Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Could You Get Another Dog? After this?

Longblades
April 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Funny the post titled "Why Own a Dog?" is on this morning. Not to hijack that one, I'll start another. Puppy-boy and I had visit with a neighbour while on our walk this morning. Puppy-boy was much admired and I asked whether neighbour was going to get one now that he is retired and has more time. He thinks probably not.

He and his wife had two Akitas many years ago. The male died of old age but the female was attacked in her own (secure with fence) backyard by three of another neighbour's dogs, all one owner for the three. The female was 12, partially blind and deaf, but otherwise healthy. She was badly injured and could not be saved. Other neighbours tried to intervene but were not in time to prevent serious wounds.

The owners did not pursue with charges, felt they could not go through the agony of reliving the experience that a court case would require of them and they were not personally able to identify the culprits. I cannot blame the owners for their actions at the time, or now. How could you get another dog with that kind of memory? I don't think I could.

Chris21711
April 18th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I would have to, cannot imagine being without a dog. Some years ago we were with only one dog for a few months, the house was off kilter. I think that everyone should do what they feel is right for them.

mastifflover
April 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I surely would. That is an awful experience to live through. I have been without Buddy for almost 2 months and I cannot stand it without the pitter patter of big foot wandering around or the silence at night no snoring. So my new baby is coming on Monday. Maybe if they met the right dog they may change their minds.

Frenchy
April 18th, 2008, 11:07 AM
but the female was attacked in her own (secure with fence) backyard by three of another neighbour's dogs, all one owner for the three. The female was 12, partially blind and deaf, but otherwise healthy. She was badly injured and could not be saved. Other neighbours tried to intervene but were not in time to prevent serious wounds.

omg how horrible ! :sad: I perfectly understand how they feel , as for me , I don't know , I can't picture my house without dogs .....

maybe they don't have closure because they did not pursue the lawsuit against the other dogs owner ? I would have !

rainbow
April 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
OMG....what a sad story :sad: and my sincere condolences to your neighbours. :grouphug: :candle:

I'm sure I would get another. I said I wouldn't after my last two died of cancer but after I finished grieving I just couldn't stand the emptiness in my life. Perhaps, once they've finished grieving, they will feel the same.

CyberKitten
April 18th, 2008, 03:53 PM
OMH, I agree! How horrid. I think I would have gone ahead and allowed the crown to press charges. (It really is not up to him, how did he get away with not going to trial or do you mean civil charges?). It would have been tough to go through but might have prevented others from ensuring their pets did not do the same thing. Still, if they were up in age, it might have been too much!

My heart goes out to him.

aslan
April 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM
i'm with Frenchy i would have pressed charges. But i would definately at some point get another dog. I wouldn't want that to be my last memory of owning a pet. This is sad not only for the people and their loss, but they obviously are loving people and their is some furball out their who needs them.

clm
April 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I would still have to get another dog. I have been heartbroken after losing both my previous dogs, and as much as I loved both of them, living without a dog in the house is just not something I can do. Death is a part of living, and for me to go on, I need to have another dog to care for.

Cindy

joeysmama
April 19th, 2008, 09:44 AM
We were the most inexperienced of dog owners when we got Joey. So for the rest of my life I will feel guilty that we tried so many things to save Joey when we should have helped to end his suffering weeks before we did. We suffered every minute right along with himand swore we would never allow ourselves to love an animal that much ever again.

We would never ever ever, under any circumstances, EVER get another dog.

That lasted 11 days !!!!! Enter Cooper to fill the house with craziness and turn the adults into simpering idiots ready to do anything just to have the pleasure of his wacy company.

ancientgirl
April 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
What a terrible experience. I would have pressed charges against the people. Those dogs were their responsibility and they obviously didn't keep them in their own yard or trained properly.

I can only relate from the perspective of being a cat owner. I've had two cats killed by a dog living next door. It's rough, and it's something you just never forget. But we get so much from living with these guys, be they cats or dogs. I couldn't part with the happiness they give me.

joeysmama
April 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I can understand why they didn't press charges. Probably wayyy too upsetting for them to have to go through the legalities and have to talk about it etc. But it's too bad that the owners of the other dogs weren't held accountable.

Not to thread jack but this is kind of related. My sweetheart of an uncle passed away. His two girls were in their 20's recently married, not living home so his wife was widowed with just the doggie--the adored family pet. I don't know what he was exactly. A cute mix from what I could tell.

She starts dating a guy whose kids gave him a high energy lab from a back yard breeder. He would not train his dog in any way. The worst dog owner EVER !!! And the dog became aggressive towards the little dog. Very territorial at my aunt's house. They had to put Springy behind a gate in his own house, to keep him away from the new dog who was allowed the run of the place.

One night they came home to find Springy mauled. The gate was down and he was bitten and bleeding. She had to take him to the emergency room. Boyfriend (:loser:) said sorry he couldn't come with cuz it was late. Well they couldn't save him and had to have him pts. It was 3 days before :loser: called and he didn't even bother to ask how the dog was.

And you know what he got as his come-uppance?

SHE MARRIED HIM !!!! :wall:

Some people have cr@* for brains !!

ancientgirl
April 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I can't believe she married that man!

joeysmama
April 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Ancient Girl--none of us could believe it !! How could someone be so uncaring about the suffering that poor dog went through ?? Wouldn't that tell you all you would need to know about his character. What a creep !!!

duttypaws
April 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM
what a sad story.. but i think its personal emotions.

We had a Wire-Haired Pointer who literally flipped out after her first heat.. she had a phantom pregnancy we did what we were told to do (she was our only female dog!) but she went slightly "off par" and eventually attacked my sister leaving her badly scarred on her leg (she was pouring a drink in the kitchen at the time)... she also big my mothers leg when she was in the kitchen

we called a breeder (not who we bought her off) and she said the dog wasnt mentally healthy... she was returned to her breeder and from what i know many of the litter were..

but anyway back on track... i dont think id want my last memory of owning dogs to be a sad one and yes id push to charge the idiot who cant control his 3 dogs!

ancientgirl
April 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Ancient Girl--none of us could believe it !! How could someone be so uncaring about the suffering that poor dog went through ?? Wouldn't that tell you all you would need to know about his character. What a creep !!!

I'd run from that guy like the devil from a cross.:loser:

Longblades
April 21st, 2008, 01:40 PM
Just to clear some things up. This happened about 15 years ago if memory serves me correctly. I think the owners had to at least report the attack on their dog before any agency could act on it. Whether they did or not I'm not sure. It seems very upsetting for them to talk about it even now. I remember I suggested I hoped they did, as a help to the rest of us in our village. I had heard others speak of those three dogs and, amazingly, had the extreme good luck to never even see them myself. I did once observe the foul-mouthed owner of the three when he was acting drunk and behaving terribly himself on the way home from a children's ball game in our village park. The whole bunch of them, man and dogs, moved away and peace has reigned since, at least dog wise.

woof99
April 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM
I would never be able to be without a dog, they bring me such happiness and remind me daily to laugh, breathe and enjoy the little things.
I recently just adopted a 3rd dog, because my other girls are 14 and 11 yrs old, which means I will be losing them in the next few years and so I couldn't go down to just one dog. They are a lot of work and not for everyone, but for me they are a vital to my well being.