Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toxic flowers??

chico2
April 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I am just wondering if anyone knows what these are called and whether they are toxic to cats,Chico loves chewing on the leaves.
I buy these every 2 weeks at Costco,they are great and last exactly 2 weeks,but what are they??

LavenderRott
April 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
They are lillies! And so far as I know, not poisonous.

Kristin7
April 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
My mom loves these, they last forever! They are called Peruvian lilies. I don't know if they're toxic, sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstroemeria

phoozles
April 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM
:eek: Lillies are toxic! My sister's little Maggie :rip: chewed on some lily petals and three days later died - she started vomiting constantly and it was a downward spiral after that! :cry:

I'm not sure if all varieties are poisonous, but I know that some are (she had white ones, I believe). I don't keep any flowers in the house now just to be safe - my cats are notorious chewers..

phoozles
April 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Here's some links - hopefully Chico is fine:fingerscr, but I'd keep them out of the house from now on:

http://www.wnca.com.au/Lilies%20toxic%20Malik.htm

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=444574

sugarcatmom
April 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yup, lilies are a no-no for cats.

Lilies
Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to cats. While the poisonous component has not yet been identified, it is clear that with even ingestions of very small amounts of the plant, severe kidney damage could result.

More info on toxic plants:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_common
http://www.cfa.org/articles/lilies.html
http://www.cfa.org/articles/plants.html

Kristin7
April 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM
They are not true lilies but are mildly toxic. From this site: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer/DocServer/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_vlpp_newsletter032005&printer_friendly=1

"Peace lilies (Spathiphyllum spp.), and calla lilies (Zantedeschia spp) contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals and should not be confused with those in the Liliaceae family; these plants will cause gastrointestinal upset and oral discomfort but do not cause renal injury if ingested by cats. Lily of the Incas or Peruvian lily (Alstroemeria aurantiaca) is also not a true lily, and is only expected to cause mild gastrointestinal signs in healthy animals. Another “faux-lily”, lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis) contains cardiac glycosides that can cause fatal arrhythmias similar to those seen in digoxin toxicosis."

SnowDancer
April 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Well, they will do me in - lillies are at the top of the no-no list for people with allergies, so I figure not so good for the little guys/girls.

clm
April 16th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I've always found cats to be a lot more trouble chewing house plants and flowers than dogs. For that reason, I don't keep any houseplants at all anymore. Not worth the risk. The only plants they get to chew on in the house is the tubs of grass that I grow for them.

Cindy

Love4himies
April 16th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Easter lilies are extremely toxic to cats, not sure about the others.

chico2
April 16th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Thank's,Peruvian Lillies now I know:thumbs up
I actually have house-plants everywhere,even the bathroom,the cats never chews them,have no interest in them at all..except Chico and these flowers.
I do not allow him to chew the leaves anymore and at night-time I put them out of reach.
They eat grass when we are outside,I think that satisfies their lust for greenery.
Chico has shown no signs of beeing sick,but he won't eat any more leaves.
The only plant that has any allure to them is the messy Spider Plant,but I don't have any of those.

chico2
April 16th, 2008, 08:26 AM
L4H,no danger there,I do not like Easter Lillies,it's to me a funeral-flower,that's the only thing they are used for in Sweden:)