Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

our dirty fuzzy horses enjoy spring

FancyAppy
April 18th, 2008, 10:36 PM
thank you for meeting our goats and donkeys. Here are some pics of our horses enjoying spring grass. I hate to post pics before their coats shed out but they were so cute tonite...even with all the mud and fuzzt hair. Pics will be on 3 posts. Thanks for meeting our furry family.

Frenchy
April 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM
omg your property is huge !!!! :cloud9:

And the horses :lovestruck: so the white stuff on the bum is shedding fur ?

FancyAppy
April 18th, 2008, 10:41 PM
3 more dirty-horses photos.Our baby is the chestnut appy with the white blanket.His name is Rockystar. he is two. the leopard appy is Auggie.He is my first horse. Milan is the Quarter horse chestnut. FancyGirl is the roan appy.

FancyAppy
April 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Espree is our old man. He is the tall sorrel quarter horse . he is nearly 25.

Frenchy
April 18th, 2008, 10:48 PM
ohhh I wish I could kiss their big noses ! I use to ride when I was a kid , it's been a long time and I miss being around horses :sad:

FancyAppy
April 18th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Woops...here is Espree. This pic of him was last fall. the far away pic is now.He is a very pretty horse normally but yuck are they filthy right now. they will look like diff horses when they shed out and are bathed...they kinda stink right now too...can't wait for that first spring bath...they really enjoy being hosed off.

FancyAppy
April 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Frenchy. That is so neat you rode when you were younger. Did you ride western? Do any showing? I imagine horses still really appeal to you. Once horses become part of you you never forget them. I hope you can own another some day.
The noses are so very soft. I love to kiss them too.
I had horses before college then did not have them again till much, much later....It is exhilarating to come home from work and see them grazing here.
Our property is only 43 acres. the camera shots make it look bigger I think but it is very private.
The white on Rockystar's back is his hair color. He is an Appaloosa and that is a coloration trait of Appys. Fancygirl is a snowflake Appaloosa..her white is speckled and Auggie is a Leopard Appalosa which is basicly polka dots. here is a closer view of Auggies dots.

hazelrunpack
April 18th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I love fuzzy horses. :lovestruck: Thanks for sharing pics of your lovely herd, FancyAppy!

I've never seen a Leopard Appaloosa before! Auggie is just beautiful...well, they all are, but Auggie reminds me of my blue belton setters, so he'll always have a special place in hazel's heart! :flirt: :D

Frenchy
April 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I love Auggie :cloud9:

Yes it was western , I always wanted the same horse : Jackie was her name. :cloud9: If Jackie was gone with someone else , I would make my sister and her BF wait for Jackie to come back. :laughing: Then one day I was looking for her and the owner told me she was "gone to the steak" , my sister had to explain it to me , I was so sad but mostly mad at the owner. Then they gave me a poney because all the horses were taken. That day , I refused to ride. :sad:

I wish I had a picture of Jackie :o

14+kitties
April 18th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Beautiful horses! Isn't it great living in the country? I don't think I could live in a city or town again.

chico2
April 20th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Fancy,your horses are just a dream,beautiful,beautiful creatures..I'd also love to snuggle up to their velvety soft noses:lovestruck:
They must just love the nicer weather.

Lukka'sma
April 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'm packing my bags right now. The goats stole my heart, then those adorable donkeys, now the horses! I even have the livestock guardian dog (Lukka) to protect all the animals from predators. I should be arriving in about 12 hours:D

FancyAppy
April 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
14 kitties
Yes living in the country is wonderful. I grew up on a farm but spent most of my adult years working/living in cities 'till now here we are again...we always come back to the things we love the most and give us peace.

Everyone here is excited about grass. Hoofed furries are glad for some thing besides hay to chomp, Kitties are ready to hunt and Patches is goofy doggy rolling in all the fresh horse poop she can find. I have towels and shampoo by the back door just for her. I have never seen a dog love the more earthy side of country living so much! haha..She is in a constant state of BAD SMELL...but we love her anyway..and lots of poop is part of country life with horses.

FancyAppy
April 20th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Hazel, Frenchy

Hazel,
Auggie is a small foundation bred Registered Appy. Hi is a tri-color Leopard meaning his spots are both black and brown on a white body. Appys are very smart, agile and gentle. Auggie is a trail horse and we have been together for about 6 years now. He is a bit stocky and not very elegant but he the best trail horse I could ask for.Thank you for your nice comments about him.

Frenchy
...your recollections of Jackie touched my heart. I wish you had a pic of her too. Like you, I would have refused the pony too. I understand exactly how you felt.

FancyAppy
April 20th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Chico...thank you so much for the nice remarks . My hubby and I really like to see a well fed healthy animal that is living fully a happy life.
Now as for us, I live on iced coffee and Triscuits, Hubby eats chocolate and peanut butter. The only nutrition we get if from the dust we inhale from horse and goat feed.
I think I will put in a garden this year with lots of wonderful fresh vegetables, .....I think the horses and goats will really love 'em...hahaha
Here is the baby and Milan play fighting .
Thank you again for your comments.

FancyAppy
April 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Lukka...I love it. Bring your sweet Lukka .Although these lazy animals would actually have to go somewhere for him to protect them. They just hang around looking for us and waiting for snacks. they are not spoiled are they???????
I love Lukka's name and I imagine he must be wonderful to watch .
Thanks for visiting my furry babies.

ancientgirl
April 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
LOL, make some room for a Latin girl from Florida and her gang of furries! What a beautiful group of horses you have. Wow! I love the picture of Espree. I think that's him, the grouping where he's in the distance, but the last picture. What a beautiful horse! But they are all beautiful.

I think you are the luckiest person in the world. I really do. You have adorable mini goats, mini donkeys, and horses, along with the usual furry bunch. :D

want4rain
April 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Frenchy, the horse with the white stuff on the rump is called a blanket, i believe as long as they have the spotted rump they are considered an appaloosa, if im not mistaken!!! its been many many many years since mymom explained all that to me. :)

as a kid, my special horse was Juicy. i always made sure i was ON her and not BEHIND her. :laughing: she was just spunky enough for a 10-14 year old but not so spunky i couldnt handle her. when she would get irritated with me (i liked this trail and she didnt) she would try to rub me off on trees. *sigh* she knew i always had granny smith apples... not red or yellow... green tart granny smith ones. i think pears were her fave tho.

thanks for sharing your hayburners with us!!! they are *quite* handsome....if a bit fuzzy. :D

-ashley

rainbow
April 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Your horses are absolutely gorgeous :lovestruck: :lovestruck: and I really love the last pic. :cloud9:

Frenchy
April 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Your horses are absolutely gorgeous :lovestruck: :lovestruck: and I really love the last pic. :cloud9:

Looks like a beer commercial :cloud9:

I love the ones where they're playing :D one of them is even roorrooing , wait , I mean , hiiii hiiiii :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
April 20th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Love the last pic......who's the Dun? love that colouring :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2008, 12:03 AM
Hazel,
Auggie is a small foundation bred Registered Appy. Hi is a tri-color Leopard meaning his spots are both black and brown on a white body. Appys are very smart, agile and gentle. Auggie is a trail horse and we have been together for about 6 years now. He is a bit stocky and not very elegant but he the best trail horse I could ask for.Thank you for your nice comments about him.

I thought my eyes were playing tricks! I've never heard of a tri-colored horse before! We have 3 tricolored belton dogs...the closest thing you'll ever get to appaloosa doggies. :D

Auggie would fit right into the Pack! :cloud9:

Love4himies
April 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM
Your horses are soooo beautiful and you are so lucky to own some.

Lise
April 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Your baby is marked a lot like Happy.The beautiful versatile Appy, a colour for everyone.Your guys really are beautiful.Happy is not as strikingly marked as your guys.Liz events and hunts with him.They do really well at everything except dressage.They both love speed and jumping anything in front of them.

shane 123
April 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM
Your horses are just gorgeous. Love those Appy's, they do make great trail horses. All those pictures brought back so many memories of my riding days.
My barn stands empty as of 2 yrs ago, used to have 4 horses before that.
I enjoyed looking at your pictures and your property , horses look so good when they have room to graze. Hope you have them for a long time to come...even your 25 yr old looks in great shape.

Gail P
April 21st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Great pics. If it's any consolation, your horses don't look all that dirty or hairy to me. They are positively svelte compared to mine right now, and they've actually got dry ground. I've got mud, mud mud and very hairy beasts. I should post some pics of my guys too, but I don't want to hijack your thread.

FancyAppy
April 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Ancient...LOL yes there is room for you too.Thank you for your nice comments. Espree is a very kind old guy and although he is a bit saggy , he still is a really pretty horse in the summer. He is very arthritic and slow moving but he is still head horse. He bosses the rest around with just a look and flattening his ears.Here is a pic of him last year.

FancyAppy
April 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
want4rain. , love4himies

want4rain, yes you have a good memory about Appy colors. Our baby has a nice blanket but appys can roan-out or turn more and more white with age. He is only two so I hope he keeps his blanket .I have been rubbed off by the fruit trees too. Juicy had a sweet tooth it sounds like.
Love4himies..ty so much. we do feel very lucky to be here with our furries.

FancyAppy
April 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Rainbow, Frenchy, growler
Thank you for the comments. Santana is a buckskin Quaterhorse. We rescued him 6 years ago. He was starved, lame and scared. He was so undernourished that his hooves were malformed and his hair was falling out.
We found him a good home as a companion horse this summer. We had hoped to place him sooner but it is hard to find a home for a horse with ongoing health issues and is not rideable. I know he had a good home with us, we saved his life and now he has another great home....and having said all that I can tell you both that I really miss him alot.
That is the worst thing about rescuing...falling in love and letting go.
I guess that is why we only adopted out 4 animals last year. We are too picky about where they go I guess.

FancyAppy
April 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hazelrun
Yes Auggie would fit right in with your tri color dogs.Wouldn't that be a sight to see them all together?
Auggie is the smartest yet sweetest horse . He is short and a little fat but he can climb steep hillsides and go for hours...he can also wear a sweatshirt on his head and roll his eyes at us when he is disgusted with our antics...he is a real clown.

FancyAppy
April 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Lise, love your pics of your Appy. You are so correct. Appys can do anything and have sweet quiet temperments.
I love your pics. You have a very pretty horse with great athletic abilities. Isn't Happy the perfect name for an Appaloosa?
Here are more pics of our baby appy who does have a blanket sililar to your Happy.

ancientgirl
April 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
FA, Espree is just magnificent. :lovestruck:

FancyAppy
April 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Shane..Gail
Thank you both for your comments.
Shane
I am sorry your barn is empty. I hope there will be a horse or two in your future. It sounds like you miss them and enjoyed having them. Thank you for you nice comments about our horses.
Gail
Just visited your horses and they are gorgeous...I have always loved Arabs. Another smart versatile breed of horse that more people are discovering.
You have some really great pics on your thread.

FancyAppy
April 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Here are a few pics of Fancygirl our only mare.She is a foundation Appaloosa. Very stocky and broad.
She has been with us 4 years. She is a trail horse, very well mannered and kind.Her only vice is that she gets pretty fat in the summer.
When she sheds out she is a chocolate roan with "Frost" or "Snowflakes". In Appy speak that means her Appy spots are more speckles than polka dots.
If she wasn't so fat she would be very elegant as she has a dish shaped muzzle and pretty legs...but she is a big eater and she gets very rotund...like a pumpkin on legs.

chico2
April 23rd, 2008, 07:40 AM
F-A,she is pleasantly plump not fat,don't blame a girl for putting on a few pounds in the winter:laughing:
I know all about that,but they'll drop off in the summer.
She is a beauty anyway:lovestruck:

shane 123
April 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Fancy Appy you post such great pictures of your property and your horses I feel like I'm standing right there with your horses. Thanks for sharing....and get in all the riding you can while you still can.

loopoo
April 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM
what beautiful horses all of them: great pics lovestruck:

MissDorsie
April 26th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Beautiful horses! My sister has some but won't let anyone ride them since one of the grandkids got thrown off. Personally, the only horse I have ever ridden was a Shetland pony we had when we were kids. We rode bareback.

FancyAppy
May 9th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Shane 123, thank you so much.
Everyone here is excited about spring grass. Hoofed furries are glad for something besides hay to chomp, Kitties are ready to hunt and Patches is goofy doggy rolling in all the fresh horse poop she can find. I have towels and shampoo by the back door just for her. I have never seen a dog love the more earthy side of country living so much! haha..She is in a constant state of BAD SMELL...but we love her anyway..and lots of poop is part of country life with horses.

ancientgirl
May 9th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Beautiful pictures as always. What kind of trees are those? Are those cherry blossoms or something? LOL, I know nothing about trees, but the flowers and horses together make a wonderful picture.

FancyAppy
May 9th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Chico, loopoo..thank you so much.
We joke that our horses are fat but after some of them arriving here so skinny it is a beautiful thing to see them blossom and come back to enjoying life. I love to fatten them up. That is my thing...food, nutrition, health. I see dull coats become glossy, strong firm hoof grow where rotted hoof was before.I see them change and it is very gratifying .
Here are some spring pics at our farm...the grass is just starting to turn green and the horses are delighted. We have one rescue horse and one adopted baby horse and three riding horses. We found homes for two horses last year and they are settled in thier new homes just fine. We had a health setback with the older horse this winter so our plans to find him a new home may not happen. He will probably stay here.
Our horses are, Espree-the old horse, Rockystar, the baby, and our three riding horses Milan, Auggie and Fancygirl.

Chris21711
May 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Such magestic animals, keep those pictures coming FancyAppy they are beautiful :lovestruck:

FancyAppy
May 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM
MissDorsie. thank you for your comments. We rode bareback as kids too. but now I ride with everything but a seat belt....helmet, sturdy boots, long jeans. boy do we get cautious as we get older. I remember as a child throwing baler twine on my horses face for a bridle and hopping on bare back in my shorts and flipflop shoes.haha

FancyAppy
May 9th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Ancient..Thank you for asking about the trees. They are wild dogwood and crabapple. The pics do not do them justice. There are probably a hundred of them scattered over the farm and although the bloom cycle is short it is very intense, quite stunning. It is my favorite sign of spring. But they only last a couple weeks at most, then the trees turn bright green with leaves and the landcsape changes again.Here are some pics at the prettiest.

FancyAppy
May 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Chris thank you so much. I can tell you are a horse lover as well. Do you ride or own horses?Sometimes we go for a while with out even riding ours. We get alot of enjoyment out of watching them, interacting with them, brushing and feeding them snacks. Sometimes I feel most at peace just doing these little things.Here are a few more pics of Spring horses.

Chris21711
May 9th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Don't ride anymore, used to when I was younger. A friend of mine that lives on the same road has a few and I go and nuzzle with them when I'm there, they like nuzzling and so do I.:lovestruck:

FancyAppy
May 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Chris some of this best times I have had with my horses did not involve riding. Nuzzeling is pure fun and we do that alot around here. This is Milan our biggest nuzzler. He is a lover, is happiest around us , standing still to have his ears and forehead rubbed.