Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good leash and poo baggies advice needed

Scuba
April 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I think it was about one month ago that I introduced myself and said that I was going to go to my first orientation at the SPCA to become a volunteer dog walker. Well since then I have been to a second orientation and walked some dogs a couple of times already.

The material they have the SPCA seems pretty limited, a lot of the leashes are pretty beat up and they are all the spring loaded pin type that I don't favor. I was told that I could bring my own if I wanted to, the thing is I don't have a lot of experience in these matters. What type of leashes should I be looking at? I am thinking a nylon one would be easier to wash and maintain?

Some of the other issues are that the treats that they leave out for volunteers (to give to the canine residents) aren't really good at all, they are the multicoloured bone shaped biscuits. Plus they are just left in a big stainless steel bowl that get left out on a counter twice a day for 2-3 hours at a time. So far all the times that I have tried giving these treats (breaking off a small piece) the dogs will either ignore it totally or just mouth it and drop it. What are some good healthy tasty treats out there that are affordable?

What brand of biodegradable baggies are there? The ones they have at the shelters a just a random collection of all kinds of plastic ones. With the majority being a gray coloured one.

So far my experience being a volunteer has been a really positive one. A long haired 9 month old GSDx girl named Tosh already got adopted. Only got to walk her once. There is Ginger a senior Rottie dame who is really easy going, the biggest suck there is. There was also Cracker, Shelby and Lucky. Unfortunately I can't take pictures of them. At first some of the staff were saying yes then some were saying no. Finally one member of staff said that since some of the animals were seized and there are on going or pending court cases that they didn't want people taking pictures of the animals and the pictures getting on the internet. She did go on to say that whatever pictures that are already on their website that they were good to go. Just don't have time to hunt them down yet.

One thing that I have noticed so far is that most of the dogs are taking me for a walk. I only restraint them at intersections or when crossing the streets to pause for cars and other vehicles. They are pretty wild the first 20minutes out of the kennels and like to sniff at everything. I don't mind since it just lets them do what they want whilst keeping them safe. However I can see this being a problem if someone isn't strong enough to hold them back when crossing streets and it being bad leash manners. Is there anything that I can do? The only training I had was a few hours of power point, talk and video. Actual hands on was like an hour with an experienced dog walker who is also a coordinator there. There wasn't really any training involved except for "this is a leash, remember to close the gate behind you and the park has big green bins for baggies of poo".:shrug:

sugarcatmom
April 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Biobag makes a good biodegrable dog-poop bag: http://www.biobag.ca/pr_pet-products.html

jealma
April 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I'm just using the $ store bags right now but I have a little dog so 60 bags for a buck is good and the poop is not monster size anyways. As far as treats I have found the cost of treats for abby expensive so what I have done is I buy pork liver and boil it than put it in the oven for ohhh 30 min's to dry it out a bit. I cut that up and put it in the freezer in bite size treats. Now since I only have the one small dog that $1.00 worth of liver lasts her a long time,, not sure how much of a peice you'd need for a lab though :-).

Scuba
April 17th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks Sugarcatmom for the link, I went to one of the Tisol stores in town and that was the exact brand that a girl there recommended. I bought a box of 50 then and there. After tax it came to $7.83, a lot more than one loonie for 60. The way that I look at it though is that at the most I only use 4-5 bags a week plus it is biodegradable and a Canadian product to boot.

Didn't find a leash that I liked or fit my requirements even after hitting five different pet stores. I did buy some treats, buffalo liver, made by a company call Feelgood, at True Carnivores. Again it is not cheap for a little baggie at over four dollars but I am only going to be using a tiny amount every week so...

Only thing is that I didn't read the ingredients too carefully in the store and it lists: organic buffalo liver, certified organic brown rice flour, extra virgin olive oil and garlic. I thought that grains and garlic were bad for dogs?:confused:
Should I be giving these to the guys and gals at the SPCA shelter or bin them?

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 02:31 AM
The amount of garlic in those treats will not harm the dogs. They would have to get more than a clove of garlic a day to do any harm.

And, I just wanted to add that the SPCA you volunteer at is very lucky to have you. :thumbs up