Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teeth brushing question?

kalola
April 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hi guys, I was wondering how many of you brush your dog's teeth and what you use?

I started out brushing my Sheltie pups teeth when they were about 4 months old, they are 9 months old now. I tried using the thingy you put over your finger but it didn't work to well so I use a human baby tooth brush. It's getting kinda small to use and was wondering what you all use? Also would like to know what type of paste you use if any.

My Pom hates to have his teeth brushed and its not an easy task with him as his mouth is so tiny.
I had his teeth cleaned by our vet about 9 months ago and have tried to keep them clean but they are starting to get bad already!:wall::wall::wall:
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really don't like to have this little guy put out to have his teeth cleaned but want to do something before it gets worse.
Our dogs rarely get treats and are fed a high end kibble.
Thanks for you help!

hazelrunpack
April 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I brush the dogs' teeth every day. We use flat, regular-sized brushes--but our dogs are between 33 and 60 pounds, so we can get away with a standard brush size. You might need something a little smaller.

We use CET enzymatic toothpaste--they don't care for the vanilla/mint or malt flavors, but they go gaga over the poultry flavor.

Our newest, Grace, is also not fond of getting her teeth cleaned. Unfortunately, hers are the worst of the bunch. I'm gradually getting her to tolerate it better, just by dint of the fact that she gets it done every day, and because she's catching on to the fact that if she lets me brush longer, she gets a treat afterward. :dog:

t.pettet
April 14th, 2008, 10:24 PM
There are brushes made by CET that are available at pet stores or vets, they're long (5 inch) with a tiny head of bristles, perfect for tiny mouths. The chicken flavoured tooth paste is preferred by my dogs (pom & pom/poodle mixes) and they all want to be the 1st. so I make the whole process seem like a tasty treat/reward rather than a hateful job. Start off with a few swipes of the brush eventually leading up to a thorough brushing with lots of praise.

rainbow
April 15th, 2008, 02:56 AM
We use the C.E.T. toothbrushes and toothpaste (poultry flavour) as well.

jessi76
April 15th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I use a double tooth brush (big on one end, small on the other) and the poultry flavored paste. the brush comes with the paste as a set, I'm really not sure what the brand is.

SnowDancer
April 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Well, I do buy the C.E.T. poulty toothpaste - my American Eskimo loves it - thinks of it as a "cookie" spread on a Kong ball (with ridges). I have tried the finger glove etc. - and every toothbrush available - with the inevitable result that he pulls the toothbrush further and further into his mouth so that I am left hardly holding anything. Eskies have good teeth but like some people are prone to tartar. My guy is 4 and had his teeth vet cleaned in Oct. and by Jan. the tartar was building again. His vet told me same thing happened to her after only 3 weeks. El eats an excellent diet, but tartar builds - particularly on the top and bottom side teeth in his longish face - much like the Sheltie of course - and Eskies are cousins to the Pom. I expect he will have to have his teeth cleaned every year. I even tried one of those smoked bone things - turned him into Cujo. Not going to happen again. I also tried the C.E.T. bar - it was gone in 2 seconds and came out in 3 chunks 3 days later.