Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help!!

katherine93
April 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Hey there.. im new here.. One of my male mice has got something wrong with him. He sounds as though he is sneezing all the time. And he isnt himself. He is always laying down. And hes kinda walking funny..with his back all hunched up. His fur looks wet arond his face but it doesnt feel wet? My mom is a vet and our animals vet but her and my dad are gone on vacation for 2 weeks and i am staying with my grandma. Grandma says he may have an RI? does that sound accerate? i know this is a dog and cat forum but pleaee help if you can. He is only 1 year old and i would hate if something bad happened. should i try to find another vet for now?

zarhad
April 13th, 2008, 06:39 PM
what type of bedding do you use? pine and wood chips are dangerous because it can cause respiratory problems i is a major issue in mice and rats.
that will cause them to weeze, if thats the case change the bedding immeditily put shredded paper or something like that and also try and insure lots of clean fresh water to help encourage them to drink, fluids r vital...also if u have water let it wit in a glass container sometimes the chemicals in tap water can bother animals becasue they can smell the chemicals and dont like it but after sitting for a few hours the smell passes.

katherine93
April 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Thank you! i have switched his shavings to newspaper scraps. Do i have to do anything else or will he get better on his own?

Jim Hall
April 15th, 2008, 07:23 PM
i would still try to find a vet i am sure your mom or dad know one or look a few up in the phone book

satchelp
April 15th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Had a gerbil with very similar symptoms and it was as respiratory infection. She was given some subcutaneous fluids and an antibiotic shot as well as a couple of weeks of oral antibiotics. The bedding may have triggered it in her case, and it was promptly changed, but she the antibiotics were necessary.

katherine93
April 16th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I made an appointement for him on monday (its the earliest he could take him) And its with an exotic vet so i am pretty comfortable with bringing him to this vet. Wish us luck!

hazelrunpack
April 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Good luck, katherine! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Good luck from me too, Katherine.....I hope he will be okay. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

kalola
April 17th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Hoping your little guy will be OK!

katherine93
April 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Thank you all!! Im getting so anxious to bring him in! Hes seems to be getting bettter since i changed his bedding. But i still realy want him to see the vet!

katherine93
April 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Well the vet turned out to be a complete A**h***. He said there was nothing worng with him:frustrated: Funny thing is even me a 15 year old, can figure out that hes sick! omg! ugh i also brought in my German shepherd becaouse his hip randomly started hurting the other day and i wanted to get it checked out. He refused to look at him because he thinks im just paranoid. I swear, when my parents get home, he is going to get a earfull ! ugh.. So mad! what to do in the meantime? :eek:

ancientgirl
April 22nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Wow, I'm sorry you have such a jerk for a vet. Definitely look for someone else, with more manners too!

I hope you little mouse gets better, although hopefully having changed his bedding at least seems to have helped him for now.

As for your dog, once you have a more caring vet I'm sure they will figure out what's bothering him.

Please keep us posted!

ETA, Yikes, sorry I just re-read your post and noticed your mom is a vet.

aslan
April 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Katherine aren't your parents only gone for a few more days. Your mom will look after your little ones when she gets back. It sounds like little mr. mouse is feeling better, so just keep his bedding clean til mom gets home. I have to say your alot more responsible for your pets at 15 than alot of adults are, be proud of that.

oh, my partner is from newfoundland and wants to know where abouts your from, concerned about the coyotes now, cause at some point were moving back there.

katherine93
April 22nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
i live in central newfoundland.. I doubt if i told you the town you would know it because im around the lewisporte area.. but still pretty far away from that..even more in the country side!! lol

rainbow
April 22nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
I agree...that vet is a total jerk. :frustrated: Perhaps you should complain to the veterinary college there....

http://www.cahi-icsa.ca/comm-resource-bodies.php

aslan
April 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
i live in central newfoundland.. I doubt if i told you the town you would know it because im around the lewisporte area.. but still pretty far away from that..even more in the country side!! lol

lol, i probably wouldn't know it but grace would. She's from St.Theresa's which is around Stephenville. haha, but i have google earth so, i can find anywhere.

katherine93
April 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=aslan;583442] I have to say your alot more responsible for your pets at 15 than alot of adults are, be proud of that. QUOTE]

Thank you very much..its probably because i was raised in a very animal friendly enviroment.. We beleive that animals are people too and deserve just as much love and care as any human being. haha i cant even count how many stray little kittens i've brought home and helped my mom nurse back to health..Accually max my Orange tabby is one of the strays!

aslan
April 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
So is it possible the rock will be getting a new and responsible vet in the future.

katherine93
April 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
haha VERY possible! lol.. Ive already been looking at the university in PEI and im already excited about it...I really hope i can get in!!

rainbow
April 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Good luck :fingerscr .......you would make a great vet. :goodvibes:

katherine93
April 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
thank you ! :D But i still have another three years to go until i can even apply :p

rainbow
April 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah, but it will go quickly. I imagine there is a waiting list to get into vet school. How long before you graduate can you apply?

katherine93
April 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Im not entirely sure the earliest you can apply . But i know i would have to apply BEFORE christmas of grade 12.

rainbow
April 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Their website says they take 42 students from all the Atlantic provinces each year .....

http://www.upei.ca/registrar/2_prevet_stream

Is that where your mom went?

katherine93
April 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
yes she did:)

katherine93
April 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
they accepted there first class in 86' and my mom was accepted in 87'

katherine93
April 28th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Poor Poor willis didnt wake up this morning when i went to put food in for him:( Im soo sad:( Ugh i cried for like ever this morning . Im glad hes out of his misery though. Mom gave him a shot yesterday but i guess it didnt work for him..he was probably to far along in his sickness. Well im going to bury him soon. with his favorite toys. so pray that he goes to the best place possible and is able to run around free of pain.

R.I.P little boy! Mommy loves you! :rip: handsome :angel: in heaven :cry:

rainbow
April 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM
OH NO :sad: I was hoping that he would pull through after you changed his bedding.

I am so sorry Katherine. :grouphug: :candle:

katherine93
April 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I know, i was hoping he would too. But things took a turn for the worst. And his cagemates are scurrying around the cage trying to find him. Its so sad to watch. :(

ancientgirl
April 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I'm so sorry! I thought with the change in his bedding he'd be okay.

You took good care of him and he was loved, and you can be happy knowing he felt that love.

:rip::candle::grouphug:

MOOSEDRY
April 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
i'm so sorry for your loss. thank goodness your little mouse had someone as wonderful as you to love him and care for him.

rip, little guy.

tracy :candle:

dodecaphonie
April 28th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I just read your thread and I was hoping that it would end with a good news. I am very sorry to hear about this sad news.
I send you a hug and kisses xxx
:grouphug:

katherine93
April 30th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Thank you all for supporting me! It was very much needed!

Winston
April 30th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Run free to the bridge little one!!
RIP Willis!

I would love to see some pics of all those furry animals you have!

Cindy