Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you handle hip dysplasia?

JanM
April 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I've been looking for information on hip dysplasia and wonder how others handle their dogs' pain and such. Bobby has dysplasia in his right hip and since learning of that, I've started to avoid hills as much as possible. We go out every morning for as long as he seems able - he can't do the afternoon outings any more. He also has a disc that pinches his spinal cord.

Do you exercise your dogs that have dysplasia? Do you let them play with other dogs when they are able?

If anyone can share their experiences with this I'd sure appreciate it. Right now he is on anti-inflammatories/pain killers for the short term. I'm considering acupuncture as the next step.

I have to admit that I'm concerned for the long term - I just don't know what to expect down the road so any insights would be really appreciated!

mastifflover
April 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I have spoken with some people who use swimming as therapy and exercise for hip and knee and spine injuries. Here are a few links that may help you
http://mastiffonlinecommunity.net/viewforum.php?f=36
http://members.aol.com/RocknRob56/ You may also find some good info on pain meds pros and cons

JanM
April 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have spoken with some people who use swimming as therapy and exercise for hip and knee and spine injuries. Here are a few links that may help you
http://mastiffonlinecommunity.net/viewforum.php?f=36
http://members.aol.com/RocknRob56/ You may also find some good info on pain meds pros and cons

Thanks for the links, mastifflover - I had a look at both sites and found some posts with seemingly similar problems as we have. I've noticed that Bobby really hasn't improved markedly since being on the Deramaxx - somewhat, but not much so now I'm concerned there's something else going on - or, as a couple of posts on the mastiff site noted, some meds just don't work with some dogs!

I'm waiting for the vet to call me back to see where to go from here.

Swimming isn't Bobby's favourite thing to do so I won't force it on him (yet - or unless it becomes the only option left)..

Thanks again for the links - very interesting info!

rainbow
April 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Do you already have Bobby on glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplements? You could also talk to your vet about getting Cartrophen injections.

JanM
April 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Do you already have Bobby on glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplements? You could also talk to your vet about getting Cartrophen injections.

He is on probiotics but not specific to glucosamine/chondriotin - I'll ask the vet about them. We have talked about Cartophen injections and, while it is still an option, we agreed that acupuncture might be more effective right now.

Sorting the options out is not an easy task! Thanks for the suggestions..

rainbow
April 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I can't remember what you are feeding Bobby but raw or grain-free kibble is the best way to go.

Also, this website has lots of good information...

http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html

JanM
April 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I can't remember what you are feeding Bobby but raw or grain-free kibble is the best way to go.

Also, this website has lots of good information...

http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html

Bobby is now on a hypoallergenic food - we've been through every kind of food known to man and beast - including raw and grain-free. During his last food reaction he went on the hypoallergenic stuff. So far so good but I'm not convinced he will be able to tolerate it for very long!
Thanks for the link - I'll check it out now..

SnowDancer
April 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I have never gone through hip dyplasia with a dog but it is a future possibility as I now have an American Eskimo. I tell you this because of your mention of the disc and the spinal cord. Since I know WAY too much about disc problems due to my darling, now at the bridge, mini Dachshunds, I am wondering if there are 2 separate issues here. Would it be possible for you to have surgergy on the disc that is causing a problem with the spinal cord? If it is only one disc, to me, as I am sure you will understand, since every single disc in the backs and necks of my 2 special guys were affected - this would be minor surgery. A few discs is a different matter - and also if it is related to the hip dysplasia that is different. Just thought I would ask because that might make a huge difference.

BMDLuver
April 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Both my dogs are dysplastic hips and ocd elbows. When they are having an off day or two, I give them 1 Rimadyl first day, 1/2 second day, then they are back to normal. They are 2 & 3 years old. My one guy had reconstructive surgery for an s curved tibia that kept his elbow constantly dislocated so we repaired it. Each day, they go out, romp, play and be just plain silly. My theory is very personal, live life to the fullest and enjoy while they can, help them on bad days and let them build up supportive muscle on the good days. If one were to have complications, we would again do surgery, otherwise, an xray is only as good as the dog can move... meaning, they bounce, leap have fun, forget the xray, the dog will let you know and takes a break when it's enough. My goal is for them to live life to the fullest as long as they can. The one came in barely able to walk due to lack of exercise, 20 hours left in an apartment, now he walks, plays runs and is a big goof. Vet checked 3 weeks ago and he showed no pain when being checked whereas when he came in he was cowering and nipping a hand that just barely touched him. Doesn't mean it works for everyone but it works for my guys and I love them enough to let them be dogs and have fun within reason.

JanM
April 15th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I have never gone through hip dyplasia with a dog but it is a future possibility as I now have an American Eskimo. I tell you this because of your mention of the disc and the spinal cord. Since I know WAY too much about disc problems due to my darling, now at the bridge, mini Dachshunds, I am wondering if there are 2 separate issues here. Would it be possible for you to have surgergy on the disc that is causing a problem with the spinal cord? If it is only one disc, to me, as I am sure you will understand, since every single disc in the backs and necks of my 2 special guys were affected - this would be minor surgery. A few discs is a different matter - and also if it is related to the hip dysplasia that is different. Just thought I would ask because that might make a huge difference.

Thanks, SnowDancer - yes, the vet says these are two separate issues and as far as I know, there is only one disc affected. I'm still waiting (since this morning) for the vet to call and this is a question I will add to my list so I'm sure! I was going to ask her about chiropractic work for the disc - I'll also ask about surgery. I also want to know how to tell if its the disc bothering him or the dysplasia...

JanM
April 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Both my dogs are dysplastic hips and ocd elbows. When they are having an off day or two, I give them 1 Rimadyl first day, 1/2 second day, then they are back to normal. They are 2 & 3 years old. My one guy had reconstructive surgery for an s curved tibia that kept his elbow constantly dislocated so we repaired it. Each day, they go out, romp, play and be just plain silly. My theory is very personal, live life to the fullest and enjoy while they can, help them on bad days and let them build up supportive muscle on the good days. If one were to have complications, we would again do surgery, otherwise, an xray is only as good as the dog can move... meaning, they bounce, leap have fun, forget the xray, the dog will let you know and takes a break when it's enough. My goal is for them to live life to the fullest as long as they can. The one came in barely able to walk due to lack of exercise, 20 hours left in an apartment, now he walks, plays runs and is a big goof. Vet checked 3 weeks ago and he showed no pain when being checked whereas when he came in he was cowering and nipping a hand that just barely touched him. Doesn't mean it works for everyone but it works for my guys and I love them enough to let them be dogs and have fun within reason.

Our goals are similar - I, too believe they should be able to live life to their fullest and I've been doing my best but lately Bobby just isn't able to do much. Since starting the Deramaxx he looks more alert and his dysplastic joint is moving better but he still isn't able to do much - he's very slow and methodical on our morning outing (30 minutes to an hour depending on Bobby, the weather and me) and he may go for 5 minutes on an afternoon leash walk. Then tonight he goes out and plays tug with Amber for a few minutes! I'm a little concerned about him being on the NSAID very long because of his digestion problems so I"m watching that pretty carefully too.

What is Rimadyl ? Is it an NSAID drug? are there side effects?

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Yep, Rimadyl is another NSAID. It has similar side-effects to Deramaxx. Our dogs seem to tolerate it a little better than Deramaxx. If used long-term, you'll have to have periodic blood tests done to check liver function. And with his tummy history, I think I'd go with the acupuncture, first, and see if it offers him any relief.

We've had great luck with glucosamine/chondroitin supplements--if you go that route, make sure you get a high-quality one since some of the cheaper brands don't have as much active ingredient. We had a dog with inflammatory bowel disease and elbow dysplasia who could not tolerate the NSAIDs well, but never had a problem with the glucosamine/chondroitin--with luck, Bobby will also tolerate it well. :fingerscr

Since Bobby's got a finicky stomach, I'm guessing he's on the light side of normal as far as weight goes? That would be a good thing--the lighter the dog, within reason, of course, the easier it is on the joints.

The other thing that helps is keeping muscles well-toned, because that will actually help keep the hips less lax. Too bad he doesn't like the water...but any moderate exercise will help.

One of our dogs had very severe HD and back problems because of it and eventually we had her hips replaced and the back taken care of. The surgery was very successful--we had the surgery done when she was 5 and she lived another 10 years nearly pain free :thumbs up Pricey, though... :o With luck you'll be able to manage the HD and the vertebral pinching without surgery.

JanM
April 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM
[hazelrunpack] "Since Bobby's got a finicky stomach, I'm guessing he's on the light side of normal as far as weight goes? That would be a good thing--the lighter the dog, within reason, of course, the easier it is on the joints."

Yes - he is on the lighter side - he's at 66 lbs now - in 2006 he was up to 79 lbs. He is short for a Golden - Amber is taller than he is.

So, the morning walks will continue as long as he shows he can continue - from what I'm learning, they do help! At least Amber doesn't get shorted - in the mornings we walk along the shore and I throw sticks for her to swim to retrieve then we walk over to the off-leash dog park and I throw her ball so she gets her exercise - which she needs being a high-energy girl - Bobby just walks along and sniffs things so he's getting his exercise too.

SnowDancer
April 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I would MOST definitely go for the surgery for th disc if it is an option. There was a lady on another breed specific board - and I don't mean a Dachshund - but an Eskie. Same issue but she decided to go with acupuncture. Actually she had so many sessions I think she could have had the surgery for the same price. The vet definitely stressed that surgery was the best option but she (and the other people on the board disagreed). I don't post on that board! Jump forward a couple of months and the dog was paralyzed and had to be put to sleep. Not to scare you, but this could have been avoided. What was worse is she said that where she lived in the US, although there were several canine neurosurgeons, that ALL would only operate on TOY dogs. What a load of ****. Unfortunately, cost wise, you might need the neuro to do a MRI plus the other special X-Rays - this is expensive. The time in the operating room would not be long if only one disc is affected. Personally, having been through the disc probelm and knowing how the spinal cord nerves are affected and the pain - I think that could be worse than dealing with the hip dysplasia. A friend of mine who had many Dachshunds and a Shepherd agreed when she went through both. I am just hoping that Dysplasia does not strike my pup. He is a small Standard - 22 lbs. so there is hope - but he could get Cruciate or Patellar. He pulled a muscle last May and I had him to the vet so fast certain it was a disc problem having read of 2on the Eskie board with the problem. I even have the Toronto neuro's phone number in my address book. Hope that everything works out for you.

JanM
April 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the insight, SnowDancer - I talked to the vet this morning to describe Bobby's reaction to the Deramaxx. When I told her that he looks better and the joint is moving better but he is still having problems she is beginning to think it is the disc that is the most troublesome for him. She wants to put him on prednisone for a very short period - apparently it is more effective for disc pain than is the Deramaxx. I'll be checking out prednisone before I decide but, since it is one disc, we will discuss surgery. I asked her about chiropractic adjustment and she said NO - the x-ray shows it is a bone issue so, now I wait until Friday...

Waiting has got to be the hardest!

SnowDancer
April 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Yep, waiting is definitely the hardest. Prior to surgery being an option (my first guy was a "pioneer" steroids were given to Dachshunds and they had to stay at the vet's for a couple of weeks and moved to increasingly smaller cages as movement returned (if it did) so as to stop pups from moving about too much (now this was hard). After the 3rd such "event" of full paralysis, this time including the neck discs, surgery had become an option so full body it was - and 40 days in hospital. That was not good - but what a joy when feeling returned to both sides of his body. So if your pup just has one disc causing a problem, definitely try the steroids, but do consider the surgery. If you have the special X-Rays done - or even when the surgeon opens him up, he could see if the immediately adjacent discs are starting to calcify or press on the spinal cord and try to alleviate that problem right then. Please make sure you report back.

TeriM
April 25th, 2008, 05:04 PM
How is Bobby doing now?

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

TeriM
April 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I also definately recommend adding a glucosamine supplement to his diet. I found the best results with the liquid brands as it has better absorption. I use the one from Costco and it has glucosamine/chondrotin and MSM. I have also used a product called Sasha's blend with Lucy that seemed to help quite a bit. I have since progressed to cartrophen shots which are even better but she is now 12 so arthritis and old age are definately factors.

TeriM
April 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Here are a few threads on Sasha's blend if you are interested.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43313&highlight=sashas+blend

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40883&highlight=sashas+blend

JanM
April 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I also definately recommend adding a glucosamine supplement to his diet. I found the best results with the liquid brands as it has better absorption. I use the one from Costco and it has glucosamine/chondrotin and MSM. I have also used a product called Sasha's blend with Lucy that seemed to help quite a bit. I have since progressed to cartrophen shots which are even better but she is now 12 so arthritis and old age are definately factors.

Thanks for the info, TeriM.. I've taken Bobby off the NSAID drugs - he was having some pretty bad days on them - he had good days and bad days before the drugs too. Given that they are very hard on the system, I opted to stop them - and he's been doing very well since coming off them. He has been running just because he wants to which, for him, is a wonder to see!
I haven't started glucosamine but I will do that. I'll head for Costco early next week and get theirs. A couple of times now (since stopping the Deramaxx), Bobby has come for an hour afternoon walk - and this is after our morning outing so that's a good sign. Yesterday he had a bad day but today he's much perkier.

There's something else going on though - now his left shoulder is troublesome for him. He was pretty wobbly this morning so I massaged the shoulder and voila - he perked right up. I'm sure the glucosamine will help...

Thanks again!

rainbow
April 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Jan, we just discussed glucosamine/chondroitin supplements here and it seems that some brands are more effective than others....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51380

JanM
April 26th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Jan, we just discussed glucosamine/chondroitin supplements here and it seems that some brands are more effective than others....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51380

Great info - Thanks!

punky
April 28th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I did not notice how old your dog is. My 14 yr old Akita/Husky has been having trouble for past 2 yrs, just got worse over time, he could not do rimadyl, nor could my other dog, upset their stomach's.

My dog is having a hard time with the 3 steps coming into the house, he is slower with walking, and cannot walk for too long when I take him out. I have a ramp for steps but he don't like it, funny my other dog just ran right up it, she had bad hips too.

I had great success with Meloxicam the generic of Metacam liquid, your vet can prescribe this medicine it comes in tablet form you can get at walmart, it is not that expensive, you no doubt you should get prescribed the 7.5 mg tablets you break these in half, or quarters depending on the weight of your dog, you vet will tell you. Always hide in food.

These are very small pills, you can get the Metacam Liquid from the vet but it cost for a large bottle $ 80.00 to $ 90.00, so why pay that when you can get the tablets at a price you can afford.

Meloxicam is a human drug for arthritus, i would have never know this until i did a web search on the generic name of Metacam, when I found the generic name meloxicam I called my vet and she gave me an RX for it

Why she didn't suggest the generic tablets in the first place I'll never know, not everyone has $80.00 - $ 90.00 for liquid pain med's.

You can go to Walmarts RX site and get the pricing on the meloxicam tablets, or your doc can fax the rx to Dr. Foster and Smith who are online, you can check pricing there also

hope this helps some,

my dog has been taking this for 2 yrs now, he's 14 . The older larger dogs there hips and hind legs just seem to go. There's not too much I can do except to keep him comfortable, I know his time is coming, dogs usually can tell you when its there time, its harder for us to let go, and it never gets easier.
My other smaller dog who was 16 was taking this also.