Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi everyone....new here....

spike's mama
April 15th, 2008, 10:16 AM
and was wondering if anyone could tell me how common it is among male dogs to have one testicle? I have a beagle, he is 8 months old and he has one testicle. Also, is it true that having just one testicle increases his chances of developing testicular cancer? Thanks for you time.

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hi, I don't know a whole lot about dogs, I have cats, but it seems he's a good age to be neutered. Once you neuter him there are no chances of him getting testicular cancer. I know the age of getting dogs neutered varies, I've read that here I believe.

Anyway, someone with more knowledge should show up and give you a better answer.

luckypenny
April 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Welcome to pets.ca spike's mama :) .

Are you sure your pup only has one testicle, or only one descended testicle? All un-neutered dogs have an increased chance of testicular cancer although ones with undescended testicles have even greater chances (in addition to inflammation of the retained testicle that can lead to other complications). Having your pup neutered would eliminate any related problems.

spike's mama
April 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Hi thanx for the welcome and the replies. The vet told us he had only one testicle. We are seriously considering having him neutered for this reason. He is an housedog and the only time he goes outside is when he is on a leash and we go with him...he is never tied on outside and left alone therefore having him neutered wasn't a priority however having said that, is it true that having him neutered will change his demeanor? He is a very healthy energetic dog, will having him neutered turn him into a lazy one?

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I've never heard of neutering or spaying making any animal lazy. It will make them less aggressive, since there is no longer any hormones going through their system. All my cats are S/N and they have plenty of energy, energy spurts that is. I also know everyone here has S/N their dogs and they've never mentioned anything about lazy dogs. :D

spike's mama
April 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Thanx a bunch...I'll be calling my vet in the morning to make an appointment.:dog:

rainbow
April 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Neutering will certainly not make him lazy nor will it make him fat as long as he is exercized properly.

I agree with luckypenny....it is likely that the other testicle has not descended which can be life threatening if he is not neutered. Dogs can be born with only one testicle or no testicles but it is very rare and this can only be confirmed by surgery.

WHAT IF A DOG HAS AN UNDESCENDED TESTICLE?

Undescended testicles have an increased tendency to grow tumors. They may also twist on their stalks and cause life-threatening inflammation. For these reasons, neutering is recommended for dogs with undescended testicles. This procedure is more complicated than a routine neuter; the missing testicle can be under the skin along the path it should have descended to the scrotum or it may be inside the abdomen. Some exploration may be needed to find it thus there is often an incision for each testicle. The retained testicle is sterile and under-developed. If there is one descended testicle, this one will be fertile but since retaining a testicle is a hereditary trait, it is important that the male dog not be bred before he is neutered.

The above quote is from this website: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_neuter.html

My husky had an undescended testicle and was neutered at 5 months old. The operation is a little more expensive as they have to look for the missing testicle so it costs about the same as a spay operation.

Here is some more information....

http://www.dogstuff.info/cryptorchidism.html

rainbow
April 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Oooops....I forgot to say welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up and we would love to see pics of your little guy as soon as you are able to post attachments in a couple of days. :D

spike's mama
April 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanx for the welcome and the info.

BMDLuver
April 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM
when they only have one testicle descended it's referred to as Cryptorchid. Please make very sure that your vet has done several neuterings on Cryptorchid's before. This is major surgery as opposed to minor surgery because of this. If your vet hasn't then ask to be recommended to one who has.

Winston
April 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM
When I brought my guy in a long time ago the vet mentioned that it was pretty common for the one testical not to drop down. They also mentioned that it would cost a bit more money for the neuter! I agree that it doesnt make your dog change! I had a very hyper lab and 6 months to the day he was born I neutered him because its the right thing to do! but also was told by many that it would calm him down! of course I couldnt wait!!! He finally mellowed out at 4 yrs old! :wall: didnt work a darn bit for me! :laughing: Cant wait to see some pics of your pup! By S/N your pet you are helping to not contribute to the many unwanted pups there are now!!

Cindy

rainbow
April 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
when they only have one testicle descended it's referred to as Cryptorchid. Please make very sure that your vet has done several neuterings on Cryptorchid's before. This is major surgery as opposed to minor surgery because of this. If your vet hasn't then ask to be recommended to one who has.

I agree.....make sure your vet knows about Cryptorchidism especially since he/she said that he only *has* one testicle because only surgery confirm that.