Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to treat baldness caused by earmites?

chinakitten
April 19th, 2008, 05:40 AM
My kitten, Sesame, has earmites and I am treating her with Pyrenthrins drops to get rid of them, however, she is still scratching around her ears often, especially after I give her the drops. I just noticed that her bald spots in front of her ears is getting worse despite the drops. I assume the bald spots are from scratching. Anything I can do to prevent her from scratching those spots and making it worse? Also, will her fur grow back after the ear mites are gone? Anthing else I need to treat her so she will get better faster?

I live in China, so my vet is not very good and often makes mistakes. Anyone can help me with this question? I"m really worried! Thanks!

Winston
April 19th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Chinakitten so sorry your kitty is going through this....I have heard here in Canada that they can dip the cat in a solution and it helps with mites. But I really dont know what it is called..The baldness is likely from the sratching...The only thing I can think of to stop the scratching might be to put a cone on the cat...the ones that go around their head after surgury so they wont lick...

Would love to see a picture of Sesame!

Cindy

Dr Lee
April 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I agree with Winston that the scratching is secondary to the itching. The medication will kill the mites but I would recommend concurrent use of an ear cleaner to help get rid of the dead mites, mite eggs, mite debris, blood and left over medication from the ear canal. This can do wonders to help with the itching.

I don't know what type of pet stores are available in China, so you might want to use a combination of white vinegar and water (1 to 1 ratio) as an ear cleaner.

If there is still excess itching, perhaps you could post a picture and I can give you further advice if needed. Good luck.:pawprint:

chinakitten
April 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'm am cleaning her ears too, but I guess it just takes time to dislodge all the stuff in there. Her bald spots are two right above each eye (in front of her ears) and two right behind her ears. They are pretty much symmetrical. The ones in front of her ears and above the eyes are the ones that are most worrisome, the ones behind her ears are not noticeable unless you dig through her fur.

Do you know if her hair will grow back?? She's so cute, I would be so sad if she stays with these bald spots. :pray:

Sorry I don't have a picture now, but will post one later! She is a little blue british shorthair! She's the sweetest thing ever.

chinakitten
April 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM
One other question- I'm trying to clean her ear canal, but it looks like there is a lot of debris deep inside. She automatically shakes her head every time I put in the solution and I don't want to dig in there with a q-tip because I don't want to hurt her eardrum, so I'm not sure if I'm able to get all the debris out. Will the solution eventually loosen and get out all the debris over time?