Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do I *have* to use steroids?

Mia101
April 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM
My dog gets yeast infections from allergies. We've controlled them but now I'm trying to prevent them.

I have her on a food that eliminates the most common allergens and that's been going well.

She ate half a loaf of bread she found in the trash (bad dog) and has been scratching for a week.

I've been using benadryl, but she keeps on and now is scratching her ears (dammit).

I have all the ear cleaners and treatments. What I'm wondering about is vet #1 said that the allergic reaction HAS to be stopped with steroids or it will jut keep on and on.

Vet #2 doesn't like to use steroids, but did the last time the scratching didn't stop.

Does anyone know? Vet # 2 will let me come pick some up, but I hate to use them.

Jim Hall
April 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
i haye em too and used to use them as little as possible with our allergic dog but sometimes you have no choice i fould if i stareded them as soon as i noticed a reaction i would need to use a lot less still better than an infection from scratching and having to do antib's

crazydays
April 17th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I think the benefits outweight the costs. It is not good for dogs to be so uncomfortable with no relief. When steroids are used appropriately short term, they are very effective. When you read the side effects of steroids, they are usually referring to long term continual use of higher dose therapy. Many of the risks are reduced with short term lower dose intermittent use.
As with any medication-this needs to be discussed with your Vet.

Dr Lee
April 17th, 2008, 09:59 AM
There is a couple of great alternatives to steroids. 1) Atopica. It is a microemulsified form of cyclosporine and has been shown to work better and with less side effects. The main side effect is not from the medication itself but from the carrying agent for the medication which is castor oil. So some pets will vomit with higher doses. The only negative to this medication is price, it does cost but as the goal is to taper from once a day to every third day - the cost also goes down. www.atopica.com is the website.

The other alternative is to see a dermatologist for skin testing and hyposensitization therapy. While initially expensive, it can be long term very affordable since you are not seeing your regular vet for secondary ear and skin infections.

There are also other things that may help - omega 3 fatty acids, anti itch sprays, other antihistamines (hydroxazine for example), food trials, etc...

Hope that helps. :pawprint:

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
My dog gets yeast infections from allergies. We've controlled them but now I'm trying to prevent them.

I have her on a food that eliminates the most common allergens and that's been going well.

She ate half a loaf of bread she found in the trash (bad dog) and has been scratching for a week.

Mia, I can't remember what you are feeding (Wellness maybe?) but is it a grain free food? Raw or grain free kibble is the best to feed for dogs with allergies. Since she ate a half loaf of bread which brought about this latest episode that seems to confirm that grains bother her.

Also, apple cider vinegar is supposed to be good as a preventative for ear infections. It was talked about here awhile ago. I'll see if I can find the thread.

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Here is the thread ......

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47036&highlight=yeast+infections+vinegar

Dr Lee
April 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM
The acetic acid in vinegar has a wonderful antimicrobial effect yet still very safe in the ear canal. FWIW the dermatologist lectures I have been to have recommended white vinegar and water at a 1:1 ratio. Apple cider vinegar would likely be the same however I know that if the ear drum has been compromised by the infection, that the white vinegar is deemed safe to cross into the middle ear. Next time I talk to a dermatologist, I will try to remember to ask about the apple cider vinegar. :pawprint:

Mia101
April 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM
I may go to grain-free. So far, the Canidae with no wheat, corn, soy, etc. seems to agree with her. The grains in it have not bothered her. (rice, I think, is the only one.

This is food trial #1.

For now, I am seeking advice on how to control the latest allergic reaction.

Whether I should try alternatives, or just go get the steroids that I know will stop her scratching.

The scratching is not excessive, no skin trauma or anything, and benadryl stops it so she is comfortable.

But it only stops it for (8) hours at a time, so I may have to do something to stop the reaction completely.