Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help me with flea control with a feral colony I care for please...

BillITPro
April 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
First off this is my first post and if this is in the wrong spot I am sorry and can an Admin/Mod please move it.
I have two indoor cats that are like my children and I love them and I also have a pond in my yard with my fish in it as I am an animal lover big time but enought about me....Now onto my issue... (Sorry about the long story but I figured I give a little background on how they came to be my colony)
I was "downsized last August and then in September I had to have pretty major surgery on my left arm so I was stuck in the house and about two weeks into having the cast on I put out some old garlic bread (I figured there had to be an Italian bird or squirrel somewhere in my yard ;) and then it rained. About an hour after the rain I looked out and I saw a very skinny orange and white cat licking the mushed bread on the cement patio well.....
I started feeding her (Her name is Nosey) and she showed up a few weeks later with her two kittens and I was able to get a rescue person in and she caught 4 females and I had to pay to have them fixed and I did but they are very feral. Since Winter was coming I did purchased them a shelter made by a rescue person and made another one (Insulated and all) I also tarped in the above ground pool deck I have as well as the patio table so the shelters are under the deck out of the elements and the patio table so they can eat out of the rain/snow etc. Now that Spring is here I see that they are scratching away I am only able to touch the little one I call Tigga and that's not every day so putting anything on them for the flea problem is out of the question. Any other suggestions? I feed them and even though I am still not back to work I won't stop feeding them as long as I have something to eat so will they but I want to help with the flea problem. Again sorry for the long winded story and any suggestions would be appreciated. I know about Program but I can't afford to keep buying it at this time. I was hoping for another solution.

BillITPro

aslan
April 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
i would google homeopathic remedies for flea control. I know if you sprinkle brewers yeast on their food it will kill the fleas that bite them.. Not 100% sure what quantity to use tho.

aslan
April 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
found this on a natural remedy site

Check with your vet before using the garlic on your pets. Some experts will tell you that onion and garlic are toxic to animals. Also remember that cats and dogs may require different treatments, and treatments may differ according to the size and age of the animal. Please check with your vet before using ANYTHING on or around your pets.
ON CATS:
Feed 1/2 teaspoon of powdered yeast daily to the cat.
OR
Feed half a garlic clove per day.
OR
Put dried chamomile flowers in the cat's basket

RUSTYcat
April 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
found this on a natural remedy site

Check with your vet before using the garlic on your pets. Some experts will tell you that onion and garlic are toxic to animals. Also remember that cats and dogs may require different treatments, and treatments may differ according to the size and age of the animal. Please check with your vet before using ANYTHING on or around your pets.
ON CATS:
Feed 1/2 teaspoon of powdered yeast daily to the cat.
OR
Feed half a garlic clove per day.
OR
Put dried chamomile flowers in the cat's basket

GARLIC IS TOXIC FOR CATS, PERIOD.

Hazmat
April 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Google diatomaceous Earth fleas.

or look up Boric acid fleas. Although the boric acid powder is more suited for indoor use and may kill nearby plants.

Both are very inexpensive solutions. See what your vet recommends since applications, especially outdoors, will vary depending on your local weather.

chico2
April 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM
BillitPro,I have no reasonable suggestion,just wanted to say,you are wonderful for caring for the feral kitties.
Wish you could get a windfall and be able to spay/neuter them all,but feeding them and giving them shelter is great:cat:

sugarcatmom
April 15th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Here's a link that talks about natural flea control (and ya, I wouldn't use garlic): http://www.eartheasy.com/article_natural_flea_control.htm

The main thing is trying to minimize fleas in the environment, since the fleas really only spend a short time on the animal itself. Being that this is a feral colony, that makes it a little tougher. Introducing nematodes to areas that the cats frequent might be helpful though.

Outdoor control

Nematodes

While you can't kill off the fleas that your pet is going to encounter when it goes outside, you can keep the population down in the area around your house by using nematodes. These microscopic worms eat flea larvae and are therefore a natural way to control the flea population.

You can purchase nematodes online , or at pet and garden stores. Place them in moist, shady spots near your house; neither fleas nor nematodes survive in the hot sun. As nematodes multiply rapidly, you have only to introduce a small number to have the desired effect.

Also wanted to say that I think it's awesome, BillITPro, that you're looking after all these kitties. Thanks for having such a warm heart.

MOOSEDRY
April 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM
BillITPro: i just wanted to second chico's sentiments! god bless you for taking care of the feral cats!!! you are their angel!

tracy :lovestruck:

14+kitties
April 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I just wanted to say thank you as well. You do a great service to those little ones. How many are there all together? You said you got 4 females fixed. Are there more?

I don't know how effective this would be outside but if you know someone who sells Avon Skin So Soft it is supposed to work on repelling fleas. Of course you wouldn't be able to spray it on the actual cats but maybe if you could spray the areas they sleep in? I would think it would take a while to work. I used it on my bunch last year. I sprayed it on their blankets and play areas and diluted the spray for them.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/167096/how_to_use_avon_skin_so_soft_on_horses.html

aslan
April 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM
GARLIC IS TOXIC FOR CATS, PERIOD.

Incase you can't tell it's a cut and paste from a naturopath website. This isn't my information, i'm just forwarding it. But thank you for your input on what he shouldn't do, hmm maybe you could suggest something then.

BillITPro
April 16th, 2008, 11:21 AM
For those that want to see the colony the main ones anyway the others I haven't gotten pictures of yet or my pond or my two indoor fuzzy beasts here is where I posted them...
http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa171/MrMajestyk_13/

Bill

Love4himies
April 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Thank you for caring for this kitties and sharing your pictures of them. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you.

chico2
April 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM
OMG,look at all those beautiful cats,what a shame,but thank you,a million times over for caring for them.:angel2:
Are they completely feral???

BillITPro
April 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Oh and thanks everyone for the compliments and the advice sorry I thought I said that earlier but Woogie was talking to me so I sometimes get distracted.
@Chico2 Tigga lets me touch her sometimes when she feels like it the rest stay just outside my reach usually. Though PaleFace does come right up to me when I go out with a new bowl of wet food and just about lets me touch her but not yet.
And Mugsy she is a mush she lets me pick her up and whatever she even let me put her in the carrier to take her to the vet a few weeks back (Her eyes were discharging BAD and she was hacking(coughing) away something bad too). She is the one I am trying to get adopted she has no tail (lost in an injury the vet said) and barely any teeth and the colony won't accept her (I can relate lol) but she is SO LOVING it's silly. I can't walk outside without her running up to me.

Bill

chico2
April 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
This pic of your 2 is absolutely adorable,they certainly love each other:lovestruck:

chico2
April 16th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Poor Mugsy,hopefully you can find someone to love her:pray: