Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Prednisone- when is a side effect bad enough to take to the vet

michelehart
April 19th, 2008, 01:53 AM
My dog is on Prednisone for a spinal injury. She did real well almost immidiatly on this drug. SHe did drink a ton and pee all over the house. Not to mention the diareah explosions at 2 o'clock in the morning. But when I came home from work tonight she was very bloated. Like huge. She seamed fine other then that. Went for a little pee walk and everything. Should I take her to the Vet? Has this happend to anyone? I know that after long time use this drug can cause panciratitis.

growler~GateKeeper
April 19th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I have no experience w/ Pred so can't give any experience but I would call the ER vet & ask for advice, they can tell you if a bloated look is common :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
April 19th, 2008, 02:09 AM
What breed/what size is she & was she exercised 2 hours before/after eating?

The stomach should be given time to settle before/after eating for around 2 hours before being allowed rough play or any exercise, this is vital in medium-large-giant breeds or you could be dealing with Bloat - the stomach twisting on itself which is life threatening

michelehart
April 19th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I have no experience w/ Pred so can't give any experience but I would call the ER vet & ask for advice, they can tell you if a bloated look is common :goodvibes:
I've never heard of such a thing, is that like a 24/7 option? I just read about bloat and my dog is beagel size and did not excersice much at all lately. Becuase of her injury we keep her as calm as we can.

growler~GateKeeper
April 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Most large cities have an Emergency Vet or a 24 hour clinic. They are open 24/7 everyday for emergency services.

A quick search on your area & here are a couple of ER Vets you can call to see what they think of the bloating if that may be related to the Pred

Central Veterinary Emergency‎ 3550 S Jason St, Englewood, CO, United States‎ - (303) 874-7387

Northside Emergency Pet Clinic‎ 945 W 124th Ave, Denver, CO, United States‎ - (303) 252-7722

Animal Critical Care & Emergency Services Inc‎ - 1597 Wadsworth Blvd, Lakewood, CO, United States‎ - (303) 239-1200

growler~GateKeeper
April 19th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Even closer in Colorado Springs, it's always good to know where the closest ER dr is just in case

Animal Emergency Care Center Inc‎ 3775 Airport Rd, Colorado Springs, CO, United States‎ - (719) 578-9300

Banfield Emergency and Critical Pet Care‎ 5956 Stetson Hills Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO, United States‎ - (719) 473-0482

Animal Emergency Care Center 5520 N Nevada Ave, Colorado Springs, CO, United States‎ - (719) 260-7141

hazelrunpack
April 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM
We've had dogs on prednisone (and prednisolone) a number of times and the excessive peeing is pretty normal for a side-effect, but we've never had one bloat. Definitely call a vet this weekend and see if your dog needs to be seen.

How long has she been on the drug? Long-term use of steroids have a number of nasty side-effects. Has the vet discussed eventually weaning her off the steroids onto something else?

SnowDancer
April 19th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Now - or sooner actually, would be the time to call your vet - or Emergency Vet.