Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog got bitten - vet said he may get a sodema??

dogmelissa
April 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I know I have the wrong word, but I just can't remember what she said it was called...

Cube got bitten by another dog today and off we went to the vet to have him checked. He'll live, didn't need stitches but one wound was pretty deep so she put him on antibiotics.

However, she said he may develop a (something)... a big bump that's a result of swelling, internal bleeding & infection that gets localized in one area. It may rupture or need a drain and I can try to prevent it by putting a hot compress on the wound. But what the heck is that called???? Sodema? Sodoma? I'm sure it started with an S and ended in "ma" but the middle is a mystery to me.

Anyone know the word I'm looking for? I'd like to look it up and see if I can find anymore information on it so I can react appropriately if it does happen.

Thanks!!
Melissa

hazelrunpack
April 17th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Seroma, maybe? Hematoma?

I hope Cube recovers 100% without any further intervention! :grouphug: Must've been scary!

bendyfoot
April 18th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Oedema or seroma?

Both basically refer to fluid-related swelling beneath the skin...

Warm compresses can be helpful for sure for these, but you don't want it to persist...fluid under the skin provides a nice enviroment for bacteria to grow and cause infection. So keep a close eye on it, as a drain or drainage (i.e. using a syringe) might be needed.

rainbow
April 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I agree......how is Cube today? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Dr Lee
April 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Just figured I would throw in some definitions.

Plasma = blood - cells = plasma.

Serum = blood - cells - clotting factors = serum. (after a bruise, if there is bleeding under the skin, a clot forms which uses up the clotting factors. Therefore what is left over is serum. (no one really hears of a plasmoma)

Seroma = accumulation of serum in an organ or body tissue.

Hematoma = accumulation of blood in an organ or body tissue. (variant is haematoma).

Edema = serous fluid accumulation in cells or tissue spaces. This term is a bit more generalized but often it is assumed that the serous fluid is diffusely spread out. Whereas a seroma usually indicates some degree of pooling of the fluid. If there is a seroma, there is almost always surrounding edema. Note: oedema is a variant of edema and less commonly used in veterinary medicine.

Also if we veterinarians ever forget to speak in English to you, please remind us. There are no dumb questions. And often I find that when people tell me I am speaking in 'big doctor' words, I have already toned it down and was not trying to speak 'over someone'. Sometimes too I have had problems when I didn't use the 'big doctor' words - so we may feel like a catch 22.

Hope that helps!:pawprint:

dogmelissa
April 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks Dr Lee!!

Very strange - I know I posted an update to this, yet I can't find it. Weird.

Anyhow, it wasn't that the vet was using "big doctor" words with me, just with all the emotion I was feeling, I forgot what word she'd used. I'm sure it was seroma.

Update on him - he is doing well. Being a total suck, mostly. Normally he follows me room to room but the last few days he just gets settled in a comfy spot and pretty much refuses to get out of it. He was alone in my office (upstairs in my house) when I was downstairs watching TV - probably for over an hour. Very unlike him. Doesn't seem to be in too much pain, still eating and drinking well and happy to go out for his potty breaks. He just seems to want to sleep more & his wounds seem to be itching - which I'm taking as a good sign.

Still no signs of swelling of any kind, so I think we're going to be ok on the seroma, but I will still keep an eye on it. Couldn't find much info on how to prevent them, so I'm trying the hot pack that the vet suggested - even though he doesn't like it - and otherwise just letting him rest and take it easy.

Thanks for the info everyone!!
I took some pictures of his wounds on Friday, so I'll see if I can post them later - I'm not at home right now.

Thanks again,
Melissa