Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brown vaginal discharge in dog

Corgipaws
April 14th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Hello my name is Lacey and I have a 3 year old Welsh Corgi named Daisy Duke that is spayed and is having a bown/reddish discharge. It's been going on for a month now. I've been cleaner her privates every day with baby wipes and and the same time she is having allergies around her inner thighs. I've been doing some research and I think it might be vagintitis. But i just want to get other peoples opinions. Cause right now i'm a full time college student and i don't much money and I don't want to take a trip to the vet when i'd waste 2 weeks of food money or gas money >.> So i don't know i need some second advice. And like to know if anyone has had this happen to their dog and if there is anything i can do on my own to treat it. Thank you for your time.
Lacey and Daisy Duke

Love4himies
April 14th, 2008, 07:04 AM
If you suspect an infection, then you would need antibiotics to clear it up. Always best not to risk it getting any worse and take to the vet as soon as you can.

kalola
April 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Just wondering how your dog is doing?
My sheltie Maggie had a simular problem at 4 months old. Took her to my vet and was prescribed an anti biotic and it cleared up right away.
In Maggie's case it was Vaginitis. Maggie would also pee all the time.

Corgipaws
April 15th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Just wondering how your dog is doing?
My sheltie Maggie had a simular problem at 4 months old. Took her to my vet and was prescribed an anti biotic and it cleared up right away.
In Maggie's case it was Vaginitis. Maggie would also pee all the time.

It seems like it's not effecting her that much. But she is dragging her legs and licking a lot. I clean her every day in that area. Yea Daisy has "leaks" but she hates going outside to pee. But thats always been her thing. I'm just curious. how much was the antibiotic the vet gave you just so i can be prepared when i go. I hope that its just antibiotics cause i don't like giving her to much and stressing her out. Thanks for the reply. At least I know i'm not the only one.

rainbow
April 15th, 2008, 02:47 AM
If your dog is dragging her legs and has as infection I would be taking her to the vet asap.

Corgipaws
April 16th, 2008, 04:09 AM
If your dog is dragging her legs and has as infection I would be taking her to the vet asap.

Its hard to tell cause i've talked to other corgi owners and their corgi does the same thing. She's done it her whole life so its kinda hard to tell if its a bad situation. but as soon as i get paid i'm taking her.

bethaliz
April 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
It could be a yeast type infection. I know by breeder has a kitchen dog who get's them all the time. She's a bitch from another breeder that she bought to bring new blood into her lines. She got two really nice litters out of her, but had to spay her, because she was consistantly getting yeast infections. Her under arms and between her back legs would turn a reddish brown colour, she had goopy brownish discharge. She hoped that spaying her would help her from keep getting them, but it hasn't. Now she's a happy pet, but they keep reoccuring. She gets treated for yeast infections (antibiotics) has a special shampoo to try and clear up her arms and between her legs. She also get a special talcum powder that my breeder has to put on everyday, it's supposed to keep her dry to stop it from reocurring.

I'm not sure where you're located, but I know here, that the trip to the vet cost about $60 and the antibiotic's they typically precribe here are typically about $50. They may also ask for a urine sample which is $50. So, here anyway, it would cost $110 - 160 plus taxes. That's not bad. I just spent over $600 at the vet and we still have to go back for more. Being a college student, I totally feel you're pain.

I wish you all the best and hope you baby is feeling better soon

kalola
April 16th, 2008, 06:13 PM

I agree with Rainbow, PLEASE take your dog to a vet.

rainbow
April 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Corgipaws, how is Daisy Duke?