Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

introducing lola & poppy (international jetsetters!)

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 09:59 AM
so day 2 of them meeting and they can see each other through the mesh... basically poppy wants out the bathroom and lola is hissing for short spells at her when she wants... other times she ignores her....

to me this is a goodsign....

any one know what steps to do next?!

ancientgirl
April 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've introduced my current indoor gang to each other face to face after about a week of keeping them separated. But they were all fairly young. Vlad and Oskana only about 2 and 3 months old, and Maks and Kiska's introductions to Vlad and Oksana went pretty well. I don't have a whole lot of experience, not like others here so I'm sure they will give you some good advice.

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
well poppy just stares at lola while she makes noise.... im letting poppy out and lola just hisses if she gets into her personal space.... they were both under the bed .... (of all paces) lola hissed poppy moved away... lola is sleeping in the bedroom... poppy is on the seat asleep

i think they will learn to tolerate each other.

i will put her back in the bathroom tonight....

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
she has Prednisone and im not sure what for but i cant get her to take it ive tried hiding it, opening her mouth (ah no luck!).... crushing it...

but shes getting upset... so i dont know what she has it for.. if its an emergency

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM
so 24 hours later... poppy is comfy as anything at home and lola is sitting watching her and hissing every now and then (basically if she gets too close)... i will keep poppy in the bathroom at night for a week or so and when im out of the apartment...

lola is basically remembering to hiss whenever shes not cleaning herself or eating... they are in the same room i suppose that is good start?! :frustrated:

chico2
April 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Duttypaws,it sounds to me like they will be ok,no serious fighting yet:cat:
My Chico still hisses at Vinnie,if Vinnie gets too close,otherwise they accept each other.
Vinnie just steps back,as if he was saying"what the heck was that for":laughing:
Keeping them seperated when you are not there is a good idea,otherwise I would let them be,they obviously have already smelled each other.
You know we have to have pics,ok:cat::cat:

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 04:46 PM
well i have pics of lola up i will add poppy her feet amaze me (shes polydactyl) (they are both asleep now on their claimed chairs!) yay!

hopefully this will work click the cat for a slideshow!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/adz595/th_P4190057.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/adz595/?action=view&current=ba89664d.pbw)

ancientgirl
April 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Great slide show! They're both cuties!

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM
y thankyou they have called a truce both asleep in the same room on their own chairs... phew!

Frenchy
April 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM
wow things are going well ! :thumbs up

What I did when I got Paddington was : he was kept in another bedroom and I would let him out 20 minutes the first day , little longer the second and so on for a week. After a week he had full access to the house.

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 06:17 PM
well shes out and about lola is watching her... while she rolls on the litter tray catcher mat thing... odd cat...

but i will put her away tonight.. i just felt so bad with her watching me in the toilet and mewing...

ancientgirl
April 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I think as long as they are keeping their distance and you are there then things will probably start to work itself out. I hope so, since I think they will eventually have lots of fun together.:D

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM
i cant get her to take her medication (i dont know what it is but im assuming 2 weeks of 5mg of Prednisone is a pain killer for her after her polyp removal) ... will have to try again tomorrow. Looks like poppy had enough she put herself back into her "saferoom"... i will leve her and close the door when i go to bed...

Winston
April 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Duttypaws from what inunderstand its not really good to miss too many doses..but if you want to try pill pockets they will probably work. They cost about 7.00 for 20 of them..My girl liked them for a few days until she got smart and found the pill..Sounds like things are going well for Lola and Poppy...They are both so cute! Thank you for taking them both in! So whats Poppy's story? most of us know about Lola...

Also if things get tense with the two of them get some baby powder..rub it on your hands and then wipe both kitties down with it...this way they both smell the same...sounds crazy but it works!!

Look forward to hearing more about your new girl!

Cindy

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 07:52 PM
poppy is from the animal rescue network. She was handed in from someone who found her... she was there for 4 years. thats all i really know....

winston what would the medication be for?

Winston
April 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
My guess would be urinary issue or some type of infection. Maybe like you said for the polyp. Here is a definition from the web

Prednisone is a synthetic corticosteroid used for many conditions in both human and veterinary medicine. Its anti-inflammatory activity is approximately four times that of hydrocortisone. Corticosteroids are extremely effective anti-inflammatory drugs because they affect the inflammatory process at so many different levels. Prednisone is rapidly converted to prednisolone in the liver and in most instances, these drugs are considered to be roughly equivalent. Corticosteroids have strong beneficial effects but a definite potential to cause negative side effects if abused. Prednisone may be given by injection, orally or topically.

Just google it for cats..theres lots of info...Some things I do know is that it makes them drink more water than normal and more frequent urination. I have a friend that her dog takes it and he has issues with being moody while on it. Did they not tell you what it was for?

Sounds like Poppy will do just fine if she spent 4 yrs in rescue! Thank god for people like you!

Cindy

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 08:30 PM
no but i have emailed to ask because shes only been here 24 hours and me trying to get her mouth open is upsetting and scaring her.. (i tried the pill treat things today and she didnt like them!)

i see it can be given by injection if she doesn ttake tomorrow i will go to the vet on monday and explain the situation.

Winston
April 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
It really depends on what it is for...If she is not behaving like she is sick?? I forgot to mention I think it is used for many things . My moms cat has something called Rodent Lip and hse gives him predisone daily. Your in a tough spot cause she is adjusting to a home and another kitty..What I have done in the past is get them in my lap on the back and then use one hand to open the mouth and the other to put the pill in as far back as it can go...then close the mouth and tap the nose! sometimes it works.

Or if you could break it up really small and put it in some wet food she will likely not notice if it is small.

Cindy

chico2
April 20th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Duttypaws,I have to pill my Rocky twice daily,luckily all my cats eat canned food(wellness no grain)and Rocky has Hyper T,so he eats very well.
I mash his pill in a teaspoon of food,make sure there are no little bits visible,totally mash it,usually adding a little water and sit with him until he laps it all up,then he gets the rest of his food.
He was on antibiotics a while back and it came in a capsule form,which was a lot easier to get him to swallow since it has no bad taste,but it took two people to literally throw it in to his mouth and keep his mouth closed until he swallowed.
Of course Poppy is also new to your home,which would make it even more stressful for her.
I am surprised the rescue did not give you more info on her,but hopefully she will not have to take the meds for very long.
Otherwise I think you are doing very well,it could be because both kitties are used to be with other cats:cat:

duttypaws
April 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM
well she licked "half" of her medication but im starting to think she doesnt like the cat food flavour :frustrated: (yes cats become divas when they enter my home) as Lola isnt eating it either.... the problem with wet food and medication is i cant leave it out cos lola tends to eat too....

they have obviously agreed to ignore each other.... as they walk about like the other is invisible.

lola still watches her but i think its incase she come too close to her!

She is out and about this morning and Lola is sniffing the bathroom, her blankets etc.... she just stays near me (when did I become property!)

I am going to go post all the photos in the photo section! :)

growler~GateKeeper
April 20th, 2008, 08:11 PM
she has Prednisone and im not sure what for but i cant get her to take it ive tried hiding it, opening her mouth (ah no luck!).... crushing it...

Try this and be prepared for her claws to come up to pull your hand away, don't let go of her & ignore the claws :D
*bring her into the kitchen sit her on the floor facing cupboards or a wall
*crouch behind her facing the same direction make sure your legs are on either side of her leaving no room for her to escape
*hold the pill between your first finger & thumb
*with the other hand grab her head from the top holding the sides of her top jaw
*use the middle or fourth finger on the hand with the pill to pry open her mouth
*using your first finger slide the pill along the roof of her mouth as far down as you can without making her gag
*hold her mouth closed & gently rub her throat or blow on her nose till she's swallowed
*tell her she's a good girl, pet her & give a treat :D

duttypaws
April 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
i've tried it all she just wont take it
i got one in her mouth tonight and she threw up :frustrated:
Shes not sure of me as it is... so im the big bag owner who fights the pills...

the shelter said they are not antibiotics and are procedure after a polyp operation.... (they think they are for pain)

ancientgirl
April 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM
I've seen at my vet's office they have this little tool that is for giving pills. Maybe that will work. Or can you ask them if you can crush the pill up in her food? I know there are some medications that can't be crushed, but it this isn't one of them it might work.

duttypaws
April 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I've seen at my vet's office they have this little tool that is for giving pills. Maybe that will work. Or can you ask them if you can crush the pill up in her food? I know there are some medications that can't be crushed, but it this isn't one of them it might work.

well i ended up taking her to the vet as she was getting her microchip and rabies shot for flying... and i explained to the vet i cant give her the pill, she said there werent needed but would be better if she took them... when i think i was home dry she noticed poppys ear (the one where the polyp was removed a week or so ago) was infected (and boy was it infected the yellow that came out bless her) SO i had to give her antibiotics ... she showed me how to hold her mouth etc and how to use the pill shooter, so i got a pill shooter its the coolest contraption in the world... and cant help shouting goal when i get it at the back of her throat (yes im mature!) She didnt like the pill pockets so i have a bag of these now... the girls both like to flick them around....

a week later and i woke to find them both sleeping on my bed (apart) but within 10 feet of each other... we had the most feeble mini boxing match yesterday but there has been no hisses all day today and they even both slept on the chairs round the dining table (close to each other).... so all seems calm on the western front!

ancientgirl
April 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Oh cool! Yeah, I've seen them use that tool and made a mental note that if I ever need to give mine a pill, to get one of those.

My girls have these little wrestling matches. Mainly it's Oksana going after Kiska, and Kiska standing up for herself. No hissing, which is good. But they do now and then give each other a little lick on the head or face now and then. So maybe your girls will get to that point soon.

duttypaws
April 26th, 2008, 09:05 PM
i hope so

we have 7 months before we have to move to a house with 2 more cats! (and a dog).... (my mother cant wait :yell::laughing:) she actually went to order a GIANT cat tree thing for the 4 girls and is getting all their things for them to have in my bedroom when we move there.... bed and trays and their new toys (as i cant fly with all their cat nip things)

growler~GateKeeper
April 27th, 2008, 01:58 AM
:eeew: puss infections are so gross :yuck:

Glad you got her in to have it looked @ this way it will be all cleared up by the time you fly :thumbs up

so i got a pill shooter its the coolest contraption in the world... and cant help shouting goal when i get it at the back of her throat (yes im mature!) She didnt like the pill pockets so i have a bag of these now... the girls both like to flick them around....

.... so all seems calm on the western front!

Glad the pill shooter is working great for you :highfive:

:laughing: too funny (goal! heehee)

You could always donate the pill pockets to the nearest shelter & they could just use them as treats :D

uuhhhhh.....shouldn't that be Eastern front :laughing:

:goodvibes: for a quick infection clearing & no repeats

chico2
April 27th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Duttypaws,it sounds to me that your 2 girls will get along reasonably in no time.
Next time I need to pill any of my cats,I'll get one of those thingys too,Rocky happily laps up his food with the pill in it so far.
2 more cats and 1 dog,will be interesting though:cat::dog:

duttypaws
April 27th, 2008, 07:24 AM
You could always donate the pill pockets to the nearest shelter & they could just use them as treats :D

uuhhhhh.....shouldn't that be Eastern front :laughing:

:goodvibes: for a quick infection clearing & no repeats

lol i forgot I live in the west of scotland... east in canada!! lol