Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sheeba getting spayed today

CearaQC
April 17th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Well Sheeba is getting spayed today. I have to take her in at 8:20 this morning.

She's never been separated from us (from birth) and I'm worried she will be freaking out being in a cage after she wakes up because they want to keep her overnight.

clm
April 17th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hugs to Sheeba for her big day. :grouphug:

I'm sure she'll be fine at the vets overnight. Better they keep her there and keep her quiet.

Cindy

Love4himies
April 17th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I am sure Sheeba will be just fine. She is such a cutie, that she will be distracted from all the attention she will be getting from the vet staff that she may not even notice. Sending some :goodvibes: that all goes well.

CearaQC
April 17th, 2008, 07:29 AM
She does love people. During the day I'm fine with her being there, but all alone at night?

*sigh*

She's used to being glued to me at night. lol

Love4himies
April 17th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I know it's hard to be seperated and worried, but it really is best for Sheeba.

clm
April 17th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I know, it's hard to have them away from you for the night. Only 1 sleep and you'll have her back tomorrow.

Cindy

chico2
April 17th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Ceara,I think mom will have a harder time than Sheeba,she will probably sleep the whole time and before you know it,it will be tomorrow morning.

CearaQC
April 17th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess I'm just a little too PMS. hehe

badger
April 17th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Why are they keeping her overnight? Unless something goes wrong - which it won't - or she has other health issues, my feeling is that they are better off at home, tucked up in their own bed. Plus at my vet's clinic there is no overnight staff. Coco came home at the end of the day - the clinic closes at 8 so she was there until then - and I think was much better for it. The overnight stay is included in the price so it wasn't a money issue, just a loneliness issue :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
April 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I'm sure she'll do just fine. And if your vet's office is anything like mine, she'll have plenty of people fussing over her so no worries.

I've had all mine stay overnight when they had their S/N. Vlad and Oksana were the first and I felt bad leaving them, but knowing they would be looked after made me feel better, since I just wasn't sure what to do if anything developed after the surgery.

CearaQC
April 17th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Yeah they said to keep overnight. She was not happy being taken away and whined the whole time. Probably didn't help that another dog was howling in a cage in the back making a big noise.

It's so unfair, they hit you with emotional black mail to buy extra stuff. IV fluids, catheter and extra pain meds. If I chose all that the total spay would be $300 or more.

I said yes to pain meds though. Does anyone else choose those extras?

They said we could call around 3 pm to check on her.

I cried the whole way home. lol

ancientgirl
April 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
My boys cost me around $90+ and the girls about $250+. I remember when I had Vlad and Oksana done, I visited them and Oksana had a little IV. I wasn't charged a lot extra. I did get the pain meds for them the next day though and gave it to them for about 2 or 3 days after. But that's all I did. I didn't want them to be in pain so I had no issue getting that either.

Did they say you could come visit her later? I visited my little ones and it made me feel better. I was heartbroken though when I went home. I looked back and saw them looking at me :sad:. But I knew I would feel a lot better knowing they were being taken care of. I knew nothing about taking care of a kitty after a S/N and just didn't want to take a chance. When I picked them up the next day I was so happy and they were happy too.:D

badger
April 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Pain meds, IV, etc. were never even suggested. But they exhibited no unusual behaviour either (hiding, not eating) so maybe I've just been lucky. It will be a cold day in hell if a vet ever makes me feel guilty for the way I treat my animals.

ancientgirl
April 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM
My vet didn't make me feel guilty, they just suggested they might feel some discomfort. Since I made sure there was no harm in giving them the medication even if they weren't in pain, I decided to give it to them in case they were just doing a good job of hiding the fact they were in pain. :D

Love4himies
April 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I was told by a very good vet I had in Alberta, that he did not prescribe pain meds for females that were spayed because if they don't feel the pain, then they may over do an activity and do damage to their incision. They are not humans that can reason and know what they should limit when they are injured (well some humans, my DH doesn't, thinks he is invincible).

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I agree with L4H about the pain meds. I have always got the IV fluids though. We have never had to leave any of our pets at the vet overnight after a spay or neuter. I've always felt they would feel better at home in familiar surroundings too. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
April 17th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Some vets require an overnight stay for a spay because it is a more involved surgery than a neuter. It's just a precaution. Any time you have to open the abdominal wall, you run a great risk of complications. Plus an overnight stay keeps them very quiet, so that they can use the pain meds without risking the dog getting too active.

I'm convinced that none of our girls even remember they were at the vet for their spay. In humans, the general anesthesia tends to wipe out the memory for the rest of the day and into the next. I suspect it's like that with dogs, as well. So even though Sheeba will be there over night, she'll likely not remember it once you get her home.

:grouphug:

She'll do good! How long will you have to wait for a progress report? :goodvibes:

Ford Girl
April 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
:goodvibes: for you and Sheeba :goodvibes:

Dazy was in and out in about 7 hours, no take home meds. They kept her while I worked and we picked her up after. Not sure what they gave her or if they IV'd her during that time, but she didn't require an over night. It could be tho that the surgery is done later in the day and she needs recoop time, our vet does all surgery on Thursdays, maybe thats it.

Either way, she will do wonderful!! :angel:

Your real concern should be....how do you keep them quiet and unexercised for 12 days!! :eek: :evil: :laughing: Good luck with that!! LOL! ;)

phoozles
April 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I think I got ripped off a bit for Alley's spay.. They actually had me have her overnight TWICE - one the night before the surgery to monitor her, then the night of the spay, and I could pick her up the next morning.. (they have night staff)
Plus I fell for the bloodwork, IV, etc.. I just felt bad because she was sick beforehand that I didn't want anything to happen for her..
Alley's spay cost me close to $400 - and that's for a kitten! :eek: (and a :evil: no doubt!)

But she was no worse for wear - plus I think they were sorry they pushed for two nights - they made a few comments about how Alley was "interesting" and "fiesty".. but "not in a bad way" .. I think she put them through the ringer, and that kind of makes it worth it.. ;)

CearaQC
April 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Well we just phoned to check on her and they said she did great and is sleeping. We can pick her up after 10 am tomorrow.

Belle keeps looking for Sheeba and is bummed out.

Well Belle's turn is coming in June to get spayed. But she needs to lose weight first.

I tried to tell them but they didn't understand English there, that I really didn't want Sheeba to have extra meds unless she needed it but I was talking to a wall. lol So I said yes to the pain meds. She said it was something before surgery and not after, but not entirely sure what it all means because it was all in French.

I was just upset because the way it was presented, it was like I was ordering options on a new car or something. Pre surgery blood work priced at $55, IV fluids $25, catheter $55, pain meds $10, spay at $140.

Good news though - there was a petition at the counter to sign for SPCA. I'll sign it when I pick her up tomorrow.

Anesthesia doesn't wipe me out. I remember having my tonsils out and I remember everything from that day, and I had some bad complications which were not fun at all. Kept bleeding and they couldn't stop it. Not fun being wheeled around and having hoses stuck up my nose while I'm fully alert. So I don't always trust anesthesia . lol And that's why I don't do well with surgical issues of any sort, whether for human or animal.

TeriM
April 17th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Hugs for you and Sheeba :grouphug:, I'm glad the surgery went well :thumbs up.