Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat's not playing nice lol

Magicwildwolf69
April 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Hi all,

been a bit since i posted here so i'm catching up on everything. Just a quick question. We are having two of our cats they are brother and sister not seeming to get along lately. I think its because only one window is open at a time so they all want to look out it and it seems my biggest one doesn't want to share. He has twice now cornered his sister to the point where she hides for hours on end. We had some problems with him lately. In Febuary he attacked me sending me to the hospital. I'm working with him slowly but i remember reading something about Feli-Way. Could this possably help with some of his aggression to calm him down or maybe its beyond that type of help and we just have to keep working with him. Thanks for any feedback.

:thumbs up

Jim Hall
April 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
if they arent neutered that would be the first thing to look at its unusaul for a cat to be so aggresive do they have a feral history or something else that is triggering it

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I agree with Jim. If he's not neutered, that is most likely where a lot of his aggression coming from. Feliway has worked for many people as does Rescue Remedy. You can try one of those if your cat is already neutered. Have you done anything different in your home? Cats take a while to adapt to change, so maybe that could be part of his problem too.

Magicwildwolf69
April 17th, 2008, 04:45 AM
guess i should have given a bit of history. He is neutered. We have had him since he was 7 weeks old. He is now 3 almost 4 in July. We have done nothing different in the home. He has never shown any aggression told people or animals till he attacked me in February. We took him to the vet in February when the attacked happened and my vet thinks he has become very terrorital. I was just wondering if feli-way would help maybe calm him down without resorting to medication that the vet recommend if he does not calm down.

Love4himies
April 17th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Have you had any blood work done, just wondering if there is a medical issue going on?

chico2
April 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Magic,my Rocky behaved exactly the same way,down to attacking me.
The reason a normally wonderful sweet cat turned,was the open window,a strange cat outside.
Maybe you should not keep that particular window open:confused:
I have 2 Feliway diffusers,but for a different problem,spraying and they work great with that.
Once a cat gets in a frenzie over something that bothers him outside,he will go for the nearest victim,in your case the other kitty and you.
Good luck:thumbs up

krdahmer
April 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I got a tooth right through my hand once in exactly the same situation. My cats get very very upset when another cat is outside near our house... and they never go out, and the windows don't even have to be open! I tried to shut the screen (dumb move on my part) the last time it happened at the door between Palomine and one of the strays and thats when I got punctured. Now I know to grab the water bottle and not try to break these scuffles up myself. They still get kind of rangy, especially this time of year when everyone is letting their cats out to roam as the weather is nicer.... and my guys do turn on one another in a flash when one gets upset at the outdoor visitors. If I'm there I just yell a sharp no, and motion at them with the water bottle and that's usually enough. And if the roamers are intact, they may be spraying that particular area of your house...:shrug:

I imagine Feliway would calm him a bit too, maybe make the 'intruders' less traumatic.