These two sweeties are new to the shelter too

This is Kronba and Dahab. Kronba was found in a trash bin...can you believe that? Someone consciously decided to throw away a kitten in a trash can!! Dahab was abandoned by her mother and brought in by a young village girl.

SPARE continues to rescue kittens from unspeakable horrors, and they continue to come into the shelter in droves. We cannot refuse any animal that has suffered.

Kronba and Dahab are currently being fostered in Amina's home. She says that Kronba cannot believe her eyes when she is bottle fed or cared for. Dahab on the other hand, just loves to be cuddled all the time!
These animals deserve a good life.

Disguisitng what some people do eh :sad:

rainbow
April 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
WOW lots of different coloured kitties and they're all so pretty. :lovestruck: The doggies are gorgeous too :lovestruck: ....I would say most of them are medium size. :)

I got a reply from Kong today and they are sending me coupons. I was trying to get freebies out of them and they didn't say if the coupons were for free kongs or if they were for $ off. She also didn't say how many she is sending. You will have to pm me your address so I can forward them to you when I get them. I hope they're good ones. :D

onster
April 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM
awwwww thank u so much rainbow!!!

i couldnt help myself and went on a shopping spree today and bought 3 kongs :D. But now i can get more..more moooore :evil:

hahaha awwwww thank u :grouphug:

Im gonna take pics for u with the doggies and their ranbow kongs :D

U too chris, ill take pics of the doggies/kitties for u :D

onster
April 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM
the one to the right of the guy's knee in the last pic...the grey/black one has such an interesting pattern eh? :cloud9:

aslan
April 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Onster, if you have a dollarama around you, they are great for pet stuff, toys,collars, leashes, treats. This is so great of you to do for the little overseas fuzzbutts.

onster
April 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
thanks for the suggestion aslan, i do have a dollerama around, just never looked at the pet isle :thumbs up

btw its this board that inspired me to do something when i went back to egypt :) so thank u all :angel::grouphug: