Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rubbing alcohol

dodecaphonie
April 17th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Hello,

I have a question about rubbing alcohol. My cat got a blood test tonight and before taking some blood the technician desinfected the area with what I believe must be isopropyl alcohol ( if you know what they really use, please inform me ! ) She took the blood from the area near her throat and she kind of soaked the area with the alcohol. Of course when I left, my cat likced the area furiously ! I was just wondering if that can be toxic for her ? I hope not. It's been 3 hours already and she does not show any sign of discomfort, but I was worried. :sad:

thank you for your help

Frenchy
April 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I would say there's nothing to worry about , it's not enough to make your cat sick. :cat:

TeriM
April 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I agree with Frenchy. Hope your cat has good results for whatever the blood test was for :fingerscr.

dodecaphonie
April 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM
thank you !

They were checking for liver and kidney function. Everything came back normal :thumbs up

She is not eating this morning, may be due to yesterday's stress. I am checking on that. Hopefully tonight she will be more energic !

rainbow
April 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Glad the liver and kidney tests came back normal. :thumbs up I hope she is eating later today. :fingerscr

Keep us posted. :goodvibes:

Dr Lee
April 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
the technician desinfected the area with what I believe must be isopropyl alcohol ( if you know what they really use, please inform me ! ) She took the blood from the area near her throat and she kind of soaked the area with the alcohol.

Yes it is. This is the most common method of blood collection - use of isopropyl alcohol to wet down the fur and to obtain blood from the jugular vein. This is our method of collection of blood for most dogs, cats, ferrets, etc... :pawprint:

RUSTYcat
April 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hello,

I have a question about rubbing alcohol. My cat got a blood test tonight and before taking some blood the technician desinfected the area with what I believe must be isopropyl alcohol ( if you know what they really use, please inform me ! ) She took the blood from the area near her throat and she kind of soaked the area with the alcohol. Of course when I left, my cat likced the area furiously ! I was just wondering if that can be toxic for her ? I hope not. It's been 3 hours already and she does not show any sign of discomfort, but I was worried. :sad:

thank you for your help

...This is the most common method of blood collection - use of isopropyl alcohol to wet down the fur and to obtain blood from the jugular vein. This is our method of collection...

First, know that cats despise the smell of alcohol (so, one more stressor is being introduced into what, for many cats, is an already stressful experience). Next, know that using alcohol will result in the site of the injection - the prick point - stinging. Third, that stinging will result in the behaviour your cat exhibited. Fourth, alcohol will dry out the skin - remove the natural oils from the area.

I wonder if, with a little more thought put into all this, we might just want to reconsider our protocols......asking, is the use of alcohol for taking blood and giving injections really necessary?

Dr Lee
April 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I wonder if, with a little more thought put into all this, we might just want to reconsider our protocols......asking, is the use of alcohol for taking blood and giving injections really necessary?

What would you suggest?

RUSTYcat
April 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM
What would you suggest?

Before I would suggest anything...I did ask, "is the use of alcohol...really necessary?"