Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bull Terrier mom - attacks puppies

KathyB
June 25th, 2004, 03:29 PM
I'm actually asking this question on behalf of a friend. She has a 3 year old bull terrier that had 3 puppies on June 8 (her first litter). Two puppies were born just fine, but they had to do a caesarian for the 3rd Mom was doing just wonderful with the puppies, but suddenly when they were about 12 days old, she grabbed one by the head - they had to pry her jaw apart to free the puppy. Puppy was taken to the vet and fortunately ok. Later the same day she grabbed another puppy and almost tore her ear off. She was rushed to the vet and sewn up. This puppy isn't doing so well and mom is only around the puppies now when they need to be fed. Does anybody have any idea what would cause a mother dog to behave this way? Is there such a thing as post partum depression in dogs?

Luba
June 25th, 2004, 03:31 PM
What did the vet say about the behaviour?

Lucky Rescue
June 25th, 2004, 03:33 PM
This is an aberration in any animal mother.. Was this dog from tested lines bred for good health and temperament? Was she well socialized and left with her own mother until at least 8 or 10 weeks old?

Hope the puppies will be o.k. and that this bitch won't be bred again.

KathyB
June 25th, 2004, 03:42 PM
This dog has actually has been shown and she was bred with a former Canadian champion - so definitely good bloodlines. She has also been brought up with her mother who is still part of the family. Even before this happened, the owners had only planned to breed her once. I know this dog myself and she is normally one of the nicest, and best behaved dogs I've ever seen. I was absolutely shocked to hear this had happened and of course her owners have been devastated by this.

KathyB
June 25th, 2004, 03:47 PM
The vet said that the dog seemed to be totally stressed, although there doesn't seem to be any real reasons to support that theory. I wondered if maybe it was jealousy because as you know people pay lots of attention to the puppies and not so much to the mom - but even so, that is pretty extreme behaviour for a dog that is usually so well behaved.

Lucky Rescue
June 25th, 2004, 04:02 PM
That's a real shame. But these things do happen out of the blue - god knows many human mothers do it too.:(

AM04
June 25th, 2004, 07:11 PM
She may be stressed because it's her first litter, and ppl may be bothering her while trying to raise them. Does she have her own private area to feed, etc?

Karin
June 25th, 2004, 08:23 PM
This has been happened with some bitches after a c-section. Natural birthing is always better, the process helps with bonding and instincts.
It is always advised to moniter any new mom that has had a c-section until the pups are weaned.