Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Travelling with Dog - through US from Canada by Car?

sammgo21
April 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I am toying with the idea of taking a summer trip to PEI (from Toronto) our dog is great in the car, she loves it. I would like to travel partly through the US. Does anyone know what is required to do so? if you have done this with your pet I would love to hear your experience.

Thanks

Love4himies
April 15th, 2008, 11:48 AM
You will need rabies vaccine papers crossing the boarder, we took all my kitties vaccine papers with us, but rabies is a must. They look for the vet's signature and date of vaccine.

Love4himies
April 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Also, not sure if you feed your dog raw, but the US does not allow many types of meat into the US.

sammgo21
April 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks Love4himies,

I have all of her paperwork so I'll just bring that stuff. She is on kibble for now, so food shouldn't be a problem.

TKW
April 15th, 2008, 05:12 PM
We have done this many times.

Rabies shot must be done more than 30 days before crossing.

You have to be careful with kibbles. It must be in original packaging with contents listed and free of beef and other banned meat products. Our dog eats kibbles that are made in the US so there's no problem at all. Check your pet food package if it is non-US brand.

t.pettet
April 15th, 2008, 09:37 PM
For your dog's safety and your peace-of-mind keep a leashed harness on her and attach the seat belt through it. Also have her tags (name,address & #, vet's tags and emerg. #. So many people loose their pets by not having them properly restrained especially if you're involved in an accident.