Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flying with dogs

crochetdiva
April 13th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Has anyone flown from Canada to the USA with dogs? I have two small dogs and need to know how to go about transporting them. I know Westjet allows dogs in soft sided kennels under seats, or in a hard sided kennel in the cargo section.

Any advise?? Should I get something from the vet to sedate them so they don't panic?

rainbow
April 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I have never flown with pets but I've heard that you should not sedate them at all.

duttypaws
April 13th, 2008, 06:43 PM
i agree with rainbow... from what ive read etc sedating isnt the way to go.
I know most places are changing to in cargo only (but i have only looked to the UK)
Your best bet is to call the airline and ask what they want.

unconditional
April 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
i would drive with my dog before i put my dog in the belly of an airplane ( to avoid traumatizing the animal) you know when there's turbulence and it's down there in an unfamilliar territory with no one to comfort him or her just the luggages in the cabin under your seat i wouldn't this is my opinion

jealma
April 13th, 2008, 09:31 PM
My daughter and I flew from Syracuse to Ancorage with her shih tzu. We had him in a soft sided carrier and took him on board as a carry on. There was an extra fee for him. He was pretty good but very nervous on desending and asending. She brought him from Anchorage to Ottawa in the same manner. A certificate of health had to be provided for him to cross the boarder and also an up todate rabbies shot. The reason we flew out of Syracuse was it was at that time cheaper for us to cross the boarder and fly out from there ( we are only an hour from the boarder) so it wasn't a big deal. She didn't seem to have any trouble bringing him across or the flying. She did not use any seditives on him since shih tzu's tend to have breathing troubles anyways and she did not want to compromise him in anyway, but you could ask a vet, some may say benalyn is ok. Hope that was of some help. You must leave them in the carrier at all times and under the seat infront of you,, ( we got put our hand in the top and would pet him to comfort him.)

Corrie
April 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM
My little Westie, Charlotte, and I have traveled many times from Toronto to Florida with no problems at all. She flys in the cabin with me in a very stylish carrying case!!!

I would second the folks who are saying no to sedating your dog…my Vet explained that even the holistic stuff they give for claming dogs down can prevent them from regulating their body temperature, and that is a big problem. I had her rabies certificate all ready, but no one even asked to see it.

The biggest problem I have is when we get to the security section, they ask you to take the dog out of the carrier and walk thru the x-ray with her in your arms as the carry case goes thru the scanner…well Charlotte is saying “Yes…I’m free!!”” and I am saying “No…now get back in the case!” You should have seen her face thru the mesh of her case…like I had hurt her beyond words!!!

She sits at my feet for the take off and landing, but other than that she sits on my lap or on my tray (in her case of course!) for the flight. She behaves MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than most kids on the flight! Does not make a sound, just chills out till we arrive in Florida and she gets to go pee on a palm tree!

aslan
April 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I could be mistaken but i thought air canada just lost a law suit so they have to allow you to take small dogs onto the plane with you. Somewhere in here is a posting about it.

Corrie
April 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Aslan...no the info you are thinking of is cargo...Air Canada will now change their policy that animals may fly as cargo....but they will not allow pets in the cabin

diandpat
April 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Actually, they were flying them as cargo. The suit they lost requires them to fly kenneled animals as baggage on the same flight.

West Jet allows small animals in the cabin.

crochetdiva
April 17th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Actually, they were flying them as cargo. The suit they lost requires them to fly kenneled animals as baggage on the same flight.

West Jet allows small animals in the cabin.

It was actually West Jet that I would be taking. But I think I have decided to postpone the trip and maybe even do it by road (argh 2000 miles). But I don't think I could handle two scared dogs and two young children by myself on two different planes. Call me a wimp, lol.
It would be tough on those with allergies to share a cabin with an animal. Before my oldest daughter finished her first year of allergy shots she would have been a mess on the plane with cats or dogs.