Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you know you've rescued?

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I was wondering about something. Yesterday I was talking to a friend of mine and the subject of rescuing and adopting came up.

She told me she rescued her pups. Her first she got from the Humane Society a few days before he was to be euthanized for lack of space, and the other she took in from a former co-worker who could no longer could keep her dog after she moved.

She told me I couldn't consider my kitties as rescues since I got them all from vet's offices. That kind of bothered me since none of my babies had homes and their prospect for getting homes were pretty bad, except Oksana, since I got her from my current vet and she was well taken care of. She's the only one I actually paid to adopt. Vlad, Maks and Kiska were in terrible shape, even though I got them from a vet's office. They were just given to me with carrier and all.

I've always considered all of them rescues. Now I wonder, what constitutes a rescue as apposed to an adoption? Same thing? Different things?

Opinions please.

Winston
April 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM
You know everyone has an opinion and thats just it! an opinon! But I think that whatever you do to help save an animal is a rescue! You can be rest assured that your little ones may never have been rescued considering the shape they were in! and could have very well have been a case of euthanazia... Look at how many kitties are out there that are euthanized each day! Getting one off the street, or in a home, or some food to eat, or a vet to take care of it I think are alll ways to rescue!

I am unable to take fosters into my home at this time but I am actively involved in helping people find dogs, give advise, even assist with rehoming! All of this to me is rescue work! I even consider giving people advise a way of rescueing! because sometimes they listen to what you have to say and it helps them make an appropriate decision rather than ending up making a mistake!

Am I making any sense? or just babbling?

Cindy

Love4himies
April 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
To me they are the same thing. You have rescued them from a life behind bars (and for sure you rescued Maks and Kiska and probably saved their lives). I did not rescue Puddles, she was adopted from a breeder, but I do consider Jasper and Sweet Pea as me rescuing them from the SPCA (one a no kill the other possibly a kill shelter).

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Winston, you made sense. I wish I could foster, but I just have no room, and I'd have no place to keep them in order to acclimatise them all. I always tell anyone who gives me an opening the pros of rescuing at a shelter. I just wish I could do more.

Love4himies, it brings tears to my eyes when I think of what might have happened to Maks or Kiska had I not stopped that day. I can't even think about it without having to just stop and try to calm myself down.

I really got angry when my friend said that. The only one in healthy condition when I got them was Oksana. My friend doesn't realize that not all vets offices are open to caring for an animal left on their doorstep, Maks, Kiska and Vlad are proof of that.

Love4himies
April 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
"Rescue" is a word with different meanings to different people. Doesn't mean you rescued them from "death" per say (even though I think you may have with M & K). Sorry I don't know the history of Vlad and Oksana.

You have done lots, ancientgirl, you have given 4 homeless cats a wonderful life and another who knows you are her guardian angel and will look out for her for the rest of her life.:angel2:

You know inside you are these kitties saviour, doesn't matter what anybody else thinks.

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Thank you, that means a lot to me to hear that.

Vlad was found at the same vet's office as Maks and Kiska. He was 8 weeks old. When I took hold of him he was shaking and just so tiny and nobody wanted him because he was black. They told me they'd given him shots and to bring him back two weeks later, then gave me a carrier and asked if I wanted to make an appointment for him. I made an appointment but took him to the only other vet clinic I'd remembered about, which was about 10 minutes from where I live now. They're a little pricey, but they are open 24 hours 7 days a week and have a great staff. The doctor took one look at Vlad and told me he was full of fleas, and had the worst case of ear mites she'd ever seen. It took almost 3 months to clear his ears up and I had to leave him with them overnight because I had to fog my entire apartment so he wouldn't get fleas again. Oksana was lucky enough to have fallen into their hands. I picked her out of a litter of 3, her brother and sister were also adopted immediately. She was the only one who I took home healthy, with shots and an adoption certificate. I couldn't even take her home until she was 12 weeks.

Jim Hall
April 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
thats easy an adoption ois when you get a healthy cat with no problems a rescue is when you have to spend the $$ on the vet getting them healthy

CyberKitten
April 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
AGirl, you rescued four cats who needed a good home and you gave them that and more! You gave them your love, your caring and everything they need to be healthy, mature, sociable, happy and cared for kitties. That is RESCUE big time. Your friend has an opinion but it is wrong - for whatever reason, she my be jealous or merely unbknowledgeable, but she has to know the state that last three were in. Given their condition in an SPCA shelter -even from a veterinary clinic, they would not have don well and would have been open to infection and who knows what. In my opinion you saved every one of those cats; lives and you deserve credit for that. Even Oksana- who was in good health - may have not done well after awhile. No one can tell the future tho.

So tell your friend you have rescued your cats- I'd say given the circumstances- even more than she has. We all rescue in different ways and places and times. She adopted one from the Humane Society - she has no way of knowing if that cat would have been adopted. unless it is a no kill shelter. You on the other hand have every reason to believe that given the health of your last three, you really did in fact save them from almost certain death in an SPCA kill shelter! And even in ant shelter with so many diseases, they might not have made it without your love and attention and care! Don't listen to her - listen to your heart and the wonderful meows of those lovely and adorable kitties who bring you great joy!

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Thank you CyberKitten. I think she might have said what she did partly out of jealousy and a bit of anger. She is the one I mentioned in another thread who doesn't want to neuter her one dog because she's afraid of having him put under. And I was telling her again she should get him neutered. I think saying what she said was her way of making me feel badly, which kind of worked. Rescue, adopt, whatever you call it, I know how hard it is to adopt healthy kittens out, so knowing mine weren't healthy, I don't know what would have happened to them had they been left.

My friend is always telling me I spend too much money on them. From paying too much money for their spay/neuter to taking them in for any little thing I worry about, to buying the toys. I don't consider giving them quality care in a place I feel comfortable with knowing they will treat my cats like their wrong. Yes, it's been difficult at times on my pocketbook, but they are all healthy and I'm thankful for that. And I might buy them a lot of stuff, but I love doing it. Okay, maybe there are more beds than cats but so what? I don't have kids, and at this point in my life I don't think I'll ever have them or want them, so these little kitties are it for me and spoiling them is a pleasure for me. Heck, I'm going to try to save as much money as I can so that maybe in a year or two I can afford to maybe buy a townhouse or a small house, something with a small yard so I can build them a nice enclosure so they can roam outside in safety.

And at that time, maybe I can even have the room to rescue more kitties!

kiara
April 14th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Any cat that is homeless, to me is considered a rescue. It could be from a vet's or a legitimate rescue group. Sometimes you can get them for free and other times you have to pay. It often depends on the circumstances of the situation. Just another comment to add, I think your friend needs to get a life, Ha! Ha!

dmc123
April 14th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Any cat that is homeless, to me is considered a rescue. It could be from a vet's or a legitimate rescue group. Sometimes you can get them for free and other times you have to pay. It often depends on the circumstances of the situation.

kiara, I think that was well said.

All of mine, except Cody (almost 17) I consider rescues. Rudy was adopted during a shelter adoption day. Delaney was adopted from a shelter. The girls, Harley and Huxley were from a litter of 7 - none had homes - they were begging folks to take a solid black kitty or two. The Quads, I adopted from a cat I couldn't get fixed in time. Simon was adopted/allowed to live here after someone dropped him off in front of the house. Spaz was put out by neighbors, and we guess Gray was also. Holly, was also adopted along with her sister Tilly (the mom to the quads). They all have different stories.

Now they are mine, rescued, adopted, whatever you want to call it. They may not have had homes otherwise.

As for Cody, he has a bobtail, and they usually get adopted quick because they are unusual. My friend was the owner of his mama and I got first pick was back in 1991.

Just sharing my stories....
Diane

Frenchy
April 14th, 2008, 08:26 PM
A rescue to me is this : giving a second chance to an animal.

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Dmc123, holy cow, I didn't realize you had that many! I thought you only had a few. You guys that have so many are saints!

Frenchy, I like how you put it. Giving a second chance is what I and many of us have done. A second chance that had we not stepped in, there may not have been a third.:sad:

dmc123
April 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Dmc123, holy cow, I didn't realize you had that many! I thought you only had a few. You guys that have so many are saints!

Frenchy, I like how you put it. Giving a second chance is what I and many of us have done. A second chance that had we not stepped in, there may not have been a third.:sad:

Yep, got that many but not a saint! They give more to me than I give them. I also love what Frenchy said -giving a second chance.

Diane

14+kitties
April 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Frenchy - I love the way you put it. And you are right.
ancient - Sometimes we have to take what our "friends" say with a grain of salt. I think she was trying to find a way to justify not getting her dog fixed by trying to make you feel small. Don't let her succeed.
I have a "friend" who recently told me no way would she spend the kind of money I have spent on any animal. But she just spent three weeks in Mexico and is planning on going back for 4 or 5 weeks next year. I say more power to her, if that is what she wants. I am doing what I want. :shrug:

krdahmer
April 14th, 2008, 11:51 PM
You are most definitely a rescuer and a kitty :angel2:!!

I literally rescued 5 out of my 6 from dangerous, life threatening and bleak futures. And those 5 are no more 'rescued' than my Windy whom I purchased at a pet store! I rescued her too, from a possible life with a person who could have abused her, or neglected her or turned her out when they found out the real costs of having a cat!

I think that all of us who have pets that we love and care for have rescued them.... we've rescued them from the possibility that they could have ended up somewhere unloved and uncared for! :grouphug::thumbs up

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM
14+kitties, the more I thought about it the more angry I got at her gall. Not saying she doesn't love her dogs, but I've known her to to go out partying after work, only to come home late in the evening, after her dogs have been crated all day. I've never seen rhyme nor reason for that. I'm not against crating, if it's done right but it's always bothered me that she's left them in their crate for such long periods of time. When I first got Vlad, she told me it wasn't a good idea to let him have the run of the house. I told her I wasn't going to leave him in some crate all day with no room to play, especially if I got home late sometimes. That bothered her, but hey, it's the way I feel. I can't imagine shutting them all in some box all day. Heck, as it is they sleep most of the day away.

krdahmer, I know I shouldn't, but I sometimes sit and wonder where they all might be if they weren't with me. I'm lucky they are all healthy, but even so, it's cost me a good bit of money, between S/N and vaccines, and check-ups, food, litter. It's not easy, but it's a sacrifice a lot of us make because they give us so much love and trust. There are moments, when I'm short of money and I think, yes I could have extra had I not chosen to have so many cats, but then I see them sleeping, or playing or feel them purring next to me and looking at me, I know it's worth it. I love waking up in the middle of the night and feeling one little body against me here, another there and another next to my head. I love it.

Hello, my name is ancientgirl, and I'm a kitty rescuer.:)

14+kitties
April 15th, 2008, 09:06 AM
14+kitties, the more I thought about it the more angry I got at her gall.

But see, if you allow her to get you that upset she IS succeeding in what she wants to make you feel. I know it is very difficult but.... let it wash off your back. Don't let her win.

Btw - I don't consider any of mine rescues. They just are here, where they should be.

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2008, 09:24 AM
That's one of my biggest problems, it's hard for me to let things like that go. I have to learn to ignore it, since not ignoring it and stewing is partly to blame for my anxiety issues.

14+kitties
April 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
That's one of my biggest problems, it's hard for me to let things like that go. I have to learn to ignore it, since not ignoring it and stewing is partly to blame for my anxiety issues.

Want me to send you some of Mylee's stolen earplugs? :D

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2008, 11:33 AM
LOL, if I didn't have Tinnitus I'd happily accept them.

cockermother
April 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Absolutely rescue! ANY animal that needs a home is a rescue unless you buy it healthy from a breeder. And that goes from picking up a stray on the street to getting from a no-kill shelter.

Btw: the "paying" for a healthy animal from a shelter isn't purchase for the animal. It's a donation to the center for the animal's care and/or future upkeep of other animals. My dog Flap was a bargain special because he was 8 years old and had slim adoption chances- such animals were called "rescues" not even "adoptions" (I think shelters use this term as it is less emotionally charged.)

Besides, when you take in a homeless animal, you prevent it from taking a place (permanent, semi-permanent or temporary) in a shelter which another animal needs. As far as I'm concerned, every time you take in an animal it's a double-save.

Jim Hall
April 17th, 2008, 08:22 AM
to quote a beatles song " And in the end the love you the love you take is equal to the love you make "

ancientgirl
April 17th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Ah, the Beatles. Quite true Jim.

FancyAppy
April 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Rescue, adoption..both words have the same outcome. An unwanted pet is given a second chance at a wonderful life free from suffering, hunger and untreated illness. You are a rescuer, rescuing these unwanted furries and giving them a happy life where they are cherished and loved.
Thank you for what you do, have done and will do for all the unwanted furries lucky enough to join your family.

ancientgirl
April 23rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Thank you. Your words made me all misty eyed. I sometimes think, I haven't done enough, especially when I read how many pets others on this board have and have helped. But, I'm doing what I can right now. In the future, if my financial and living situations improves, then I'd love to do more. But I think no matter how much we do, we will always think it's never enough.:sad:

krdahmer
April 23rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
I sometimes think, I haven't done enough, especially when I read how many pets others on this board have and have helped. But, I'm doing what I can right now. In the future, if my financial and living situations improves, then I'd love to do more. But I think no matter how much we do, we will always think it's never enough.:sad:

I feel exactly the same way. I can't wait until I can do more. Right now though everytime I see a cat wandering outside or one of those sad doggy faces in the spca commercials, I just feel so overwhelmed. :sad: Then I go find one of mine and pick them up and sqeeze them and kiss them lots and promise them one day I will do more. :o

ancientgirl
April 23rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
OMG, this is horrible, but I change the channel when those commercials come on. I just can't watch them. I know the horrible situation they are dealing but it's too hard for me to watch.

I look at my gang, and sometimes wonder where they would be if they weren't with me, which makes me even more depressed!

I dream of the day when I can afford to buy or rent a small house, and I'd build a little kitty enclosure in the back that allows them to go in and out of the house on their own and be safe from running away. And bring in a few more kitties and be able to at least foster some. And maybe even get a dog or two!

*sigh* All the money I see rich people wasting on stupid purses and shoes and million dollar mansions they hardly ever live in, and me here just wishing I had a little more money and space to make the life of just a few animals better. I tell you, there has to be a bank I can rob and not get caught:D

glasslass
April 23rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
thats easy an adoption is when you get a healthy cat with no problems a rescue is when you have to spend the $$ on the vet getting them healthy

Then there are the people that "rescue" from a shelter and end up giving them back because they have problems! You for sure rescued your furbabies. You gave your caring, your love, and your resources to make their lives better.

krdahmer
April 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
*sigh* All the money I see rich people wasting on stupid purses and shoes and million dollar mansions they hardly ever live in, and me here just wishing I had a little more money and space to make the life of just a few animals better. I tell you, there has to be a bank I can rob and not get caught:D

:highfive: I think some of 'those' people would rather wipe their arses with their money than share it with others.... it's just sad. My first thought when I have the 'if only I had some money, or won some money' daydreams is always wow, just imagine all the animals I could help.

ancientgirl
April 24th, 2008, 08:38 AM
People like us, all of those here on this board are just a different breed. We've opened our hearts to living beings which can't thank us with money or words, but with love and that's enough for us. So much so, that we want to give other less fortunate animals the opportunity to be happy and not know what it is to suffer. Sadly, I can't say that about a lot of people I've known and met in my life.

I've found that people who have empathy for animals are better than the average person who wouldn't look at a suffering animal twice.

As I've grown older, I have found my requirement for sizing up a person is based on how they feel about animals. Because if you can't be kind to an animal, what kind of a person will you be in your daily life?

This morning I got a little nuzzle from Maks and Vlad and it made my day. Oksana slept a few hours against me, and when I felt her I smiled. And Kiska's little nips and licks to my hand made me laugh. Simple things yes, but I treasure them.:cloud9: