Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat fell 15 feet today - what do I do?

bethany.pearl
April 16th, 2008, 05:54 PM
my cat, Hunter, fell out of my window today. it's about a 15-16 foot drop to concrete....i think he landed on a car hood first, then to the concrete where he sat meowing while raced downstairs to rescue him...

He definitely has a scrape of his upper & lower lip, it's swollen and his top lip is protruding farther than normal & if so is REALLY swollen... he is rejecting even his favorite treats. he is limping and favoring a front leg... Can cats get internal damage from a fall like this? What should I do, besides watching for abnormal behavior and other severe symptoms of damage...??? please help....:shrug:

bethany
:ca:

duttypaws
April 16th, 2008, 05:55 PM
take him to a vet...

Jim Hall
April 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
vet time yes they can suffer internal damage or a busted jaw or a broken bone or a dislocated shoulder etc etc etc find a vet or an emergency one . i know its a lot of dollars but you will both feel better for it

the gang
April 16th, 2008, 07:37 PM
well first and farmost i think you should be taking your little one to the vet asap thats a big fall, if it was a child!!!! you would be at the hosiptal now, good luck hope all works out for your kitty

Jim Hall
April 17th, 2008, 07:33 AM
how are you and kitty today? did you find a vet?

bethany.pearl
April 17th, 2008, 08:02 AM
hi - to update you on Hunter -- i did take him to the emergency room.

he's ok, no internal bleeding, no broken bones, or rupturing....he was totally in shock and i guess, so was i...they gave him a shot of morphine and other pain killers, he sat with the biggest pupils all night staring at nothing..

and now i am the proud owner of a bruised and tentative cat & $400 X-rays of his perfect little body...pretty cool.

thanks folks for being here :)
bethany
:ca::ca:

Jim Hall
April 17th, 2008, 08:13 AM
well thats good then to bad they dont dipense meds to calm down the owner eh?

bethany.pearl
April 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
haha, yeah totally - for the price i paid, they totally should include it with the invoice!

krdahmer
April 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Wow so glad this already has good news! Hope he has a speedy recovery, (and you do too!:o) :goodvibes: He's one lucky little kitty!

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Glad to hear you took Hunter to the vet and he is okay :thumbs up although likely very sore. :grouphug:

Now we would love to see pics of your lucky boy and welcome to pets.ca :cat:

danaekitty
April 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hooray for Hunter!!!:thumbs up:highfive::clap: