Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats and dogs

snowflake1
April 14th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I currently have 3 cats. One of my cats acts like a dog. One of the other cats just stay away from dogs and the other one is mean to dogs. she will actually chase after them.
I had a dog for about 5.5 yrs until he passed away over a month ago. Anyways my husband and I are hoping to adopt a new dog in the future, so I am wondering what are some good ways of introducting a dog to the cats.
When we has the previous dog, when we first got him we put him the kitchen with his crate and also had a baby gate. so the cats got use to him. But the problem is with my cat that acts like a dog, he is super friendly with everyone and everything, he doesn't have a fear of walking up to an unknown dog, he has done that before.
The point of my post is, what is a good was to introducts all my cats to a new dog and not get any blood shed?!?!
Sorry if my post is confusing. I am sleepy today.

BusterKitty
April 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Search "introducing a dog to a cat" on Google or another search engine and you'll find tons of information. Most of them are about introducing a resident dog to a new cat but there must be an article somewhere to answer your question. Hope you find the answer! ^^

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I think there might be a thread somewhere here about that. I know someone will be along soon to give you the link.

sugarcatmom
April 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM
This is the link I find most useful for trying to establish dog/cat harmony: http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages/DogBehave/Articles/Cats.pdf

kashtin's kin
April 14th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hi...as usual, I come along after a few BB regulars have already given some good advice (hopefully sugarcatmom's link will be helpful to you). All I can add is it's great that you're part of the critter :cat::dog: world, alias CrittersCarers Inc., where we all spend a good part of our time and energy on our furbuddies.

Non CritterCarers just don't understand :rolleyes: challenges like integrating dogs and cats, and new 'animules' with established ones. For what it's worth, over the years I've spent assimilating critters...it all depends a lot on the personalities of the animals involved. So, the better you know your 4-legged friends, the smoother things generally go.

In terms of the new-to-your-herd beastie, of course that's always a bit more of a wild card. My one rule (for our herd) is to always take it slow and play it safe; once or twice early on I made an assumption, or trusted too soon. Luckily, those mistakes didn't result in anything too serious, but I sure learned to err on the safe side.

Even when you've had the same household of critters for quite a while, things can change with aging and other factors. I guess we are all sort of 'home pet psychologists', as we analyze situations/personalities; it's so automatic that we aren't even aware we're doing it half the time.

Since you're an experienced CritterCarer, and you're also smart enough to post on here to see what other people may do/suggest :D, it sounds like things will work out. Good luck with everything, and let the BB know how it goes.

p.s. maybe there should be a support group for people who have furbuddies who think they belong to another species i.e. cat behaving like dog etc. I'd be really worried if one of my ponies thought she was a dog, or even a human...wait a minute, I think one of them already does (pony eats cat food, and has stood in the doorway :eek:)!!