Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Swallowed Lamb Bone

kylben
April 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hi all,

We had lamb chops for dinner, and we're in the habit of giving our 80 lb lab/shar-pei mix some leftovers, including the bones. (I know, I just reread the "foods they shouldn't eat" post and hadn't realized that cooked bones are a no-no.) Anyway, there was a piece of bone in the scraps we gave him, it was round, about an inch or less in diameter and maybe 3/4 in thick. I expected to see him chewing it, but I looked back up and realized he must have swallowed it whole.

Could this cause any problems, on either end? What should I watch for? He seems normal, and ate the rest of his dinner just fine.

And now I know, no more cooked bones.

--Kyle

TeriM
April 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
It sounds small enough that it will likely pass. If you are worried I would maybe feed some rice or oatmeal to help it along. Watch for regular bowel movements and if something seems off then get to your vet ASAP!

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I agree.....it will likely pass right through him. But if he starts showing any discomfort, lethargy, etc. then get him to the vet right away. Keep an eye on him for the next couple of days and check his poops to ensure it passes.

kylben
April 17th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Teri and rainbow,

Thanks. I figure it'll pass, but it looked a bit big for that, so I'm a little worried. I sure wouldn't want to pass it, and I'm bigger than he is. On the other hand, I couldn't have swallowed it either. Don't dogs actually break down bones in their stomachs? Or is that only raw bones?

I will keep an eye on him, he's chipper and active so far.

--Kyle

rainbow
April 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
How is your dog doing today? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Hazmat
April 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Dogs have eaten bones for thousands of years. I would not get too worked up about it. Have you seen a post about cooked bones vs raw? I am sorta curiouse about that statement. Even with other type bones, it is most unlikely that he/she will be harmed. Just keep an eye on him/her. it is 99.9% Lkely that your dog will be fine.
And you are right, if the dog can swallow it it will probably be mostly digested before it even leaves his butt.

kylben
April 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM
rainbow,

He's doing great, thanks for asking.

Hazmat,

You're right, I probably got worried over nothing. It's just that I expected he'd have to chew the bone, and was kind of shocked when he just downed it whole - it looked too big for that, and he's always chewed even smallish bones before.

In the FAQ board there's a sticky thread about what foods dogs and cats should not eat. The issue with cooked bones is that they are more likely to splinter and cause internal damage. I was worried that maybe a cooked bone would be harder to digest, and harder to pass because it is not soft(ish) like a raw bone.

--Kyle

rainbow
April 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Glad to hear that he is okay. :thumbs up I don't think we've ever seen pics of your boy .....would love to see some in the Photo Forum. :)

kylben
April 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM
rainbow,

I posted a couple of pictures when we first got him last fall.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46675

I'll try to get some more and post them here. It's a small price to pay for all the good advice ;). It's hard to get good ones, though, he's so dark black there has to be a lot of light. Even with a flash, I've never been able to get a good pic of him inside.

--Kyle

rainbow
April 21st, 2008, 01:07 AM
Ooooops....I missed that thread. :o

He definitely looks more lab than shar-pei and I also love his eyes. :cloud9: Looking forward to seeing more pics in the photo forum. :thumbs up