Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gracie's not doing too well

Dogastrophe
April 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hi folks, been a while since I posted about the critters.

Our little Gracie is not doing too well. The other night / early morning we heard her hacking up what we thought was a furball. We went to check on her (and clean the mess) and figured that she got into something like a plastic bag and was barfing up the pieces. We kept an eye on her yesterday and she wasn't herself - a bit sluggish, still barfing (bile coming up), etc. We took her food away around noon and gave her water. I checked her litter last night to find that she hadn't had a movement and only had one pee since Sunday evening.

My wife took her to the vet this morning (they proceeded to say that they would work up an estimate to treat her ... wife told them to just tell us how much we owe them afterwards). They took her right in, checked for dehydration - which she was - and started her on fluids. I received a call from the vet a few hours ago. The were in the process of doing some bloodwork but had the results of the x-rays.

Vet said that it appeared that she had a hernia that was pushing her insides into the chest cavity. He asked if Gracie sustained any trauma recently, such as being hit by a car or taking a fall. I gave him the limited speculated history that we had on her prior to us finding her last year. As well he said that what appeared to be a blockage was showing on the x-rays. She is scheduled for surgery sometime this afternoon and I am waiting for an update post-op (very difficult to sit here just waiting). Vet said that the herniated area may cause some complications for surgery but he won't know the extent until they go in.

This poor kitty has been through far too much in her short life to have to deal with this. Hopefully all goes well :fingerscr When I get more details I'll let you know.

diandpat
April 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM
:pray: for Gracie. If she was a young stray who found you she must be very tenacious. No doubt she will come through with flying colors. Please update us when the vet does call with the good news post-op ;)

Love4himies
April 15th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Sending some :goodvibes: your way. Hope all goes well.

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Poor Gracie has had a rough start. I'm sending some good thoughts your way. Please let us know how she does after the surgery. :pray::goodvibes:

14+kitties
April 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM
:grouphug: for you and all the :pray:s, :goodvibes:, and :fingerscr for little Gracie.

Frenchy
April 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Sending lots of :goodvibes: , Gracie is a tuff little cookie , I'm sure it will all go well :grouphug:

:fingerscr

badger
April 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
:fingerscr for a good outcome. Her age is in her favour, as is your tender care. Please keep us updated!

jessi76
April 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM
poor gal... sending good thoughts & vibes your way! :goodvibes:

clm
April 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I hope Gracie gets through it all with flying colours. Hugs to Gracie and a speedy recovery. :grouphug:

Cindy

Lukka'sma
April 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Oh poor Gracie.
I hope the surgery is straight forward and no complications. :thumbs up for a quick recovery.

phoozles
April 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Sending you some :goodvibes: that all will be well for Gracie - and, as others have said, she does have youth on her side .. :grouphug: Keep us posted on the results!

rainbow
April 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Gracie. :grouphug: Poor wee girl has been through so much already. :sad: :grouphug: I hope this surgery goes well for her and sending lots of good wishes your way. :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
April 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM
:grouphug: Lots of :goodvibes: and :pray: from us too!

Dogastrophe
April 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes. Gracie made it through her surgery alright although there apparently were a few touch and go moments. Her O2 saturation level dropped to 30% at one point. They figured that she had a preexisting tear in her diaphram. When she ingested the foreign object (I have it home with me and cannot figure out what it is ... it looks like an electrical marrett but is not the type I occassionally use??) it got lodged in her upper intestine. When she worked at yacking it out, it caused the tear in her diaphram to open up which forced her stomach, small intestine, liver, kidneys into her chest cavity which put pressure on her lungs and heart.

They were able to pull everything out and put it back where it belonged and close up the diaphram tear (as well as extract the object). Vet said that her lungs were about the size of small plums rather than filling the chest cavity, so they were working on inflating them slowly. We picked her up this evening to transport her to the after hours / emerg clinic where she will be spending the night. Her O2 saturation was around 85% when we left her, as well she is looking around and moving her head.

We are going to pick her up in the morning and bring her back to the vet for the day. She will likely spend tomorrow evening at the emerg clinic again, then if all goes well we should be able to her home on Thursday evening.

I figure she's used up 4 or 5 of her lives so far. Hopefully she is done with using up anymore for a long long time.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/Dogastrophe/DSCF0022-1.jpg

Lukka'sma
April 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Wow, that poor little thing has been through a very trying day. You must be very worried about her and I hope you are able to get some sleep and not worry too much about Gracie. With any luck:fingerscr she will be home in a couple of days and you can fuss over her and spoil her rotten:D.
I will be thinking of her:)

Jim Hall
April 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM
wow thats one tough cat im sure she is feeling tones better sounds like you should try to keep plastic away. never had a plastic loving kitty it must be a real struggle

Dogastrophe
April 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, we need to do a better cat proofing of the house (plus keep her out of my furnace room).

Mrs. Dog just called the emerg to check on her before bed. They still have her on full oxygen but expect to wean her off throughout the night. They said that she was sitting up grooming herself. :thumbs up

Jim Hall
April 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM
excellent!!! thanks for the update she looks so cute !! it always amazes me how these fragile looking creatures are so tough and resileient

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I'm so happy she's all better. I've been checking throughout the day to see if you posted anything.

She's been through so much. You need to do some major spoiling.

Please let us know how she's doing once you get her home.

Frenchy
April 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I'm glad everything is ok now :thumbs up I love the picture , she looks like a statue ! :lovestruck:

about cat proofing the house .... I don't think this is doable , cats get into EVERYTHING !!! :p

Speedy recovery Gracie :goodvibes:

krdahmer
April 15th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Thats great! I hope she has a speedy recovery and that this is the last of her dicey situations!!! :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2008, 10:49 PM
OMG, poor Gracie! :eek: That must have been some tear in her diaphragm!

I'm so glad she's doing so well after surgery! Even grooming herself! :fingerscr for an effortless recovery from here on out.

:grouphug:s to you and Mrs Dog and a very soft and careful :grouphug: for Gracie...

14+kitties
April 15th, 2008, 10:52 PM
:pray:s and :goodvibes: for a speedy recovery for Gracie. She is one tough little cookie to have gone through all of that.

Dogastrophe
April 16th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Gracie made it through the night with no real troubles. We called around 3am to check on her - they said that they had her out of the O2 enriched crate for about an hour or so and that she was breathing fine. Her O2 sat level is now in the 95% range. Her heartbeat is still increased but they figure she is a bit stressed out. She is following motion with her eyes and is fairly alert.

Mrs Dog is picking her up this morning to bring her back to the vet for another day of monitoring. Unless something drastic happens, I think she will be ok.

The pups were really missing her last night, especially Jack. He wandered the house sniffing in all her hiding spots then would stop, look at us with a quizzical look, then continue to sniff around.

Her beautiful fluff of white fur on the chest is now gone :eek:

I'm stopping into the vet around lunch to check on her so will have more info then.

:pawprint:

clm
April 16th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I'm so glad she's going to be okay. Yes, I'd say she's used up a few lives on this episode. She's way too cute. I love the picture.

Cindy

Love4himies
April 16th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Oh, I am so happy she is going to be OK!

BTW, she is a cutie:cloud9:

jessi76
April 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
thanks for posting updates! such a relief to read she's going to be ok! she's so cute... hugs to her for a speedy recovery!

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for keeping us all posted. I'm so happy to hear she's doing better. I'm sure she'll be at 110% in no time! :thumbs up

rainbow
April 16th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Glad to hear all went well for Gracie. :highfive: Wishing her a speedy recovery and hope she will soon be playing with Jack and Lucy again. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love the pic....too cute. :lovestruck:

kalola
April 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Glad to hear all went well. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Dogastrophe
April 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
We just returned from dropping Gracie off at the emerg clinic for another night's observation. She was less than thrilled about being in her carrier for the 30 min drive from the vet to the clinic and gave us a series of "mews" the whole way over, which thrilled us to no end. She was fairly alert and tried sticking her paws through the front grate to touch Mrs Dog.

After they got her settled into her area we went in to say goodnight. She sat and stared at us then decided she needed to have a pee. She walked into the litter box, got tangled up in her IV line, get peeved off and walked out of the box.

When I talked with the vet this afternoon he said that she was doing very well and that she'll likely be home with us tomorrow evening. :thumbs up

Jim Hall
April 16th, 2008, 08:16 PM
good for gracie what is she getiing in her IV?

hazelrunpack
April 16th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'm glad to hear that she's feeling some better and especially that she'll be able to come home tomorrow if all goes well! :thumbs up It sounds like she's made a remarkable recovery so far! :goodvibes: and :fingerscr that she continues on that same path!

And :grouphug:s to you and Mrs Dog!

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Great news all around! I hope we get some pictures of Gracie once she's back home.:D

TeriM
April 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM
When I talked with the vet this afternoon he said that she was doing very well and that she'll likely be home with us tomorrow evening. :thumbs up

Great news :thumbs up. Gracie certainly made a good choice when she adopted you :D.

badger
April 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Mrs. Dog :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Good news about Gracie. Once she's back home, she'll do even better. In fact, without that object lodged in her gut, she'll be a whole new cat!

Dogastrophe
April 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM
GRACIE'S HOME!!!!! :clap::clap:

We picked her up this evening and brought her home. Once she got into the house she started to meow up a storm wanting out of her carrier. We put her into her room and opened up the carrier which she quickly came out of and gave her freshly cleaned room the once over.

She made an attempt to jump her baby gate, which I was able to partially prevent. Rather than risk her jumping over it, we raised it up a bit so she can get under (Jack tried to get his big but under it so he could see her :laughing:). She came out of the room, down the stairs, and checked out the main level of the house while the pups sniffed her from head to toe. She gave them a few full body rubs across their faces. :lovestruck:

We put a bit of food out for her which she is now happily eating. We even managed to get her antibiotic into her with the help of a pill pocket.

I hope to get some pics of her tomorrow when she is a bit more awake, which I'll post.

Thanks all for the good wishes. :thankyou:

14+kitties
April 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I am so glad Gracie is home and doing well! She has been through an awful lot. Now it's time to rest. :goodvibes:

Jim Hall
April 17th, 2008, 08:11 PM
good for you guys sounds like she is doing great

Frenchy
April 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM
while the pups sniffed her from head to toe. She gave them a few full body rubs across their faces. :lovestruck:

That is so cute ! :cloud9:

I'm glad she's home and doing good ! :highfive:

ancientgirl
April 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'm so glad you finally have her home. Sounds like she was really happy to be home and on her way to a speedy recovery. :cat:

TeriM
April 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Woohoo for Gracie being home :thumbs up.

loopoo
April 18th, 2008, 01:01 AM
catching up on forums... so glad your little sweetie is doing okay definitely have to post more pics:)

rainbow
April 18th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Glad to hear Gracie is home and doing well. :highfive:

Lots of :goodvibes: :goodvibes: for a speedy recovery. :fingerscr

Looking forward to new pics. :D

Love4himies
April 18th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I am glad she is finally home and is doing well!

chico2
April 18th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Oh no,I missed all this,but reading it all and seeing a happy ending to your worries is great:cat:
:goodvibes::fingerscr:pray:that nothing else will go wrong with her,she certainly is a resiliant little girl and very smart to adopt you,there is no way she is going to leave you:thumbs up
Looking forward to the pics you promised:cat:

Lukka'sma
April 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Glad you're back home Gracie. Get well soon:D

hazelrunpack
April 18th, 2008, 09:28 AM
What fabulous news! You must be sooooo relieved! :grouphug: Attagirl, Gracie! :highfive:

phoozles
April 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Great to hear - sounds like Gracie will be fully back up to her old self in no time (if she isn't already!) :thumbs up

CyberKitten
April 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I have not had time to peek in here until now and just wanted to say I am so sorry Grace had to go through all this but is fine now. What a scare for all of you and poor Gracie!! Alone at the vets but it sounds like they were good to her. Is it a vet in Clayton Park? (I know, I am too nosy - tell me if I am, lol)

I have a friend who has a vet there and loves the clinic!

Her O2 saturation level dropped to 30% at one point.

All I can say to that is OMG!!! That is incredible- was the obstruction near her pulmonary system? Her lungs or heart? Gawd, she is one lucky kitty. I am glad to hear her sats are back to normal again.

Here is a hug for Gracie and for your family, for all you had to cope with!! Take care!! :grouphug::grouphug:

Dogastrophe
April 18th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Our dogs are both at Carnegy's in Clayton Park, Gracie is at Westwood Hills in Tantallion.

She spent her nights at the Metro Emerg clinic in Dartmouth so she had 24 hour observation for the days she was away.

The obstruction was removed from the first inch or so of small intestine. Her lungs were reduced to the size of plums due to all the other organs taking up the chest cavity space due to the tear in the diaphragm. :sad:

rainbow
April 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM
How is Gracie doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

And, where's the new pics? :yell:

chico2
April 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
OMG Mrs Dog,I think Gracie is very lucky to be alive,hopefully she'll recover completely:pray:

Dogastrophe
April 20th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Gracie is doing very well given the circumstances. She doesn't venture out of her room very often and is content to lay on a pillow and rest. She is eating well but still does not have her full appetite yet. As promised, here are some post-op pics:

Brrr.... why is so cold in here?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/Dogastrophe/DSCF0187.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/Dogastrophe/DSCF0190.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/Dogastrophe/DSCF0191.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/Dogastrophe/DSCF0192.jpg

Dogastrophe
April 20th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Couple of other pics I found on the camera:

Watching her buddy, Jack

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/Dogastrophe/DSCF0180.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/Dogastrophe/DSCF0179.jpg

Trying to figure out why Lucy would be so silly to jam herself into Jack's crate

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/Dogastrophe/DSCF0181.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/Dogastrophe/DSCF0182.jpg

ancientgirl
April 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM
She looks great. How long did the doctor say it would take for her to recuperate?

Love the picture of the pups.

Dogastrophe
April 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
She goes for a check up on Tuesday evening, then back on Friday to have her staples removed. I suspect that she will be back to her old self in another week or so (she was about a week following her spaying).

chico2
April 20th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Awww Mrs Dog,Gracie looks great,she is certainly a survivor..and your pups,soo adorable,especially Lucy with that kissable brown nose:lovestruck:
The little one looks really silky and soft..

Dogastrophe
April 20th, 2008, 05:38 PM
ahem, Mr. Dog doesn't like being called Mrs! :D

Jack fur, while it looks silky, is actually quite coarse feeling. It grows fast and wavey (he's actually due for a hair cut this week ... right now we can't see his eyes so we don't quite know what's going on in his little head! :laughing:)

rainbow
April 21st, 2008, 02:51 AM
ahem, Mr. Dog doesn't like being called Mrs! :D

:laughing: :laughing:

Gracie is looking really good considering all she's been through. :lovestruck: :grouphug:

I love the last pic of Lucy in Jack's crate. :D

chico2
April 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM
OMG,I am soooo sorry,MR Dog:laughing:

Dogastrophe
April 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Just a quick update on Gracie. It has now been 11 days since her surgery. We had her to the vet last Tuesday for a check up - all was well. X-rays shows that everything settled into its correct position. Her heart is slightly off center was beating well. Her left lung has inflated to almost full size while her left is around 95%.

We took her back on Friday to have her staples removed (14 in total!). Since the staples came out she has been moving around even more than in the days before. I suspect that they were a bit uncomfortable for her. Her weight is around 9lbs, 1/2lb less than before she ran into trouble.

Today she has been out and wandering several times. She is back to her typical self ... no where to be seen when I am home alone but when mom comes home she comes out from her hiding spot to pay mom a visit. :p

She is still a bit tentative jumping up and down but is improving each day. Her appetite is almost back to normal and she is drinking well. We've been keeping the gate to her room / my office up about 4 inches so she can go under it rather than over. Earlier in the week we thought that she was eating well. What we didn't realize was that Jack was sneaking off the bed during the night, cramming under the gate, and eating Gracie's food! :wall: Little booger head.

So, all in all she is well and on the road to recovery.

Cheers,

14+kitties
April 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
That is so good to hear!!! Amazing how they can bounce back from major surgery. Keep up the good work Gracie!! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
April 26th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Great news!

hazelrunpack
April 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Well, that little :evil:, Jack! Eating Gracie's food! :frustrated: :laughing: What a munchkin!

Glad to hear that Gracie has improved so quickly! Seems almost miraculous considering what she went through! :eek: Obviously her kitty guardian angel was perched on her shoulder...and her human guardian angels took good care of her, too. :angel:

I wish I could download more of the pics...my connection managed most of the first pic, then showed signs of freezing, so I hit Reply before it could complete the action...or inaction as the case might be! :laughing: Dratted phone lines! :o

Shabby
April 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Hi Dogastrophe:

Oh my!! What an ordeal your poor little Gracie has been through!! I've been off the site for a few weeks due to illness and only read the entire thread just now.

I was "awwing" through all 3 pages of posts and my heart is happy to finally learn that Gracie will be okay. Kudos to you and the Mrs. for your exemplary care and attention! The photos are sooooo cute!!

And Jack...stay out of Gracie's food!!!! lol Hmm...funny...I have two GSD's that sneak off to try and scam poor Snoopy's (cat) food! hahaha

Take care,
Shabby :dog::cat:

chico2
April 27th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Mr Dog,that is great news:thumbs up
I was concerned,it all sounded so complicated and serious,but I suppose this little girl have more strenght than we think.
Of course,having wonderful owners,willing to pull out all the stops for her,made all the difference in the world:thumbs up

Frenchy
April 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM
What we didn't realize was that Jack was sneaking off the bed during the night, cramming under the gate, and eating Gracie's food! :wall: Little booger head.

:laughing: where there's a will , there's a way :laughing:

I'm glad Gracie is doing well , no more stitches woohoo ! :thumbs up

pbpatti
April 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Way to Go Gracie, I am so glad to hear she is going to be fine, what a scare this is for you. :angel::pray:keeps improving. pbp

rainbow
April 27th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Glad to hear that Gracie's recovery has gone so well. :thumbs up

I think we need to celebrate with more pics. :D

loopoo
April 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
glad she is recovering so well.. saw the pictures what a sweetie she is:)