Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dogs scared of helicopters

make_me_yours
April 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM
i hope somebody can help me with this problem, my dog is terrified of helicopters, if one flys over in the day she will bark and have a chuntter at it, but if one flys over at night she will sit and tremble all night. she trys to get in the smallest of places and im scared she might hurt herslef, but when you talk to her she just doesnt acknowledge that your there. she is very obedient any other time. she is a welsh collie. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Love4himies
April 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but wanted to wish you luck in getting some advice.

jessi76
April 15th, 2008, 12:20 PM
do you live in an area where helicopters fly over regularly?

i'd try desensitizing to it, and associating the noise w/ something positive. play an audio tape or movie w/ helicopter sounds and reward the dog during it. (short sessions, don't make the anxiety worse)

also, be sure to ignore the noise yourself and do NOT console the dog when she's scared. don't make a big deal of it. if you console the dog (oh it's ok, shhh, there,there, don't be scared....) that is affection & attention that your dog is now associating w/ that noise, and will continue to behave that way to seek that attention.