Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

might be a dumb cat queston!

danaty
April 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM
When a male cat if fixed, does he still have the balls at his behind or do they get taken off?
I have a stray male that just showed up at my house and I have a new young female cat that showed up in Dec.I believe he's had at her, but I don't think she's pregnant. He still has his balls, but with her not being pregnant, I just wondered if maybe he was fixed. Hope someone can help!

krdahmer
April 18th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Most vets now do leave the knickers. I have one with nothing (was castrated) and two with 'balls'. Is there any way you could trap these two and get them s/n before there are a million kittens roaming around with them?

Love4himies
April 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Neutering consists of removing the testicles. Normally a neutered male cat will have tiny "peanuts", and un-neutered will be quite distinguishable. Jasper was neutered at about 5 years old (so he was mature) and it took about a month for them to shrink to neutered size.

A male who has been neutered at a mature age (meaning probably not a virgin) will continue to try to mount a female in heat even after neutering, but will dismount quite quickly as his body does not have the hormones to react. I was told by my vet this was because the cat has learned "what to do" when a female smells and acts as she does while in heat.

Love4himies
April 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Can you take your female in to get spayed immediately?