Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Favourite toy?

duttypaws
April 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM
so while watching lola play with the worlds most expensive cat toy :p. (a grape)... i got thinking what other peoples pets like to play with....

zarhad
April 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM
my cat likes to play with keychains if leave keys on the ground she goes nuts over them...

hazelrunpack
April 13th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Our dogs think empty cores from rolls of paper towels are just the best things to play with. :rolleyes: They love to shred them into tiny little spittle-sodden pieces that stick to the carpet and won't vacuum up for love nor money... :frustrated:

Can you tell that the tubes are not hazel's favorite toys? :o

:laughing:

Melinda
April 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
*looks in the basket holding all of Brina's expensive toys and gimmicks....* her favorite???? an empty water bottle, you "kill" the cover and toss it aside, then you wait till daddy (who's partially deaf) gets really interested in a tv program, then you take it to your bed beside him and proceed to chew it......:laughing:

Winston
April 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Cats love the tin foil from cigarette packs..:laughing:

duttypaws
April 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Our dogs think empty cores from rolls of paper towels are just the best things to play with. :rolleyes: They love to shred them into tiny little spittle-sodden pieces that stick to the carpet and won't vacuum up for love nor money... :frustrated:

Can you tell that the tubes are not hazel's favorite toys? :o

ah yes my dog does this back at my mums he also loves tissues.... :frustrated: basically anything that can get soggy and upset my mother! ... he went through a phase of socks too!!

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Mine all love to play in empty boxes. They also like these plastic curly things I get at the pet store. Not really expensive stuff and they love them. I just got them a new kitty teaser and I realized I can make it myself. So next time, instead of spending like $4.00 for one, I can buy materials for several for that same price and they'll love it.

duttypaws
April 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
i know the springy thing you mean its like a mini mini slinky?! I saw a remote control mouse the other day but well a grape provides as much stimulation!:frustrated:

zarhad
April 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
yah ive bought soooo many toys and i mean she likes this 1 mouse on the string that cleverly can be attached to the door ive seen sum that attach to the top of a door too...but besides that for the most part she seems to like the boxes better....really rustrating...

On and moving boxes....i actually built a little house from some and cut doors and windowns n stuff that she can push open with her head...i had that for a little while (what an eye sore) but she loved it

rainbow
April 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
so while watching lola play with the worlds most expensive cat toy :p. (a grape)... i got thinking what other peoples pets like to play with....

i know the springy thing you mean its like a mini mini slinky?! I saw a remote control mouse the other day but well a grape provides as much stimulation!:frustrated:

Just be careful that she doesn't eat the grape.

From http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm ...

Grapes and Raisins

These foods' toxicity has mainly been found in dogs, in quantities of varying amounts. The ASPCA advises: "As there are still many unknowns with the toxic potential of grapes and raisins, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises not giving grapes or raisins to pets in any amount." That's good enough for me.

duttypaws
April 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
nah i pick them up after they have been flicked about for a few minutes... she moves onto the cottonbuds/nailfile/tapemeasure/ribbon quickly...

rainbow
April 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
i know the springy thing you mean its like a mini mini slinky?!

And, about the mini slinky....my cats love those. :thumbs up They were about $3 for a package of six. :D

rainbow
April 13th, 2008, 06:34 PM
nah i pick them up after they have been flicked about for a few minutes... she moves onto the cottonbuds/nailfile/tapemeasure/ribbon quickly...

:laughing: you won't have to spend lots of $$$ on cat toys then. :D

Emery boards are another favourite here. :D

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
When I buy soda or finish with eggs, I throw the boxes and the egg carton on the floor. Hours of entertainment right there.

duttypaws
April 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM

well she grips the nail file... and i move it about .. (smooths her really sharp nails!!!)....

rainbow
April 13th, 2008, 06:50 PM
well she grips the nail file... and i move it about .. (smooths her really sharp nails!!!)....

:laughing: yep....perfect toy for a cat. :D

duttypaws
April 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM
:laughing: yep....perfect toy for a cat. :D

seems to have worked her nails are a little smoother.... :frustrated: i dont have as many scratches on my leg as i did 3 weeks ago!!!... and ive started to find nail shells all over the apartment floor

14+kitties
April 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Mine love those small sponge balls. A pack of 4 are cheap. Walmart I think. And earplugs! Lots of earplugs. :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM
:eek:Emery boards! That's genius!!!!

duttypaws
April 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
yep she clings onto it and i sort of wiggle it about so i can file some nails.

Frenchy
April 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Try giving her an olive instead of a grape :D they usually go nuts for it.

Frenchy
April 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM
They love to shred them into tiny little spittle-sodden pieces that stick to the carpet and won't vacuum up for love nor money... :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
April 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Man, I wish that ingenious emery board idea would work with 50-pound dogs!!! I did all their nails today and oh, my aching back! :yell:

zarhad
April 13th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Try giving her an olive instead of a grape :D they usually go nuts for it.

My cat practilly does back flips for olives....yet cat nip does nothing...:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Black or green olives?

zarhad
April 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Black or green olives?

I've only tried Green Olives (o)

growler~GateKeeper
April 13th, 2008, 11:07 PM

Duffy LOVES Emery boards even chewing abit on them :D She also loves the laser pointer especially when all the lights are off in the room, her most favorite is a white knitted mouse (no catnip in it) that a friend of my mum's made for her & my :rip: Mischief

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Man, I wish that ingenious emery board idea would work with 50-pound dogs!!! I did all their nails today and oh, my aching back! :yell:

Maybe if you got a little piece of wood and put some sandpaper on it:shrug:

aslan
April 14th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Quincy loves water bottles, with or without water in them he's not fussy, we prefer without. Bailley's bestest toy is a large rock that sits outside waiting for his attention.

krdahmer
April 14th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Buddy loves when I file my nails.... he fights me for the file! I thought he was just a weirdo!

My guys like those small fur mice, anything with string, laser and I know there is an extremely well 'used' Dr. Noys catnip filled squirrel around here somewhere (Fagan has completely defurred it:rolleyes:...better that squirrel than his belly I guess! ;) ). Windy also likes those little plastic jacks....but only if I play with her soccer style. Oh and as for the cheapies.... nothing beats my hand under the blankets, an empty cardboard box, or a rolled up plastic shopping bag! :laughing:

ROD
April 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM
chester likes the empty plastic bottle of soda. On the wood floors or when i walk him, they bounce all over and he tries to get it, but never knows which way it might bounce. :laughing:

clm
April 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Bentley's favorite toys, 1. anything Baxter has. 2. Anything he can shred.
3. Gabby the tabby (he thinks she's a living stuffy sometimes), 4. Mud. :frustrated:

Baxter's favorite toys, 1. shoes, he loves old sneakers. 2. kleenex or paper towels. 3. Stuffed toys, he loves his dollies.

Gabby the tabby's favorite toys, 1. cat trees. (she loves to race up and down them). 2. Insects, nothing gives her more pleasure than hunting down a bug. 3. Balls of wool. She finds them and winds them around everything.
4. Frank the cockatiel. She would love to play with him if I'd let her. :frustrated:

Squeak the calico's favortie toys, 1. Flying insects, coming into her favorite time of year when the dreaded houseflies start to make the odd appearance.
2. Her sister Mookie, loves to chase poor Mookie around.
3. Birds outside the window. She'll sit and watch them for hours.

Mookie the brick's favorite toys, 1. Birds outside the window. 2. Anything that rolls. She'll bat stuff around all the time. 3. Bugs, another cat that'll do anything to catch a bug.

Cindy

joeysmama
April 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hands down---an empty water bottle. And if anyone is nervy enough to drink one in front of him he stands there and barks (and he's not a barker) until you give him the empty. (sans label and cap)

In Cooper's world all water bottles belong to Cooper !!:)

Love4himies
April 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Jasper's favourite toy: anything that moves, including other cats.
Sweet Pea's favourite toy: long piece of rope or skate lace.
Puddles' favourite toys: Crocheted (sp?) stuffie with catnip in it and tennis balls.

kalola
April 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Good thread!:thumbs up
My Shelties love to play with anything that squeeks and anything they can play tug of war with. Looking forward to getting them outside to play.
Our little Pom Cody is a hoot and loves to play with almost anything you through. I think his favorite thing to play with is his huge green octopus!:rolleyes:However he shows alot of dominence when he tries to kill Ocky!:D
During the summer Cody is a water freak and has his own pool that he plays in for a very long time and he loves big ice cubes on a hot day. He is so funny to watch with the ice cubes. We put them in a shallow tub of water and he picks everyone of them out. He actually dives for the ice cubes.

I am hoping my Shelties like a little water fun too!:D

growler~GateKeeper
April 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Duffy LOVES Emery boards even chewing abit on them :D She also loves the laser pointer especially when all the lights are off in the room, her most favorite is a white knitted mouse (no catnip in it) that a friend of my mum's made for her & my :rip: Mischief

Duffy just reminded me that she also loves to play w/pencils\pens even better when she can steal them off the table :laughing: and shoelaces :thumbs up

zarhad
April 14th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Ill I've noticed is that Mishou will play with everything but the toys I bought her, today it was a measuing tape like the one for sewing...:shrug:

speaking of laser pens, does anyone know where to buy 1 in toronto I havent seen them in forever...

krdahmer
April 14th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I got mine at the dollar store along with lots of extra batteries.... they work fine... just as good as the one I got at Staples for $25!

duttypaws
April 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM
lets forget the grape.... LOLA loves the lazer.... the smartypants has realised i control it so meows when i stop! :frustrated: but i think its more entertaining for me watching her slide into the bedroom chasing the dot!! hehee (well im amused)....(p.s. got mine in Canadian Tire today!!! )

*edit* four hours later... still playing with the laser:frustrated: she has realised i control it so meows when i stop and she cant see the dot!!... but funnily she hasnt slept ALL day and maybe that will knock her out until a descent hour rather than getting up with the sun!

growler~GateKeeper
April 16th, 2008, 01:15 AM
LOLA loves the lazer.... the smartypants has realised i control it so meows when i stop! :frustrated:

:laughing: Duffy (16 yrs) does that too, but she only plays for about 20-30 mins before leaving, of course she is an old gal ;)

duttypaws
April 16th, 2008, 06:22 AM
:laughing: Duffy (16 yrs) does that too, but she only plays for about 20-30 mins before leaving, of course she is an old gal ;)

i wish four hours later.... :yell:

Joeyjoejoe
June 17th, 2008, 10:25 AM
My boys love playing with water bottle caps!

Here's my theory: The caps are small and light enough that kittens can easily bat it around. Also the odd shape with cause it to slide, roll, jump, and flip when swatted (on hard surfaces). Thus becoming unpredictable. Also, my kittens can bite into the cap's edge, so they can carry it with their mouth.

When both my cats playing with the cap, it looks like they are playing hockey! They'll even body check each other to get to the cap first!

Jim Hall
June 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM
an emoty paper bag thorw soething in it and the cat goes crazy trying to get it out

a double wide rolloing pper stuffe with cat nip and wrapped with a rubber band

jealma
June 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Abby loves to play with a carrot. The floor is covered with other toys yet she will toss and chase the carrot. Usually when she is done I have all kinds of little pits of carrot all over the floor to pick up. Here is the video of this I have posted on youtube. Hope it works :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HULdgYoMJI8

Purpledomino
June 17th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Emmy my Minpin's favourite toy is the brush nozzle from my vacuum cleaner. She always tries to grab it and steal it when I have it out...so I have to watch her so she doesn't hide it. :)

lotus
June 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Peanut loves plastic margarine containers.
Sugar (mill rescue) just discovered what toys are and will play with everything. Then put in her bed we have to empty her bed every night.