Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone feel like writing letters today?

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2004, 09:19 AM
I realize that most of the members here are Canadian, but do any of you want to write a letter to the Governor of California? He is a famous actor after all.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger wants to repeal a state law that requires animal shelters to hold stray dogs and cats for up to six days before killing them.

Instead, there would be a three-day requirement for strays. Other animals, including birds, hamsters, potbellied pigs, rabbits, snakes and turtles, could be killed immediately.

Schwarzenegger has told the state Legislature that the changes could save local governments that operate shelters up to $14 million.

An estimated 600,000 dogs and cats are put to death each year in California, including 34,000 in Los Angeles alone.

The waiting period has caused overcrowding and forced some shelters to kill off animals simply to make room for new ones, said H.D. Palmer, a spokesman for the state Department of Finance.

"Because of space limitations, the shelters are being forced to euthanize animals who are otherwise highly adoptable immediately after the holding time," Palmer said.

Despite Schwarzenegger's huge popularity, some political observers think the proposal will meet stiff resistance.

"There is no organized constituency of cats and dogs, but certainly the pet owners of America will find this reprehensible," said Barbara O'Connor, director of the Institute for the Study of Politics and Media at California State University, Sacramento.

"Cats and dogs are like mom and apple pie," she said. "Don't mess with the pets. Most people prefer them to other people."

The 1998 law is named for former state Sen. Tom Hayden, who said the governor's proposal "will inflict heartbreak on a lot of owners and people in the animal adoption world."

Of course I have addresses for the kindly Mr. Terminator and his lovely wife. You can pm me for them as I am not sure if I am allowed to post them.

heidiho
June 25th, 2004, 09:46 AM
I just saw that on cnn,no way,i cant believe he would do that,i used to like him,not anymore,that is appaling.................

sammiec
June 25th, 2004, 09:52 AM
I would LOVE to write!!! I pm'd you for the address... Even though I'm in Canada, I'll try to help you out!!! Hey, I'll fax him too if the email gets blocked!!! LOL I love this stuff!!!
:p

Lucky Rescue
June 25th, 2004, 09:56 AM
How despicable! Arnie is turning his "Terminator" persona unto pets now? :mad:

Certainly you may post email or other addresses for public figures, Sandi.

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2004, 10:02 AM
That would make life so much easier, as I have posted this on three different forums and am trying to keep up with all of them!

First Lady Maria Shriver
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 445-2841
Fax: (916) 445-4633

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-445-4633

To send an Electronic Mail please visit:
http://www.govmail.ca.gov

Remember, try to be factual, not emotional.

heidiho
June 25th, 2004, 10:21 AM
I sent mine in.......

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2004, 10:25 AM
**PLEASE CROSS-POST/FORWARD ASAP **

In his effort to solve the budget crisis, California Governor Schwarznegger has taken a hatchet to years of laws enacted to
protect abused and abandoned animals. The result is the "behind closed doors" repeal of the Hayden bill and other pieces of humane
legislation, passed through the years. Whether an act of omission or commission, the result will be a return to the horrible pre-1998 status quo for California animal shelters if you don't act TODAY.

The two most disturbing elements of the Governor's budget are the
return of the animal holding period to only 72 hours for all animals
(stray and relinquished) and the elimination of the requirement that
shelters seek veterinary care for animals at the shelter.

Among the other policies that will be repealed if the current budget is adopted:
*The requirement that people convicted of cruelty to animals to pay for the costs of the animals' care while the issue of guilt is being determined.
*The requirement that as a condition of probation, people convicted of animal cruelty can be prevented from owning animals for three years.
*The law that made it a duty for shelters to use all currently acceptable methods of identification including microchips to
determine the lawful owner of any seized or impounded animals.
*The State's policy preference for adoption instead of killinganimals.
*The requirement that shelters allow qualified animal adoption/rescue groups to take responsibility for animals if they
pay the required fee.
*The requirement that shelters give owner-relinquished animals a chance to be adopted.

The extent of the repeal caught everyone by surprise. We have only one last chance to have these draconian measures removed from the budget. The budget conference committee meets one final time... this
weekend. They must be convinced to revisit the inclusion of the Hayden legislation as part of the budget or at least to only suspend
the fiscal provisions of the Hayden legislation until the budget crisis has passed.

Years of your work and the countless hours of hundreds of volunteers can be erased THIS WEEKEND if this repeal is allowed to occur.

Listed below is contact information for the legislators who will be meeting this weekend to approve the proposed budget. Please contact them as many times as you are able before 5pm Friday, June 25th.

THE FATE OF MILLIONS OF ANIMALS ARE RELYING ON YOUR ACTION. SEND AN
EMAIL, SEND A FAX AND MAKE A CALL. Tell them NOT TO REPEAL THE HAYDEN LAW!

QUESTIONS? Contact Rich Mc Lellan, Animal Legislative Action Network, alan1@ix.netcom.com (ix.netcom.com) OR Jennifer Fearing, United Animal Nations, jfearing@uan.org (uan.org)

Conference Committee Members

Chesbro, Wes (D) - Chair
tel: (916) 445-3375
fax: (916) 445-3375
email: senator.chesbro@sen.ca.gov (sen.ca.gov)

------------------------------------------------------------

Dede Alpert (D)
tel: (916) 445-3952
fax: (916) 327-2188
email: senator.alpert@sen.ca.gov (sen.ca.gov)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ross Johnson (R)
tel: (916) 445-4961
fax: (949) 833-0696
*doesn't use e-mail

--------------------------------------------------------------

Darrell Steinberg (D)
tel: (916) 319-2009
fax: (916) 319-2109
email: assemblymember.steinberg@assembly.ca.gov
(assembly.ca.gov)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Judy Chu (D)
tel: (916) 319-2049
fax: (916) 319-2149
*doesn't use e-mail

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Rick Keene (R)
tel: (916) 319-2003
fax: (916) 319-2103
email: assemblymember.keene@assembly.ca.gov (assembly.ca.gov)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Senate Budget Committee Staff
Keely Martin Bosler
Consultant
tel: (916) 445-5202
fax: (916) 323-8386
email: keely.bosler@sen.ca.gov (sen.ca.gov)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Assembly Budget Committee Staff
Kasey Schimke
Consultant
tel: (916) 319-2099
fax: (916) 319-2199
email:
kasey.schimke@asm.ca.gov (asm.ca.gov)

Luba
June 25th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Consider it done Sandi :D

Isn't this Bob Barker's State? I wonder what he's going to do if anything, his voice would make a difference. Ya think?

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Holy Fur Coats Batman! Is Bob Barker even alive still?

Luba
June 25th, 2004, 10:39 AM
HAHAHAH yes dear he is!! I bet if pushed he would BARK out about this! lmao

glasslass
June 25th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info and the addresses. I can't believe I haven't been aware of this happening in my own state! :mad:

Princesss04
June 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM
I have writen a letter and it is in the mail now. Thank you for letting us all help. :D

rebel24
June 25th, 2004, 02:59 PM
does anybody have the original link fron where this story came from? if so can ya post it? thankx.....

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I have a couple of different links to a couple of stories with slightly different wording.

link 1 (http://http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/9011434.htm?1c)

llink 2 (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-animals25jun25,1,3609137.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

link 3 (http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040625_445.html)

Luba
June 25th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Guess what I found.....

The DJ&T Foundation
9201 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 204
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

This is the foundation that Bob Barker started to help people get funding for spay/neuter programs.

HOWEVER writing to this address may get assistance to support this situation as well:D What u think?

Lucky Rescue
June 25th, 2004, 03:15 PM
There are many high-profile animal lovers in CA. I'm sure they will be publicly speaking out against this!

Gee, I really liked Arnie too.:(

sammiec
June 25th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I didn't really think about that LR... that's a good point... if all those celebrities put there money together they could give Arnie the money that he's after!!!! LOL

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2004, 03:43 PM
I just read a post on another forum. Seems Arnold tried to get this done without the public finding out about it and failed miserably. The local press is all over it and there are protests planned. I doubt that this will go through as is.

Thanks guys. Don't stop writing!

AM04
June 25th, 2004, 03:52 PM
I'm gunna write as well. But it's my brother's bday today, and I gotta get off to making his cake while he's gone out for dinner with a friend.

sammiec
June 25th, 2004, 03:54 PM
I emailed and faxed my letter to ALL the people on the list hehehe! Happy Friday! Enjoy the weekend!!

sammiec

chico2
June 25th, 2004, 04:33 PM
LR,I certainly hope the people of California and other states will protest this giant step backward.
I actually never did like Arnie or his wife Maria Shriver,but this is going to make him un-popular for sure...
I sent a couple of e-mails and forwarded the story to some of my animal-lover friends...
Please keep us posted of any new developments.

AM04
June 25th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Now that I've finished with the cake, I have forwarded that to over 150 ppl I know, who will also forward it along. I hope, too, that ppl will protest this and not allow it to happen.

glasslass
June 25th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I just saw Arnold on the news - he's withdrawn the whole thing re waiting period. When asked if the public outcry influenced his decision, he said his daughter brought it to his attention last night. HURRAH!!!!!!!!!!!11 :D

AM04
June 25th, 2004, 07:07 PM
My email has been sent. And I've gotten knowledge of 40 other people who have responded on my list. Thank you for posting this, and I hope all goes well. Is there anything, other than emailing, that we could do to stop this?

AM04
June 25th, 2004, 07:08 PM
That's great :D You should've seen the smile on my face, I hit submit and the page loaded, and there was your message! It hit my right in the face with the best good news I've heard in a long time :D

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2004, 07:25 PM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Read this:

link (http://www.uan.org/advocacy/hayden.html)

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2004, 07:31 PM
here it is in writing

link (http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/3462268/detail.html)

Thank you, my Canadian Friends!

chico2
June 25th, 2004, 07:45 PM
LR,I think even 6 days is a very short time for a dog/cat to try to rehome or find new homes for them...but it's great it was not made even shorter :D

Luba
June 25th, 2004, 07:49 PM
YES amazing amazing news!!

See what the public CAN do! YIPPIE!

Thank goodness for the Internet!!

melanie
June 25th, 2004, 08:21 PM
now i dont agree with arnie, but i was just wondering what everyone thinks the time period should be?? in a perfect world everything would be no kill but that will never happen. here in aus it is something like 7 days (if registered they contact you and you go and get it, they wont kill your pets or anything) and then the animals are dealt with, but some are lucky to go to non kill shelters (not many but growing in numbers). so just wondering what you think

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2004, 10:00 PM
I think that 6 or 7 days in reasonable. We can't expect them to languish forever. Rescue groups are way overcrowded though, and it often takes a couple of days to arrange for a foster home, transport, etc., to save a promising dog.

Luba
June 25th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Personally I'd think atleast a couple of weeks IMHO! A life is worth so much how can we put days on it :( it's so pathetic that this is all something that rests on human shoulders for it's human hands that have caused it!

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2004, 11:08 PM
You are so very right. But did you see the numbers they are dealing with in California!?! I believe it said that some 60,000 dogs are euthanized every year. Just in California! That is outrageous! Unless someone comes up with something better, a week is all the time they are going to get. And that is much better then 3 days.

Lucky Rescue
June 26th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Well, guess what? Arnie is really an "animal lover" and realized he made a big boo-boo, and is going to fix it. :rolleyes:

The will of the Legislature and the people of California has been upheld.

Governor Schwarzenegger just announced to the media that he made a terrible mistake proposing the repeal of the Hayden law. He said he loves animals and his daughter was of particular influence in recognizing the situation this repeal suggestion created.

PLEASE THANK Governor Schwarzenegger for recognizing the value of the Hayden legislation and tell him we look forward to working with him on legislation to protect animals in the future. You can contact the Governor here http://www.govmail.ca.gov/.

PLEASE also thank the conference committee members for their efforts to correct this error. Special thanks to Assemblymembers Koretz, Levine and Leno for showing their leadership on this issue as well.

The concerns of the animals were heard loud and clear. Please be sure your thanks are just as loud.

SOUTHERNPHILLY
June 30th, 2004, 02:09 AM
here it is in writing

link (http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/3462268/detail.html)

Thank you, my Canadian Friends!
I AM SO PROUD TO BE A HAYDEN!!!!

SOUTHERNPHILLY
June 30th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Well, guess what? Arnie is really an "animal lover" and realized he made a big boo-boo, and is going to fix it. :rolleyes:
I AM SO PROUD TO BE A HAYDEN!!

SOUTHERNPHILLY
June 30th, 2004, 02:12 AM
I realize that most of the members here are Canadian, but do any of you want to write a letter to the Governor of California? He is a famous actor after all.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger wants to repeal a state law that requires animal shelters to hold stray dogs and cats for up to six days before killing them.

Instead, there would be a three-day requirement for strays. Other animals, including birds, hamsters, potbellied pigs, rabbits, snakes and turtles, could be killed immediately.

Schwarzenegger has told the state Legislature that the changes could save local governments that operate shelters up to $14 million.

An estimated 600,000 dogs and cats are put to death each year in California, including 34,000 in Los Angeles alone.

The waiting period has caused overcrowding and forced some shelters to kill off animals simply to make room for new ones, said H.D. Palmer, a spokesman for the state Department of Finance.

"Because of space limitations, the shelters are being forced to euthanize animals who are otherwise highly adoptable immediately after the holding time," Palmer said.

Despite Schwarzenegger's huge popularity, some political observers think the proposal will meet stiff resistance.

"There is no organized constituency of cats and dogs, but certainly the pet owners of America will find this reprehensible," said Barbara O'Connor, director of the Institute for the Study of Politics and Media at California State University, Sacramento.

"Cats and dogs are like mom and apple pie," she said. "Don't mess with the pets. Most people prefer them to other people."

The 1998 law is named for former state Sen. Tom Hayden, who said the governor's proposal "will inflict heartbreak on a lot of owners and people in the animal adoption world."

Of course I have addresses for the kindly Mr. Terminator and his lovely wife. You can pm me for them as I am not sure if I am allowed to post them.
I AM SO PROUD TO BE A HAYDEN!!!

sammiec
June 30th, 2004, 06:55 AM
SOUTHERNPHILLY - you gotta STOP with the doubel and triple posting!!